Mirror options advice

tenbee

Sep 25, 2016
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a bike that will have these bar ends and need some advice on my mirror options. Are there any worthwhile handlebar mirrors or creative options other than taking the bar ends off or using a helmet mirror?

My bike isn't ready for pick up yet, but I wanted to go ahead and order the mirror with my other essentials before I go pick the bike up. (Previous bike and all accessories were stolen). I've seen a Zefal "spy" mirror, but it seems pretty tiny to use as side view mirror for incoming traffic.

...Actually nm. It seems that some wonderful soul posted a picture of the Zefal Spy mirror mounted on the same bar ends that I have. I think that mirror may suffice after all.

I think I'm just really excited about getting back on a bike. lol

tiny? it doesn't seem small to me, keep in mind you can't put a car size mirror on a bike.

There are two kinds of mirrors you can get, bar end like the one you showed or a mirror that fastens on to either the helmet or glasses. Some people prefer one over the other, I happen to like the helmet or glass mounted kind because I can tilt my head without turning the bar to see.

This is the one that I got and this is the cheapest place to buy it that I could find: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Take-A-L...14235&wl11=online&wl12=31975453&wl13=&veh=sem

Here is another bar end mirror you may want to look at: http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...5o-fEWessB0J1ci1G0Kr8je2Ti1rMIuJ_LRoCNBXw_wcB

I am a very experienced cyclist and actually I used a lot of mirrors. However, none met my expectations. I find the main disadvantage of all bike mirrors is a limited field of view and the view depends only on the position of the handlebars or frame instead of the will of the cyclist. In the end I decided to come up with my own. The result presented on YT video: unique bike mirror. In the video is the comparison of views in a conventional bike mirror with that of my. While driving. Now I always ride with my mirror. Even when I forget to take it - I'm coming back home, because I can not ride without it. Without this mirror, I feel insecure, I do not know what is going behind me, etc. And conversely; when I use it, I feel safe; I know when I can safely turn left, when I have to be careful and need to stay close to the curb and so on. And the field of view is incomparably large. When it comes to installation - it is extremely simple. Namely ... does not require any installation! At all. Really! What's more - the mirror is quite versatile and can equally well be used by people riding on a Segways, roller-skates, skateboards, electrical boards and other devices. Regards.

I watched that video for that mirror but I'm not so sure if I like it, though admittedly I haven't used it, but here's my initial observation. In order to see behind you the rider would have to ride with the leg that's on the mirror side bowlegged outward which is what I saw the rider on the video doing; I would not want to do that constantly just to see behind me, or have to make a conscious effort to do that whenever I feel the need, and riding like that is not natural nor correct.

I watched that video for that mirror but I'm not so sure if I like it, though admittedly I haven't used it, but here's my initial observation. In order to see behind you the rider would have to ride with the leg that's on the mirror side bowlegged outward which is what I saw the rider on the video doing; I would not want to do that constantly just to see behind me, or have to make a conscious effort to do that whenever I feel the need, and riding like that is not natural nor correct.

I do not understand your objection. You do not have to look back all the time. This is exactly like the rearview mirror in the car. You are peeking only when you deem necessary. Besides, you see everything in front of you normally. As you can see the mirror is placed in front and to the side. Absolutely not obscure the view to the front.

I do not understand your objection. You do not have to look back all the time. This is exactly like the rearview mirror in the car. You are peeking only when you deem necessary. Besides, you see everything in front of you normally. As you can see the mirror is placed in front and to the side. Absolutely not obscure the view to the front.

Again, if you watch the video, which I believe you already know this because I think you're the creator, that in order to see behind you you have to bow the one leg out, which I'm not saying that's a deal breaker, I'm just saying there are other mirrors on the market where I don't have to do that and I can see in front of me as I would normally without obscuring the view to the front.

Again, I do not quite understand. What have the legs for this ? Maybe this is an English idiom, which I do not know ? I repeat; you are riding on the bike normally. All the time you have in the mirror the image of road behind you. You can look or not - it depends only on you. In addition, the mirror is at the height of your eyes - so natural for you height of the view. For comparison; the image in the mirror placed somewhere on the bicycle frame is from unnaturally small height.
Regards.

Again, I do not quite understand. What have the legs for this ? Maybe this is an English idiom, which I do not know ? I repeat; you are riding on the bike normally. All the time you have in the mirror the image of road behind you. You can look or not - it depends only on you. In addition, the mirror is at the height of your eyes - so natural for you height of the view. For comparison; the image in the mirror placed somewhere on the bicycle frame is from unnaturally small height.
Regards.

Legs, the two appendages attached to your **** or bum.

