Looking for good whole grain bread recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by kalanamak, May 30, 2005.

  1. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > My wife and I have been doing the Weight Watchers Core Plan.
    > We really like the switch to high fiber food, but one thing we miss is
    > fresh baked bread.
    >
    > My wife only really made white bread from scratch.
    >
    > Anyone have a recipe for hearty whole grain bread?

    There are many recipes. I don't have one that I'm sure will hit your
    approval on "health" and taste. Bread has calories...so while it is
    good, I do opened faced sandwiches more than when I was younger.
    For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
    wheat berries)
    Don't rush the rising or the kneading....hard to overdo either. I try to
    let my dough "rest and rise" over night in the fridge (or the porch if
    it is cool), knead again, and let rise. It sound complicated, but if you
    live a regular life, it is easy to organize for this.
    Some non-instant, non-fat dried milk powder seems to help it "keep" longer.
    I find it rises better with a little touch of sugar or honey in it.
    Added do-pep or gluten is favoured by many.

    A fairly no-fail place to start with some nice whole grain recipes is
    Beard On Bread. The library can get it for you.
    best of luck, and post your "winner", please.
    blacksalt

    Tags:

  2. My wife and I have been doing the Weight Watchers Core Plan.
    We really like the switch to high fiber food, but one thing we miss is
    fresh baked bread.

    My wife only really made white bread from scratch.

    Anyone have a recipe for hearty whole grain bread?

  3. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 05:28:58 -0700, kalanamak <kalanamak@qwest.net>
    wrote:

    >There are many recipes. I don't have one that I'm sure will hit your
    >approval on "health" and taste. Bread has calories...so while it is
    >good, I do opened faced sandwiches more than when I was younger.
    >For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
    >wheat berries)

    Any recommendations about grinders? Size... type... brand? Do most
    health food stores carry winter wheat berries?

    I'm kind of interested in this although I'd probably still use a bread
    machine :>

    Sue(tm)

  4. In article <ygFme.2$LZ2.2196@news.uswest.net>, kalanamak
    <kalanamak@qwest.net> wrote:

    > For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
    > wheat berries)

    > blacksalt

    Show off. :-Q
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
    "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

  5. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <thisisbogus@macbogus.com> wrote:

    >In article <ygFme.2$LZ2.2196@news.uswest.net>, kalanamak
    ><kalanamak@qwest.net> wrote:
    >
    >> For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own winter
    >> wheat berries)

    >> blacksalt

    >Show off. :-Q
    >--

    Hmmm, do you think by "my own" she means that she grows and harvests
    them? :>

    Sue(tm)

  6. In article <429bcc13.9185260@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
    address.in.sig@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    > <thisisbogus@macbogus.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <ygFme.2$LZ2.2196@news.uswest.net>, kalanamak
    > ><kalanamak@qwest.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> For really tastey stuff: Fresh good quality flour (I grind my own
    > >> winter wheat berries)
    > >> blacksalt

    > >Show off. :-Q
    > >--

    > Hmmm, do you think by "my own" she means that she grows and harvests
    > them? :>
    >
    > Sue(tm)
    > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    We'd have to smack her for sure, Sue, if that's the case. :) Might
    even make the trip west just for the purpose.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
    "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

  7. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:00:39 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <thisisbogus@macbogus.com> wrote:

    >In article <429bcc13.9185260@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
    >address.in.sig@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:45:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    >> <thisisbogus@macbogus.com> wrote:

    >> >Show off. :-Q
    >> >--

    >> Hmmm, do you think by "my own" she means that she grows and harvests
    >> them? :>
    >>
    >> Sue(tm)
    >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

    >We'd have to smack her for sure, Sue, if that's the case. :) Might
    >even make the trip west just for the purpose.
    >--
    >-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
    >"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

    You can take the girl out of Kansas...

    Anyway, be careful if you go, she might hand you a scythe and put you
    to work!

    Sue(tm)

  8. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > My wife and I have been doing the Weight Watchers Core Plan.
    > We really like the switch to high fiber food, but one thing we miss is
    > fresh baked bread.
    >
    > My wife only really made white bread from scratch.
    >
    > Anyone have a recipe for hearty whole grain bread?

    You probably know this, but unless you are planning on using your flex
    points, bread isn't core, so you could always just find a low fat/cal
    "light" bread recipe.

  9. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > You can take the girl out of Kansas...
    >
    > Anyway, be careful if you go, she might hand you a scythe and put you
    > to work!

    I do know someone who hand harvests his own wheat. Anything from him is
    a treat....fresh lima beans, yum, but I get my winter wheat from the
    only NON-"we used to be an old hippy co-op but now we have huge amounts
    of prepakaged yuppyfood for berky-wearers" store left in Seattle that
    *I* can find..."The Grainery" just NW of the airport. They get it from
    Canada.
    Once you have the tool, grinding grain is not that big of a hassle, but
    the nutty taste of non-rancid/stale WW flour is lovely.
    blacksalt

  10. >You probably know this, but unless you are planning on using your flex
    >points, bread isn't core,

    Yeah, I know. But more fiber means lower point value. Plus, we miss
    making bread. So if we're going to make it, we want it as close to
    Core as possible.

  11. Emil

    Emil Guest

    www.kingarthurflour.com
    They make a good White Whole Wheat that makes a less dense whole wheat
    bread.

    --
    Emil Luca

    <Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message

    >>You probably know this, but unless you are planning on using your flex
    >>points, bread isn't core,

    > Yeah, I know. But more fiber means lower point value. Plus, we miss
    > making bread. So if we're going to make it, we want it as close to
    > Core as possible.

  12. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    Emil wrote:
    > www.kingarthurflour.com
    > They make a good White Whole Wheat that makes a less dense whole wheat
    > bread.

    FYI, google about this on groups: a fair number of people consider this
    nasty flour giving a substandard taste.
    blacksalt

Share This Page