List of cycling equipment required for a starter?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by krnd, May 3, 2016.

1. krnd

krnd New Member

Hello there, I'm wondering which kind of equipment should I be in the look out for and if anyone's got some sort of list for starters equipment that you consider necessary.

I've seen various shapes and kinds of helmets and protectors, and I'm not sure if there is a reason or not, and whether there are more things I should be concerned about. I do know how to ride a bike but I haven't done it enough and it was always without protection so any guidance is much appreciated.

Tags:

2. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

1). A complete bike. Unless you're a kid, or you live somewhere where you have a mandatory helmet law, that's all that's "required".

Now, what's suggested:

A helmet. All helmets sold in the US have to be tested and approved by the CPSC, and meet or exceed minimum standards. There's no evidence that, a MIPS helmet being a possible exception, a more expensive helmet gives you better protection.

Tools, a spare tire tube, and a means to inflate the tire. At least a multi-tool and tire levers for tools. A mini-pump or a CO2 inflator kit for after you replace the flat tube. You can also carry patches and glue. I prefer to pop in a new tube and get back riding ASAP. Patches and glue are for the second flat on the same ride. ;)

After at, it's all personal preference. A few things that I always have with me are my debit card, drivers' license, and health insurance card---just in case.

3. krnd

krnd New Member

Thank you for the response, I was just worried I would require a lot more than the listed, as I have most of it and will probably look to upgrade said gear.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I remember when I started riding, all I needed was the bike. Maybe it was 5 months after when I bought cycling shorts followed by the helmet. For starters, the helmet is a must because it is for your own protection. Maybe the next item on the list should be the lights if you would be riding at night since it is dangerous to be on the streets without a light. For fashion, get a cycling shorts and shoes as well.

5. USABIKE800

USABIKE800 New Member

6. warrengeb

warrengeb Member

Well, the helmet is the most important part that you should buy. You know, we can't call it a part. It's actually accessory. It is very important for your safety and I would highly recommend you to wear a helmet while riding. You should never go out for riding on the highways without a helmet.

7. LittleAnna

LittleAnna New Member

The equipment that is necessary for me is a helmet, bottled water, my iphone, gloves, and some tools that I have attached in case of emergency. Even with just these items, I feel like I'm carrying too much.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Don't forget to bring a good attitude and the willingness to battle through some tough times or some pain. I remember going on some pretty rough rides when I really first started with one of my more advanced friends and I got a little down, so it does happen. I would just hate to see someone give up on something that can give you so much joy.

9. bikestudio

bikestudio New Member

On The Bike

*Bottle cages and bottles (3)
    *Brooks Saddle
    *Bar ends
    *Tubus Racks (read about Choosing Racks)
    *Wide Tires (read about Tires for Bike Touring)
    *Good Pedals

Bike Tools & Spares

*Allen keys to fit screws on your bike (they are easier to maneuver than a multitool in tight spots)
    *Bike grease
    *Chain lubricant
    *Touch-up paint for scratches to the frame (you can use nail polish)
    *Brake cable
    Thin Spanners*Gear cable
    *Brake pads (8)
    *Bungee cords (4)
    *1 Cable lock
    *1 D-lock
    *Cone spanners for taking hubs apart
    *Nuts and bolts (get replacements for all the kinds that are on your bike)
    *Proofide (if you have a leather saddle)
    *Puncture repair kit
    *Rag for cleaning
    *Replacement spokes (stored inside the seatpost)
    *J.A. Stein Mini Cassette Lock (to take the cassette off when you have a broken spoke)
    *Tire levers First flat tyre
    *Topeak multitool
    *Topeak Mountain Morph pump
    *Zipties (good if your rack breaks)

Panniers & Handlebar Bags

*Ortlieb (incredibly durable – waterproof and we’d say even bombproof)
    *Dry Bag (for the tent)
    *Cheap dollar-store heavy duty bag (great for storing all manner of extras, bungee corded onto the back)

10. Marako0406

Marako0406 New Member

Wow there would be really a long list of the stuff I need for cycling. Thanks for this tip and the things you included on your list that I forgot to include in mine. One really needs to be ready before anything else upon pursuing this sport. Definitely will put into note on this one.