looking for a small food chopper/processor

Cc0112453

Guest
I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
enough to justify the expense. I have used those hand cranked jobs that they hawk at flea markets
and such. They actually work pretty well and except for the fact that I have to buy a new one every
year, they would suit my needs. I once bought a small electric chopper that seemed like a great idea
but didn't work worth beans. It couldn't chop more than about a quarter cup of vegetables at a time.
More than that and it wouldn't mix and chop. In other words it would only chop what was on the
bottom and wouldn't pull the upper layers into the blade. You ended up with chunky, lumpy stuff. Now
I see that Cuiseneart and Kitchen Aid both make a miniature food processor or chopper for around
$49. Any one have any favorites? Cuisenart also has a mid sized processor for around $100. Again I
don't do that much to justify getting one. Why in the hell Kitchen Aid doesn't make one that sits on
their blender base I will never know. Other blender manufacturers do but I just purchased an
overpriced ($119) Kitchen Aid blender an don't need another one. I'd like to take it back because it
isn't that good of a blender. The controls are whacky and the glass blending pitcher is heavy as
hell. Appreciate any suggestions.

Remove nospam to respond

Doug

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:14:00 -0800, "cc0112453"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Appreciate any suggestions.

What is wrong with a good quality chef's knife and a cutting board?

"cc0112453" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
> enough to justify the expense. I have used
those
> hand cranked jobs that they hawk at flea markets and such. They actually work pretty well and
> except for the fact that I have to buy a new one
every
> year, they would suit my needs. I once bought a small electric chopper
that
> seemed like a great idea but didn't work worth beans. It couldn't chop
more
> than about a quarter cup of vegetables at a time. More than that and it wouldn't mix and chop. In
> other words it would only chop what was on the bottom and wouldn't pull the upper layers into the
> blade. You ended up
with
> chunky, lumpy stuff. Now I see that Cuiseneart and Kitchen Aid both make
> miniature food processor or chopper for around $49. Any one have any favorites? Cuisenart also has
> a mid sized processor for around $100.
Again
> I don't do that much to justify getting one.

I have a mid-size Cuisinart, about 5-cup capacity, which I have owned for about 10 years. My only
complaint with it is that it lacks a coarse grating blade, which might be available as an optional
accessory. I never checked into it because I can use the larger food processor if necessary. Anyway
I saw the same cuisinart advertised for $50 yesterday which is a very good deal at that price..

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
>enough to justify the expense.

I bought a no-name mid-size FP very cheaply a few years ago. I'd had a discount store brand for
about 20 years before it gave out. I don't think size is relevent to use, just as a mini-wok isn't
any good for stir-fry for one or 2. What I was looking for was light weight and easy clean. This one
fits the bill, 'though it doesn't have a wash-the-dog attachment. :)

"cc0112453" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
> enough to justify the expense. I have used
those
> hand cranked jobs that they hawk at flea markets and such. They actually work pretty well and
> except for the fact that I have to buy a new one
every
> year, they would suit my needs. I once bought a small electric chopper
that
> seemed like a great idea but didn't work worth beans. It couldn't chop
more
> than about a quarter cup of vegetables at a time. More than that and it wouldn't mix and chop. In
> other words it would only chop what was on the bottom and wouldn't pull the upper layers into the
> blade. You ended up
with
> chunky, lumpy stuff. Now I see that Cuiseneart and Kitchen Aid both make
> miniature food processor or chopper for around $49. Any one have any favorites? Cuisenart also has
> a mid sized processor for around $100.
Again
> I don't do that much to justify getting one. Why in the hell Kitchen Aid doesn't make one that
> sits on their blender base I will never know. Other blender manufacturers do but I just
> purchased an overpriced ($119) Kitchen Aid blender an don't need another one. I'd like to take
> it back because
it
> isn't that good of a blender. The controls are whacky and the glass blending pitcher is heavy as
> hell. Appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Remove nospam to respond

I can't see getting one of the very tiny machines. I would get an inexpensive standard sized FP. It
will still chop small items, but you will also have the ability to make dough and do larger tasks.
It the times when you need to chop 6 onions of make 5 cups of bread crumbs that the FP makes the
most sense. I saw a Black and Decker FP on sale for $20 in the last couple of weeks at Meijer's. I
have a Braun FP that has served me well for nearly 20 years. You can get a Braun for under $100 and
it comes with a 600 watt motor and several slicing/shredding disks. Take a look here:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Braun+Food+Processor&btnG=Search+Froogle
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Black+and+Decker+Food+Processor