From what I can tell from the video you cannot ride the bike normally with your mirror. In one area of the video it shows the riders right knee bowed outward away from the frame so obviously he can see the image in the mirror; in another area of the video the rider is pedaling and you can just barely see the knee bowed out, but in the mirror you can see the riders leg is indeed bowed out as he pedals, and every 1/2 revolution of the pedal stroke the leg is partially covering the mirror image while the other 1/2 pedal stroke is not because the knee is bowed out, which would be happening all the time if the leg, knee, wasn't bowed out which then would block the mirror from being able to reflect any images from behind the bike.

And I doubt a cyclist that is touring could use the mirror at all since the panniers in the rear of the bike would be the only thing the mirror would see and nothing of the road.

AGAIN, I'm not against your mirror, for some this may be an idea mirror to have, I just don't want to have to bow out one leg to use a mirror when there are other mirrors on the market that a person doesn't have to do that. Mirrors like helmet and sunglass mounted ones (I have a sunglass one), or the bar end mirrors that a lot of people swear by, don't require any more taking the eyes off the road then does your downtube mirror, and neither of those other mirrors require bowing a body part out to use it.

Look, take the mirror to market, the worse that can happen is that it flops, but you may sell enough to make a decent living, so I say take the risk and go with it. Business is all about trial and error, if you have the stomach for this then go for it. Without trying to scare you away but in America about 78% of all new businesses fail, go bankrupt, within the first 3 years...BUT...those that failed and restart a new business have a much higher success rate with the 2nd attempt, so if this mirror does flop don't give up because your next idea may indeed be the winner. Even if the mirror only performs below average in sales but you're in the black, meaning positive cash flow, you're doing well believe it or not, and you can use the experience and money to start another idea.

I'm not against you, please note that, I just think personally that it would not work for the way I ride where my knees are place more inboard (bowed in) toward the top tube, even if my knees were parallel to the top tube the mirror still won't work for me. In America very few riders ride with their knees and legs bowed outward.

Cha... cha... It's really some funny misunderstanding. Froze - You probably watched some other video. I posted 2 videos on YouTube; "bike umbrella presentation/cycling in the rain/solution" and second: "unique bike mirror" both signed by me, ie. karol dobrzyński

Cha... cha... It's really some funny misunderstanding. Froze - You probably watched some other video. I posted 2 videos on YouTube; "bike umbrella presentation/cycling in the rain/solution" and second: "unique bike mirror" both signed by me, ie. karol dobrzyński

Hmm, maybe, all I did was highlight what you wrote in your post, this: "YT video: unique bike mirror" then pasted it on google which took me directly to this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow, that's going to be funny if this isn't the mirror you were talking about! LOL

Ok, if this is NOT the mirror please post the actual web address instead of just words so we can go directly to the link, thanks.

Of course it's not my video. My is this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It's actually very funny. That's why I did not understand what you mean with these legs. You're right that the view in the mirror placed on the bicycle frame is not very good. Apart from the obscure by the legs it's like to sit on the road and then watch the situation on the road. Certainly this perspective is much worse to assess the situation on the road.
default.jpg

Froze. Please write "unique bike mirror" not on Google but direct on YouTube. Regards.

Froze, but I did not ask about the "Bike-Eye mirror" but about my "unique bike mirror." See above, please, and type in the YouTube "unique bike mirror." What is your opinion ? Regards.

Campybob, I got your opinion on e-mail, but this is not my mirror. My is "unique bike mirror." See above, please, and type in the YouTube "unique bike mirror." What is your opinion ? Regards.

Links....how do they work. The guy can invent a mirror, but can't link?

neolux...your mirror is the hairband affixed, spring loaded thing. Right? If so, it's just another variant on the helmet/eyeglasses mounted mirror. No clue what, if anything the spring does. I've known guys that crashed while wearing the conventional mounts and none were injured by their mirrors, but I suppose another layer of protection is not a bad thing as long as the rear view isn't negatively affected.

As for the links - that's what I posted it, but when I clicked "post it" it showed up only the image of my video.
You're right, my mirror is a version of this fastened to the helmet. But is every bike mirror is not a version of some rear-view mirror for bicycles? I hope this is not a complaint on your part.
My intention was to construct a mirror for cyclists who do not use helmets and ride in normal clothes - for work or shopping and so on. That's usually rides in Europe. Because European cities are more compact and do not need to overcome long distances. I think my mirror does not have the drawbacks of conventional mirrors ( ie. very limited field of view, the view depends only on the position of the steering wheel or frame) and not have also the major drawback of this fastened to the helmet ( ie. very cumbersome to use and decreasing the picture because the mirror is small and convex ). But it's of course my very subjective assessment. Regards.

... And I forgot to add that my mirror is very versatile. This means that it can be used equally well for roller skating, electric boards , segways and other devices.