Lightheaded when resting but not when riding

BHL

Jul 11, 2016
I have been riding regularly for the past 9 years. Annually, I participate in a long climbing tour like the Iron Horse or the Copper Triangle (50+miles~6kft of climbing). I look at them as opportunities to get in shape. In the last few years I have had lightheaded issues, typically occurring at the end of long climbs. But as soon as I get back on the bike, it goes away. I have heard many explanations. My doctor thinks it's dehydration. The riders have mentioned blood pressure, altitude or even posture. I try to drink a bottle (22 oz.) an hour and have found a pretty good balance of gels and hammer perpetuem as nourshment. I recently had the same issue at the end of a climb at 8000ft. I live just shy of 6000 ft. so I doubt it's altitude. So, I am leaning towards the possibility that it could be blood pressure related.

I guess I am wondering if anybody has an explanation of why the Lightheadedness only comes on when I stop, and why it goes away when I start ridding again? Thanks for taking the time to read.

This is due to blood pooling in your lower extremeties without the aid of muscular contractions to aid in venous return to your heart and ultimately your brain.

Reactions: BHL
This is due to blood pooling in your lower extremeties without the aid of muscular contractions to aid in venous return to your heart and ultimately your brain.

Agree your explanation is the most likely, absent any other issues. I've read that this is the prime reason we see TdF riders doing a cool-down spin on trainer bikes immediately after a stage. Probably a great idea for all of us after a hard climbing ride....much better than just stopping with a high HR and standing around. If the OP could take his BP immediately after stopping, bet it would confirm the drop.

OK, just found the Livestrong page. Note recommendation to do a cool-down after exercise. http://www.livestrong.com/article/394946-light-headed-after-exercising/

Yup. Usually not the sign of disease. Will be exacerbated in hot weather, when blood pools in the skin.

Thanks for all your responses, I think blood pooling does sound like the most logical cause. Also, it is likely I am not hydrated well enough. I was told as a rule of thumb to shoot for a bottle of water an hour. I did 4 hour ride last weekend and drank 4 bottles, but was down 3 pounds after the ride. It was very hot, but that amount of water loss would probably have some effect. Additionally, I have all of my life had low blood pressure, not sure if that would increase the effect.

Agree your explanation is the most likely, absent any other issues. I've read that this is the prime reason we see TdF riders doing a cool-down spin on trainer bikes immediately after a stage. Probably a great idea for all of us after a hard climbing ride....much better than just stopping with a high HR and standing around. If the OP could take his BP immediately after stopping, bet it would confirm the drop.

OK, just found the Livestrong page. Note recommendation to do a cool-down after exercise. http://www.livestrong.com/article/394946-light-headed-after-exercising/

The article really points in the direction of low blood pressure in my case. Thanks for sharing it.

Ditto on your article too. Thanks!
Fortunately it's all fixable fairly easily, so get to a doctor, preferably a sports doctor, if you have one in your town, so they can tailor a program to fit your specific needs.

The article really points in the direction of low blood pressure in my case. Thanks for sharing it.

Yes, if you already have low BP, losing 2% or more of bodyweight to dehydration isn't going to help it. Best advice I'd have is to keep drinking, make sure you are getting plenty of salt and carbs with your water on the rides.

And plan to take it easy in the heat. Even if you do everything right, riding in hot sun with a 100F heat index like we have lately is a killer. At some level of power output, your body core temp will start to rise....and then you'll hit the wall, and could need rapid cooling or medical attention.

Weirdly, some riders here seem to think battling the heat for 100 miles in the middle of AL summer is a badge of courage. Maybe I'm just too old, but if the event features "cooling stations and paramedics at rest stops"....I'll pass.

I try to take it easier when the heat exceeds 90 degrees, especially when the humidity is high, but if a person is involved in racing they don't usually have a choice if they want to race or not because it's too hot.

I think you need some energy bars because feeling weak and dizzy after a ride means you lost a lot of energy and that your body needs to replenish it or else you'll collapse. I think basically you need food and water.

When you're exercising, and increasing your body action, then your heart pumps faster to elevate your blood flow to the whole body. But, when you stop or decrease exercise, your heart rate goes down, and so is blood flow. So, when your doctor tells you to drink more water, he is right because that way you keep your blood flow levels, however, you should consider check your blood pressure levels, specially if those issues run in your family. Blood pressure affects your blood flow, and mostly the one that goes to your head, so that can make you feel lightheaded.

I'm pretty sure that this is the case. I'm a generally healthy 26 year old without any sort of cardiovascular condition, and even I experience this sometimes. It generally happens if I'm in the middle of an intense exercise and I stop abruptly.

One time my cousin and I were having an intense race, and I was feeling winded but fine otherwise. Then once we stopped at the end, I suddenly felt like I was going to pass out. So rather than standing still, we grabbed our bikes and started walking back down the path we raced. As soon as I started walking, the feeling of faintness passed.

It's why most fitness routines involve both a warm up and a cool down, because starting or stopping any exercise abruptly isn't good for your circulatory system.

Hey there! It's not uncommon to experience dizziness or lightheadedness after intense exercise, even for someone with a healthy cardiovascular system. This can happen when you suddenly stop moving, as your blood flow and heart rate adjust. One way to prevent this is by gradually cooling down with a lighter intensity exercise rather than stopping abruptly. Keep up the great work!