Mountain Bike - Microshift RD-M55 rear derailleur

titmouse

Dec 26, 2009
I'm building a hard tail mountain bike and I'm planning on using the M55 unit.

NA reviews have been spotty, however, the European, Australian, and South African reviews indicate that it is not a bad unit and is equivalent to the Shimano Deore LX series.

Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Much appreciated.

titmouse said:
I'm building a hard tail mountain bike and I'm planning on using the M55 unit.

Does anyone have experience with this unit?
I have no direct experience with this derailleur, but since no one else is volunteering, I'm giving you my two cents.

Nashbar customers are giving the base Microshift road derailleur a pretty enthusiastic thumbs up. These units are pretty faithful Shimano copies, so if I munged my DA 7800 unit I would not hesitate to give Microshift a try.

The 8-speed road dual control levers are another story, though. If you have the opportunity, run from them, fast.

Thanks for the reply - it seems more reviews are provided for the road bike components vs. the mountain bike.

How much will/(does) a MicroSHIFT M55 rear derailleur cost?

FWIW. I would guess the MicroSHIFT rear derailleurs should be as reliable as those made by other component manufacturers as long as you lube/grease it as necessary and don't abuse it (e.g., crash the bike & land on the rear derailleur).

So, I would also consider buying one of their road rear derailleurs as a replacement if I actually needed a new rear derailleur; and, depending on the circumstances, I might consider one of the MicroSHIFT MTB rear derailleurs, too.

Having said that, when in doubt, buy a Shimano rear derailleur (unless you are using non-compatible, SRAM stuff) ...

If I needed a rapid rise rear derailleur, then I would currently consider the Shimano SLX rear derailleur ... otherwise (because I think the SLX is only available in the rapid rise version), if I needed a 'regular' rise, MTB rear derailleur (and, didn't feel like locating an M55 ... you apparently know from whom you can buy one, already) then I would probably look for a NOS-or-used XT rear derailleur (for cosmetic reasons).

Thanks guys for your input.

I bought two of these units for $26/each.

I replaced my son's el cheapo Shim TY30 unit (the one without the B (or Body Angle) screw) with the M55. He says the unit shifts better and does not "chain skip" like the original unit (and easier to adjust on my end - the design seems to take from both SRAM and Shimano).

Looks similar to the Shimano Deore LX series (I have on my other MTB) and per other European sites, seems to be just as reliable.

Usually I buy Shimano drive train components, but since I'm building my other MTB on the cheap, the M55 might be a good choice (Once I finish building the unit and test driving I'll provide more input).

Thanks again for your responses.

titmouse said:
I bought two of these units for $26/each.
$26 each ... great price!

Because the MicroSHIFT rear derailleurs are mechanical 'copies' of the Shimano rear derailleurs, you should get a lot of solid years of use from them ... so, those were definitely a very good purchase on your part.

Well, my son seems to enjoy this derailleur better than the Shimano - when climbing steep high grass hills (while in granny gear), the chain doesn't slip like the Shimano unit.

Also, when adjusting, seems it takes the adjustments from both SRAM and Shimano - like SRAM, the Body Angle adjustments needs more fine tuning than the Shimano, oh well (noticed also that the cage has similar profile as the SRAM).

Next step is finishing off the hard tail - having everything in place, but just have to install the chain and adjust accordingly.

Will update as necessary.

And if I find that this unit does not perform as needed, I can always buy a Deore LX for $30 USD.:)

I have the RD-M55 and it is perfect for mountain biking .but does any one know where to get a replacement hanger because mine got snapped off my a rock

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the hanger is specific to the bike frame, not the derailleur.

If you have the snapped/broken hanger, but you don't have the manufacturer/model of the bike, you can look at various bike part sites and compare various hangers via their pictures.