Micro rests during L4 intervals

peterwright said:
Jim - I agree

In this case it is by no means an overstated FTP or a lack of form. This is an elite / semi pro rider who regularly performs at a level that backs up my FTP and has also completed a 60 min TT at this level.

In his races he always has the highest economy rating of all my riders - often at 23-25% time spent not pedalling, so it is a pattern in his riding that certainly helps his racing rather than hinder it.

I think it is a lack of focus and a need to change position etc.

Peter
I that case he simply needs to learn to ride continuously. Have him do 1 hr non-stop tempo rides until he's more confident or better yet, use a fixed gear... that'll teach him. ;) If this lowly cat. 3 can ride tempo indoors for 2+ hrs without stopping, so can your boy.:)

Piotr said:
I that case he simply needs to learn to ride continuously. Have him do 1 hr non-stop tempo rides until he's more confident or better yet, use a fixed gear... that'll teach him. ;) If this lowly cat. 3 can ride tempo indoors for 2+ hrs without stopping, so can your boy.:)
Maybe you can explain the issues, from a physiological point of view, with these micro rests and how they are hurting his possible improvements.

Do that and I promise you I will get on his a** about them... :)

Jim

otb4evr said:
Maybe you can explain the issues, from a physiological point of view, with these micro rests and how they are hurting his possible improvements.

Do that and I promise you I will get on his a** about them... :)

Jim
I didn't bring it up as a problem, now did I? :p

otb4evr said:
But are they really hurting his improvements? I don't know the answer to that question for sure, but my thought, based on some stuff that I've read and also my personal experience, is that "micro rests" are a great way to relieve some of the mental stress of long threshold intervals, while still providing nearly the same physiological benefits.

otb4evr said:

Jim

Jim, these micro rests sure didnt hurt me, eh :D