little lessons you've learned

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by urge2kill, Nov 30, 2014.

1. urge2kill

urge2kill Member

#1 Always hit cracks perpendicular when it's wet. I regularly cross a railroad that runs oblique to the road, and has two-inch-high cracks between platforms. My handlebars jolted leftward when I crossed it in the rain, but fortunately I was crossing slowly.

#2 If you have to fall and have a choice, it's fifty times better to hit the curb and launch into the grass. This can be done at any intersection with a 45-degree turn.

Tags:

2. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI New Member

I agree with lesson #2 that you posted. Grass is much softer than concrete, and I will put a large amount of money behind that. Falling is part of cycling, and you just have to go down sometimes. One lesson I learned is that you need quick thinking and common sense to become an experienced cycler.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Member

Anytime I cross tracks that are tracks alone in the street & not accompanied by a walkway I get off my damn bike. too many times have I hit slick tracks in traffic & regretted not getting off.

4. kana_marie

kana_marie Member

I avoid railroad tracks as much as I can.

5. Runnerdo

Runnerdo New Member

Never try to compete with the truck behind with your earphones on. You might not live to hear the end of the song you are listening to.

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

Always bring a set of tools with you, that's the first lesson I learned, always be prepared. You'll never know when youll see a beautiful girl with bike trouble.

7. treecko142

treecko142 Member

When you're going for a long ride, always check the weather forecast first so you'll be more prepared if there's a possibility of rain, etc. that may affect your schedule.

8. reighn

reighn Member

I got a lot of scratches on knees when I was young because of accidents on my bike. I fall a lot times and one of those accident almost send me to hospital. But it's alright. That's life, Its still best experience.

9. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

If you need to crash think quick and find a soft spot and it usually means it's not in front of you so pick to go left or right lol.

10. reighn

reighn Member

Well, it's all concrete, it's hard to find the soft spot, LOL. NFA warehouse in our province is the best place to use my bike, even there're a lots of big trucks during busy hours, but during early morning before 7 and 3pm onwards, it's looks like a ghost town.

11. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

If the weather is not good then don't ride, do something else. This is what I learned, because there's a lot of times when there's a weather bulletin of bad weather that I would still ride because I can't see or feel it yet but after an hour the weather changes from sunny and breezy to dark and rainy. So it's wise to just listen to weather bulletins.

12. treecko142

treecko142 Member

Definitely, it's been a habit of mine to always check the weather forecast beforehand, particularly because I don't like getting wet while biking, but also because it's much more dangerous with slippery roads and reduced visibility, and the chance that the weather could be really bad and you might get stranded somewhere or worse.

13. reighn

reighn Member

That's right, agree with the lesson 2. The grass will help you not to get more scratches and somehow the softness of the grass prevent you to get broken bones if you really fast.