If you are intent on getting a tiny chopper, then you might consider one of the chopping attachment
for an immersion (stick) blender. If you take a look at the first search I listed you will see an
example of the Braun unit. An immersion blender is quite handy if you don't already have one. I have
a very old Braun immersion blender with a chopper/FP attachment. It works well, but since I have a
FP on my counter, I never think of using the one for the immersion blender.

I'm having a helluva time trying to reply to this. Something funny w/my news settings... Apologies
if the other three replies eventually show up!

How about the Black and Decker Handy Chopper? I had a previous model from the late 80's/early 90's,
worked like a charm.

I also was gifted with an Ultimate Chopper, which actually costs much more than the BD model and is
not as good...

-j.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
>enough to justify the expense. I have used those hand cranked jobs that they hawk at flea markets
>and such. They actually work pretty well and except for the fact that I have to buy a new one every
>year, they would suit my needs. I once bought a small electric chopper that seemed like a great
>idea but didn't work worth beans. It couldn't chop more than about a quarter cup of vegetables at a
>time. More than that and it wouldn't mix and chop. In other words it would only chop what was on
>the bottom and wouldn't pull the upper layers into the blade. You ended up with chunky, lumpy
>stuff. Now I see that Cuiseneart and Kitchen Aid both make a miniature food processor or chopper
>for around $49.

The Cuisinart Mini Prep is nice for chopping small quantities.

> Any one have any favorites? Cuisenart also has a mid sized processor for around $100. Again I
> don't do that much to justify getting one.

Cuisinart also has a small fp (3 cup) with several discs in addition to the chopping blade, plus a
blender jar that sits on the base. It is called the SmartPower Duet.

Why in the hell Kitchen Aid
>doesn't make one that sits on their blender base I will never know. Other blender manufacturers do
>but I just purchased an overpriced ($119) Kitchen Aid blender an don't need another one. I'd like
>to take it back because it isn't that good of a blender. The controls are whacky and the glass
>blending pitcher is heavy as hell. Appreciate any suggestions.

My suggestion- go ahead, take the blender back and get the Cuisinart SmartPower Duet. $79.00.

"Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "cc0112453" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:ZOdnT0EDemXqECiRVn-
> [email protected]...
> > I'm in need of a small food processor. I don't want a full sized one because I wouldn't use it
> > enough to justify the expense. I have used
> those
> > hand cranked jobs that they hawk at flea markets and such. They actually work pretty well and
> > except for the fact that I have to buy a new one
> every
> > year, they would suit my needs. I once bought a small electric chopper
> that
> > seemed like a great idea but didn't work worth beans. It couldn't chop
> more
> > than about a quarter cup of vegetables at a time. More than that and it wouldn't mix and chop.
> > In other words it would only chop what was on the bottom and wouldn't pull the upper layers into
> > the blade. You ended up
> with
> > chunky, lumpy stuff. Now I see that Cuiseneart and Kitchen Aid both make
> > miniature food processor or chopper for around $49. Any one have any favorites? Cuisenart also
> > has a mid sized processor for around $100.
> Again
> > I don't do that much to justify getting one. Why in the hell Kitchen Aid doesn't make one that
> > sits on their blender base I will never know. Other blender manufacturers do but I just
> > purchased an overpriced ($119) Kitchen Aid blender an don't need another one. I'd like to take
> > it back because
> it
> > isn't that good of a blender. The controls are whacky and the glass blending pitcher is heavy as
> > hell. Appreciate any suggestions.
> >
> > Remove nospam to respond

Little Cuisinart. Less than $40. EZ to clean Lynn from Fargo

You might to better posting this question on rec.food.equipment. We have a Black and Decker semi
mini processor that Consumer Reports rated highly. We use it more than two large Cuisinarts. It may
not be manufactured anymore; however if you look at: http://www.shopping.com/xPR-
Black_and_Decker_SC400_Super_Chopper I think that product is probably pretty close. To your
chopping, Kent