Motobecane Super Mirage (1977)

nortonham

Jun 23, 2013
I have not bought a bike in a long time, but have been looking to get back into it. I was wondering if anyone with more knowledge thinks this bike is worth the price.
http://nh.craigslist.org/bik/3874381360.html

I've done some research, and it might be priced too high. However, I rode the bike today and it rode well. It really was refurbished with great care and attention to detail. Any advice would be helpful.

Originally Posted by nortonham .

It did seem like a lot of money, but it has new parts and a solid frame.
If the frame size works for you (a 60cm frame which would best be suited for someone who is taller than 5'11") then it may not be a bad bike for you at a slightly lower price ...

HOWEVER, you need to realize that the particular bike probably has 27" wheels for which there are fewer tire choices AND subsequent availability for replacements may need anticipating if-or-when the tire will need to be replaced.

If "Greenland" is in FLAT Florida where shifting is not required AND you are taller than 5'11" tall then I would recommend that you offer the seller no more than $175 for the bike ... basically, $100 + $75 for the work he did on it which you would otherwise need to pay a shop ...

Otherwise, go to a thrift shop & buy a bike for $50-or-less & spend up to $125 to bring it up to speed (i.e., can of 3-in-1 oil + new tires & tubes + YOUR own elbow grease).