Multi vitamins

CelikOk

Dec 29, 2006
Hello folks. New member here :) I am wondering who else takes multi vitamins here. I use the GNC Mega-men (yeah, stupid name) multi vitamins. After using them for over year I get bad nausea when I take them. I reduced to one a day (supposed to take 2 a day) but I still get nausea. Did anybody else experience this?

ÇelikOk said:
Hello folks. New member here :) I am wondering who else takes multi vitamins here. I use the GNC Mega-men (yeah, stupid name) multi vitamins. After using them for over year I get bad nausea when I take them. I reduced to one a day (supposed to take 2 a day) but I still get nausea. Did anybody else experience this?
If you take none, does your nausea go away?

Generally, I am pretty ruthless with OTC stuff. If it seems to cause anything bad, I stop, right away.

Wayne

I know I am benefiting from the multi vitamins. The problem is that I get nausea when I take it. As I said reducing to one a day did not help. I am trying different things like not taking it with coffee and drinking more water with it. I also gave it a break for 2 weeks in case something in it had a long half-life that was accumulating in my body. None of it helped. I got nausea on the first one after the 2 weeks break. I tried Centrum multi vitamins. They were even worst. So I am wondering if anybody else had this problem and found a solution.

ric_stern/RST said:
how do you know? do you have a vitamin deficiency?

Ric
I eat a pretty balanced diet, no junk food. But since I started taking the multi vitamins I feel better. It even made me a calmer person. I think I had vitamin B deficiency. I was probably not getting enough C and calcium either.

Generally, if you are getting sick, your body is trying to tell you something.
Personally, for me, I would heed the nausea before I heeded the "makes me
feel better". There may be allergies at work here, there may even be reactions
to some of the nutrients, such as Iron in the vitamin.

If you really feel you have an issue with B vitamins, you might try dropping
down to a simple B complex vitamin for a while.

Wayne

There this realy good thing you should try to make you feel better and faster, seriously it works wonders, it's called..

TRAINING!!!!:D

I get nausea whenever I take copper or zinc on an empty stomach, and a mens' multi would have lots of zinc.

Do you take the multis with food? It sounds like you just have them with coffee or water.

garage sale GT said:
I get nausea whenever I take copper or zinc on an empty stomach, and a mens' multi would have lots of zinc.

Do you take the multis with food? It sounds like you just have them with coffee or water.
Thanks for the info. GT. These days I take it after food with water, but I still get nausea. So I have stopped taking them. I'll look into this copper/zinc content. May be I can try multi vitamins that does not contain copper/zinc.

ÇelikOk said:
Thanks for the info. GT. These days I take it after food with water, but I still get nausea. So I have stopped taking them. I'll look into this copper/zinc content. May be I can try multi vitamins that does not contain copper/zinc.
Rather than selectively subtracting, I would start from a small set and work forward. Starting for example with a B + C set....

Wayne

dockeen said:
Rather than selectively subtracting, I would start from a small set and work forward. Starting for example with a B + C set....

Wayne
Yeah, that would be smarter, though it may take longer to figure out the culprit if indeed the culprit is copper/zinc.

Anyhow I've checked the GNC multi vimtamins, it has 25mg of zinc (when taken as directed equals to 167% of daily amount), Copper 2 mg (100%). There is also Manganese 2 mg (100%) and Chromium 120 mcg (100%). But as I noted even at half these amounts I get nausea.

ÇelikOk said:
Yeah, that would be smarter, though it may take longer to figure out the culprit if indeed the culprit is copper/zinc.

Anyhow I've checked the GNC multi vimtamins, it has 25mg of zinc (when taken as directed equals to 167% of daily amount), Copper 2 mg (100%). There is also Manganese 2 mg (100%) and Chromium 120 mcg (100%). But as I noted even at half these amounts I get nausea.
All other things aside, *please* be careful. Strange things can happen, and your long term health is very important.

