Muppets

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
People - co-workers- who dont ride.
Comments like : "oh my god where do you live? that's too FAR !!"
"What ? its not normal ? why don't you drive your car to work ?"
"Aren't you too old?"
OK what sort of responses can I give to these @rseholes without the threat of being marched down to HR (human resources) for a little talking to about workplace insults?

Aussie Steve said:
...OK what sort of responses can I give to these @rseholes...?
Why bother responding? Save your energy for battling those Southerlies.

The normal thing:

So I don't need to find an hour a day to go to the gym to stay fit and healthy
So I don't end up dying early of preventable obesity related illnesses
Because it is far more enjoyable than driving
Because it is faster than driving
et...

First, be kind, like those guys who knock on people's doors and try to save souls.

Not for someone who is in good shape!
"What ? its not normal ?"
For many trips it is actually better for everyone when I drive my bicycle. For instance, there are more parking spots for others.
"why don't you drive your car to work ?"
Because bicycling is more convenient, cheaper, healthier and better for me.
"Aren't you too old?"
I keeps me younger the more I do it.

Aussie Steve said:
"What ? its not normal ? why don't you drive your car to work ?"
"Aren't you too old?"
OK what sort of responses can I give to these @rseholes without the threat of being marched down to HR (human resources) for a little talking to about workplace insults?
Funny, most people I run into kinda give me a "wow, you're pretty ambitious!" sort of respect....and my commute ain't nothin', just 13 miles round trip (including trip to daycare to pick up my kid).

Usually if it gets to "why would you do that?" I tell them I lost about 4 inches off my waist in about a month without altering my diet, and have to gas up my car less than once a month. That's good enough for most.

lance99 said:
just flash the cables connecting your thighs

to your lower leg muscles
:eek:
Ahh a fellow OCR rider...what year is yours, mine is 2000 model with 105 group, it weighs as much as a small SUV and I hate it 90% of the time,- but shite, you get what u pay for :(
OK those "cables" ? you talking bout the ITB (ilio tibial band)? or just those 2 pairs of tendons behind your knees?

After climbing for 23 kms distance, 1700 meters verticle a female that had past us in here van asked me and partner, "how were you able ride up here"?

My reply: Dope, lots and lots of performance enhancing dope.
I like to give them what they want to hear.

I worked for a major American company that shall remain nameless (but don't rent videos from them or you'll be a BLOCK head) where the manager tried to get me fired for riding my bicycle to work. It was a 30-mile round trip commute (15 each way) and he actually took it to HR. HR defended me (in this case) saying that according to the manual all I had to possess was a "reliable" means of transportation. There was no mention of "motor" or car in the book. Otherwise anyone who took the bus to work could also be fired.

They eventually fired me but the manager really had to stretch for a reason. But I figured that at 59 years old, if I wanted to cycle to work that was my business and not theirs.

Trekker2017 said:
I worked for a major American company that shall remain nameless (but don't rent videos from them or you'll be a BLOCK head) where the manager tried to get me fired for riding my bicycle to work. It was a 30-mile round trip commute (15 each way) and he actually took it to HR....Otherwise anyone who took the bus to work could also be fired.

They eventually fired me but the manager really had to stretch for a reason. But I figured that at 59 years old, if I wanted to cycle to work that was my business and not theirs.
I dont understand, why would he try to fire you? did he fear that any time it rained, you would ring up sick? if he's like the other muppets, he would have no understanding of riding. The man is a knob to the nth degree !!!

Aussie Steve said:
I dont understand, why would he try to fire you? did he fear that any time it rained, you would ring up sick? if he's like the other muppets, he would have no understanding of riding. The man is a knob to the nth degree !!!
I have no idea what his problem was. And there were times when I was the only worker to show up. I saved his ass on at least 4 occasions by being the only person in the third busiest story on the east coast. I was doing the job of 4 people and he still had the nerve to give me sh*t about things that weren't done. And far be it for him to come in on his day off.

And, by the way, the other workers (most at least 40 years younger than me) all thought I was either stupid or crazy for cycling to work.

Trekker2017 said:
...And, by the way, the other workers (most at least 40 years younger than me) all thought I was either stupid or crazy for cycling to work.
Hey someone posted on another site- "people who dont ride are just jealous 'cos they only have enuff energy to go from the couch to the Fridge" and "your wife wishes you had MY energy you loser !!" hahaha
Like I said, these ppl are MUPPETTS - yesterday I did a nice 51 k ride (very windy) last nite at the petrol station, attendant asked me how my day was, I told him what I did, he said "why the hell would you do THAT?" he was a young bloke and it annoyed me heaps.
I wanna print a T-Shirt that i can wear at work on casual days, but without upsetting anyone that might say "My Body- My business" or "Waging war against obesity" or "carbon neutral- except after spicy Nachos"
People remember riding as a kid, on a heavy bike, and gettin off and walking up hills... so they never have our experiences so can never understand. Like someone who's only ever flown in small commuter aircraft, if you told them you flew for 18 hours in an airliner they wouldnt get it.... drawing on their own experiences is all they have.

Trekker 2017 If your workplace didnt provide shower facilities, that may have upset some of your co-workers... but anyway that bloke is typical of those who dont understand.

Aussie Steve said:
Trekker 2017 If your workplace didnt provide shower facilities, that may have upset some of your co-workers... but anyway that bloke is typical of those who dont understand.
Shower facilities... that's a good one. They fired me over a roll of toilet paper. The manager wouln't provide any and I got tired of unplugging the toilet every time one of the female workers used paper towels to wipe her butt. So I took $1 out of petty cash and went down the street and bought a roll of toilet paper and they fired me for stealing.

We have a shower at work. It is where they store all of the dirty mops and mop buckets. I would be better off bathing in the retention pond behind the building.

Aussie Steve said:
I wanna print a T-Shirt that i can wear at work on casual days, but without upsetting anyone that might say "Waging war against obesity" or "carbon neutral- except after spicy Nachos"
That's some funny stuff.

Chavez said:
That's some funny stuff.
The "Waging War" one would look good on me. I'm a fat man with strong thighs. Most of my friends can't believe that I ride as much as and as far as I do. By the way, one of my roommates actually makes T-shirts.

Trekker2017 said:
The "Waging War" one would look good on me. I'm a fat man with strong thighs. Most of my friends can't believe that I ride as much as and as far as I do. By the way, one of my roommates actually makes T-shirts.
I don't get in as many long rides as I'd like, but my BMI says I'm "obese" so I guess that's close enough (believe me, I certainly can lose some pounds off my 5'9" 225 lb body, but I don't feel as if I'm in the "obese" category); still, being a bigger person on a bike is a good example - "hey, I can do it, anyone can do it"

Chavez said:
I don't get in as many long rides as I'd like, but my BMI says I'm "obese" so I guess that's close enough (believe me, I certainly can lose some pounds off my 5'9" 225 lb body, but I don't feel as if I'm in the "obese" category); still, being a bigger person on a bike is a good example - "hey, I can do it, anyone can do it"
How much is 225lbs in kgs? OK my mobile (cell) phone has a converter... ahh 102 kgs. I'm, 78 kgs= 171 lbs...
I just weighed myself the other day, I thought I was about 72kgs but found out I was78 !!not happy, have to stay off the fried chicken...