Maintenance Cost

BHappy

Mar 22, 2015
Hi, i am shopping for a road endurance bike planning to do about 7,000 Km yearly.
I was told that at 140 pounds i might need 2 chains and 2 cassettes each year.
I was also told that the 9 or 10 or 11 last about the same but prices differ.
Is that information correct
Going for Sora instead of Tiagra (with a 50-34) would save me what 80$ each year
Thanks ;)

Might save you a little in cash but you lose it on performance and durability. Stick with Tiagra

At that distance, 2 chains is about right. But if you do change them, your cassette will last a lot longer, the cassette will probably last at least all year, possibly longer depending on riding style. People who do t shift properly tend to go through cassettes quicker as they stay in just one or two gears all the time.

you can also find cheaper chains. I use KMC a lot as they make really nice chains and they work really well, and cost much less.

Cassettes do not have to math the group set either. So you could put a SRAM cassette on there and save money as well.

Reactions: BHappy
ABNPFDR said:
Might save you a little in cash but you lose it on performance and durability. Stick with Tiagra

At that distance, 2 chains is about right. But if you do change them, your cassette will last a lot longer, the cassette will probably last at least all year, possibly longer depending on riding style. People who do t shift properly tend to go through cassettes quicker as they stay in just one or two gears all the time.

you can also find cheaper chains. I use KMC a lot as they make really nice chains and they work really well, and cost much less.

Cassettes do not have to math the group set either. So you could put a SRAM cassette on there and save money as well.
Thanks for your input. I suspect that the 9 speeds will drop resale value soon with all the 11. If they last longer the Tiagra seems to be a fit for me with the 12-30. :)

The tiagra group is nice for a fully functional bike without the bling factor. Sora is good too.

Cassettes and chains do not have clearly visible markings, you can use any grade for these components using Sora grade cassettes will not look out of place on a Tiagra equipped bike. I mix and match on my own rides. I use KMC and Sram chains and SRAM or Shimano cassettes - nothing looks out of place.

Reactions: BHappy