More Computers/ HRM

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Peter Rollason, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. As saddlesore seem destined to never return my computer I better look for a new one - a few
    questions if anyone has any info:-

    The average speed on my first ever compter was crap - as didn't auto start and stop - on my sigma
    this was much better - do all new computers now do this or do some still use the crap average
    calculation.

    The topeak panoram looks good - what I want to know is would it go on the bars along side a HRM.

    Combined computers and HRM seem to start at about £ 60 - as my current HRM doesn't do average HR -
    this would be of use - anyone use these ?

    Pete.rollason@virgin.net

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I have this one from SuperGo - it doesn't have average HR, but it works, and its dirt cheap.

    http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?parentid=15332&secid=24&subid=1512

    Kyle

  3. In article <Ht55a.187463$HN5.815950@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>, "KBH" <kbh9@hollasch.com> wrote:

    > "Peter Rollason" <peter.rollason@tesco.net> wrote in message
    > > As saddlesore seem destined to never return my computer I better look for
    > > new one - a few questions if anyone has any info:-
    > >
    > > The average speed on my first ever compter was crap - as didn't auto start and stop - on my
    > > sigma this was much better - do all new computers now do this or do some still use the crap
    > > average calculation.
    > >

    > > The topeak panoram looks good - what I want to know is would it go on the bars along side a HRM.
    > >

    > > Combined computers and HRM seem to start at about £ 60 - as my current HRM doesn't do average HR
    > > - this would be of use - anyone use these ?
    > >
    > > Pete.rollason@virgin.net

    > I have this one from SuperGo - it doesn't have average HR, but it works, and its dirt cheap.
    >
    > http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?parentid=15332&secid=24&subid=1512
    >
    > Kyle

    That Supergo looks like a smoking deal. I have a Cateye CC-HB100, which is their HRM/computer. It
    has average HR and the usual array of cyclocomputer functions.

    What I don't like about the Cateye is that it doesn't retain max HR numbers (which would be more
    useful than the average HR number it does retain), and it doesn't have dual wheel size memories, so
    switching it from one bicycle to the other is slightly more annoying that it needs to be. On the
    other hand, the mounts and wiring are fairly readily available, so moving it from one bike to
    another is easy.

    The Cateye does either auto or manual start/stop: it's your choice. Manual is useful because it
    gives you effective pace on long rides with rest stops. Auto is useful because it tells you what
    you're actually doing when not stopped at a stoplight.

    My rando friend dislikes Cateyes for their single odometer and more importantly, because they can
    only hold 12 hours on their stopwatch function. You have to be a pretty serious randonneur for that
    to matter.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, rcousine@sfu.ca http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  4. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:51:39 -0000, "Peter Rollason" <peter.rollason@tesco.net> wrote:

    >As saddlesore seem destined to never return my computer I better look for a new one - a few
    >questions if anyone has any info:-
    >
    >The average speed on my first ever compter was crap - as didn't auto start and stop - on my sigma
    >this was much better - do all new computers now do this or do some still use the crap average
    >calculation.
    >

    >The topeak panoram looks good - what I want to know is would it go on the bars along side a HRM.
    >

    >Combined computers and HRM seem to start at about £ 60 - as my current HRM doesn't do average HR -
    >this would be of use - anyone use these ?
    >
    >Pete.rollason@virgin.net

    Take a look at the Vetta WIRED HRM /Cyclomter on sale at Perfromance for $69. I have had great
    success with it over the past 5K miles.

    I tried and sent back the wireless version. Of course the HRM is wireless.

    cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:19:20 GMT, "KBH" <kbh9@hollasch.com> wrote:

    >I have this one from SuperGo - it doesn't have average HR, but it works, and its dirt cheap.
    >
    >http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?parentid=15332&secid=24&subid=1512

    Here's another endorsement for the SuperGo model. Coincidentally I just installed another of these
    on my touring bike yesterday. That makes five bikes with this model (if you count the Vetta HR1000s)
    installed, and one of the Vettas is now on its thirteenth season.

    With temperatures looking like going into the mid-40s here in the Chigaco area today, I'm planning
    on putting the new SuperGo to use in and hour or so.

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Bob Denton wrote:

    > Take a look at the Vetta WIRED HRM /Cyclomter on sale at Perfromance for $69. I have had great
    > success with it over the past 5K miles.

    I have the same one from the same source (now $75
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.html?SKU=15377&Store=Bike ). I'm very pleased with it. I
    bought the wired cadence kit separately for it (a new mounting bracket with 2 wired sensors instead
    of one) and find that a valuable data source as well. It has functioned flawlessly. I will
    eventually stick the old bracket on my MTB.

    I've only had it since October 2002 but I train outdoors all winter in Vancouver so I can say with
    confidence that it resists heavy rain very well. I laugh when I hear of people who pull over when it
    rains and put a baggie over their computer.

  7. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Bob Denton wrote -
    > Take a look at the Vetta WIRED HRM /Cyclomter on sale at Perfromance for $69. I have had great
    > success with it over the past 5K miles.
    >
    > I tried and sent back the wireless version. Of course the HRM is wireless.

    Bob

    What was the problem with the wireless model? I was on the verge of ordering one of these and if
    there is a problem I would like to know.

    Thanks

    Tim

  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > Take a look at the Vetta WIRED HRM /Cyclomter on sale at Perfromance for $69. I have had great
    > success with it over the past 5K miles.
    >
    > I tried and sent back the wireless version. Of course the HRM is wireless.

    Bob

    What was the problem with the wireless model. I am on the verge or ordering one so would like to
    know of any problems.

Share This Page