Wayne

ÇelikOk said:

what would be smarter still, is to go to a doctor and ascertain if you're actually deficient in anything.

at worse you're potentially harming yourself, and at best you've got expensive pee.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
what would be smarter still, is to go to a doctor and ascertain if you're actually deficient in anything.

at worse you're potentially harming yourself, and at best you've got expensive pee.

ric
And it is important to note that having a payoff function that one
"feels better" is not a definitive as one might think. For example, there
are subjects in controlled studies who do medically improve from taking
a placebo.

Wayne

dockeen said:
And it is important to note that having a payoff function that one
"feels better" is not a definitive as one might think. For example, there
are subjects in controlled studies who do medically improve from taking
a placebo.

Wayne
Thank you all for your comments. I am careful about what I eat. I stay away from all artifical food additives, hydrogenated fats etc. But when it comes to vitamins I make an exception. I am sure I have benefitted from the vitamins. Since I stopped taking them I know I have stopped taking them, I can feel the difference. At $25 for 180 tablets it is not that expensive. I used to have a much more expensive pee when I used to drink 2-4 pints of real ale every other day. So I am sure there are other ways, worst ways to pee it away.

I've read more about the zinc content. Apparently it is a well know fact that zinc can give you nausea. So I am pretty sure that is the culprit, so I'll look for multi vitamins that does not contain zinc/copper mixture.

ÇelikOk said:
Thank you all for your comments. I am careful about what I eat. I stay away from all artifical food additives, hydrogenated fats etc. But when it comes to vitamins I make an exception. I am sure I have benefitted from the vitamins. Since I stopped taking them I know I have stopped taking them, I can feel the difference. At $25 for 180 tablets it is not that expensive. I used to have a much more expensive pee when I used to drink 2-4 pints of real ale every other day. So I am sure there are other ways, worst ways to pee it away.

I've read more about the zinc content. Apparently it is a well know fact that zinc can give you nausea. So I am pretty sure that is the culprit, so I'll look for multi vitamins that does not contain zinc/copper mixture.
Most people do benefit from a good multivitamin, and GNC typically isn't in that category. Look for a company that has high qulaity standards, and you should get better results - and expensive pee when you get more than you need of the water soluble vitamins (just like the pro atheletes).

nomotornozen said:
Most people do benefit from a good multivitamin, and GNC typically isn't in that category. Look for a company that has high qulaity standards, and you should get better results - and expensive pee when you get more than you need of the water soluble vitamins (just like the pro atheletes).
GNC vitamins work for me. Can you give an example of high quality vitamins? I always thought GNC vitamins were as high quality as they get.

Also, just to update, I figured out the problem. It was because I was not drinking enough water and at times I was taking it with coffee. Since I switched to good full glass of water I do not get any problems after taking it.

ÇelikOk said:
GNC vitamins work for me. Can you give an example of high quality vitamins? I always thought GNC vitamins were as high quality as they get.

Also, just to update, I figured out the problem. It was because I was not drinking enough water and at times I was taking it with coffee. Since I switched to good full glass of water I do not get any problems after taking it.
I've used these http://metagenics.com/ for years, with great results. Taking vitamins after eating helps with digestion as well as aborbtion, are you eating first too?

nomotornozen said:
I've used these http://metagenics.com/ for years, with great results. Taking vitamins after eating helps with digestion as well as aborbtion, are you eating first too?
Yes I do. Thanks for the info. I had a look at metagenics. It smells of herballife kind of company practices. No thanks. I'll stick to GNC. I can buy their products from several outlets near where I live and online without going through a 'special' contact. GNC has been around since 1935, I think they are well established. I consider their products "high quality" like millions of other people.

ÇelikOk said:
Yes I do. Thanks for the info. I had a look at metagenics. It smells of herballife kind of company practices. No thanks. I'll stick to GNC. I can buy their products from several outlets near where I live and online without going through a 'special' contact. GNC has been around since 1935, I think they are well established. I consider their products "high quality" like millions of other people.
You're right about herbalife - that's multilevel marketing. The "special contacts" Metagenics uses health care providoers, most of them are docs that have training in nutrition. And what are the qualifications needed to sell GNC products?