Melbourne: kona bicycle envy (police on bicycles)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by AndrewJ, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. AndrewJ

    AndrewJ Guest

    Melbourne:

    I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.

    Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    Of course I also am deeply envious of that accessory they wear around
    the waist that might come in handy in dealing with motorists. But
    that's another story :)

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    AndrewJ wrote:

    > Of course I also am deeply envious of that accessory they wear around
    > the waist that might come in handy in dealing with motorists. But
    > that's another story :)

    Yeah I wonder how often they get SMIDSY.

    DaveB

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Right! You! Turn off the ignition! Out of the car! Now! Throw the keys towards me! Put your hands up and put them behind your head! Don't move!

  4. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > DaveB Wrote:
    >> Yeah I wonder how often they get SMIDSY.
    >>

    > Right! You! Turn off the ignition! Out of the car! Now! Throw the keys
    > towards me! Put your hands up and put them behind your head! Don't
    > move!

    Don't forget they are Vic police. Shoot first and ask questions later :)

    --
    Bean "cheeky"

    Remove "yourfinger" before replying

  5. Bean Long wrote:
    > cfsmtb wrote:
    >> DaveB Wrote:
    >>> Yeah I wonder how often they get SMIDSY.
    >>>

    >> Right! You! Turn off the ignition! Out of the car! Now! Throw the keys
    >> towards me! Put your hands up and put them behind your head! Don't
    >> move!
    >>

    > Don't forget they are Vic police. Shoot first and ask questions later :)

    Didn't realise they bothered to ask questions :)

    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
    - Slartibartfast

  6. Euan

    Euan Guest

    AndrewJ wrote:
    > Melbourne:
    >
    > I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    > can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.
    >
    > Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    I'll have a close look on Monday. I park right next to them. Pretty
    sure that Bike Now does all their servicing etc.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  7. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "Euan" <euan_b_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > AndrewJ wrote:
    >> Melbourne:
    >>
    >> I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    >> can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    > I'll have a close look on Monday. I park right next to them. Pretty sure
    > that Bike Now does all their servicing etc.
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Euan

    Yes, was just looking through some of my favourites in the bicycle catagory
    on my puter and came accross the Bike Now website(forgot it was there
    actually) and they have a full range of kona MTBs listed.
    http://www.bikenow.com.au/bikes/06/kona_ht.htm

    Hope you find what you're looking for.

    cheers
    DJ

  8. Friday

    Friday Guest

    Bean Long wrote:
    > cfsmtb wrote:
    >
    >> DaveB Wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah I wonder how often they get SMIDSY.
    >>>

    >> Right! You! Turn off the ignition! Out of the car! Now! Throw the keys
    >> towards me! Put your hands up and put them behind your head! Don't
    >> move!
    >>

    > Don't forget they are Vic police. Shoot first and ask questions later :)

    Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Stop or we'll shoot!

    Friday

  9. Friday

    Friday Guest

    Euan wrote:
    > AndrewJ wrote:
    >
    >> Melbourne:
    >>
    >> I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    >> can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    > I'll have a close look on Monday. I park right next to them. Pretty
    > sure that Bike Now does all their servicing etc.

    Do they lock their bikes when they park them?

  10. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Friday wrote:
    > Euan wrote:
    >> AndrewJ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Melbourne:
    >>>
    >>> I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    >>> can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    >> I'll have a close look on Monday. I park right next to them. Pretty
    >> sure that Bike Now does all their servicing etc.

    > Do they lock their bikes when they park them?

    No, hardly anyone does.

    First time I parked there I took my U-lock out and was just about to put
    it on when I looked around me.

    Not a single bike was locked.

    I then looked up and scarily big guys in scarily nearly black coveralls
    with lots of guns and stuff were busy tooling up for an op.

    I put the bike lock away and haven't even thought about using it there
    since.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  11. petulance

    petulance Guest

    AndrewJ wrote:
    > Melbourne:
    >
    > I'm really impressed by the Kona bikes the local police ride. But I
    > can't find anything resembling these on the Kona website.
    >
    > Does anyone know what type of Kona these are ?

    No idea since I'm in Sydney.

    But hey ... if you are impressed with Konas, I have a Kona hardtail
    frame in immaculate condition that I am willing to part with.

    I'll even thrown in the headset, fork, front derailleur, bottom bracket
    and cranks ...

    :)

  12. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    This be them (with possibly diff paint scheme as they are 2-3 yrs old now...)
    http://tinyurl.com/5nkpu

    if you like them, check out the paramedics' ones

    They get HID red/blue flashing lights and all sorts of other toys
    (not to mention handlebar moustache :D )

  14. Euan

    Euan Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > This be them (with possibly diff paint scheme as they are 2-3 yrs old
    > now...)
    > http://tinyurl.com/5nkpu

    Yep, that's it.

    > if you like them, check out the paramedics' ones

    Had a chat with one of the bike paramedics during the Commonwealth
    Games. He said it beat working for a living but in all seriousness was
    a real good thing; biggest problem was educating the dispatchers as to
    how quick they could get places.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  15. petulance

    petulance Guest

  16. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "flyingdutch" <flyingdutch.29imoc@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote in
    message news:flyingdutch.29imoc@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com...

    > This be them (with possibly diff paint scheme as they are 2-3 yrs old
    > now...)
    > http://tinyurl.com/5nkpu
    >
    > if you like them, check out the paramedics' ones
    >
    > They get HID red/blue flashing lights and all sorts of other toys
    > (not to mention handlebar moustache :D )
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Did they get handlebar moustaches or moustache handlebars? Or both?

  17. AndrewJ

    AndrewJ Guest

    Excellento. That's them. Many thanks!

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > This be them (with possibly diff paint scheme as they are 2-3 yrs old
    > now...)
    > http://tinyurl.com/5nkpu
    >
    > if you like them, check out the paramedics' ones
    >
    > They get HID red/blue flashing lights and all sorts of other toys
    > (not to mention handlebar moustache :D )
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

Share This Page