Muscle pain.

JB Fernandez

Feb 3, 2018
What do you usually applies on your legs after a long ride and you are suffering severe muscle pain? Please share your technique on easing such pain.

Reactions: Kakashi
I apply hot compress on my legs when there is muscle pain. But I take a bath first to stabilize the temperature of my body and it would also help me to relax. With feet on the stool, the hot compress is placed under my legs and it's up to me to adjust the pressure depending on the heat. And after the hot compress, I would be wearing pajamas.

I've got some hot ice packs that I always use on my muscles after riding in the sense that it is one of the best ways my gym instructor back then always tell me to use when I'm having muscular pains. The thing with ice packs is that you can get to analzye your body and find out what really works for you. I hope that's gonna help you as well.

What do you usually applies on your legs after a long ride and you are suffering severe muscle pain? Please share your technique on easing such pain.

If you are suffering SEVERE muscle pain you rode too hard. Back off. You should not have anything other than mild pain from overuse. This indicates muscle growth. Severe pain indicates the destruction of muscle tissue.

If you are suffering SEVERE muscle pain you rode too hard. Back off. You should not have anything other than mild pain from overuse. This indicates muscle growth. Severe pain indicates the destruction of muscle tissue.

EXACTLY!!

If after your last ride you had severe muscle pain you need to take about a week off to let the muscle recover, then when you start back up you need to reduce your mileage by half, and spin faster in easier gears rather than mashing harder gears at lower RPM's.

Mild muscle discomfort is normal, this can be taken care of rather quickly by using a recovery drink mix after a ride if you find your muscles a bit sore the next day, a bit sore not a lot sore that is.

Yes heat is a good at relieving muscle soreness as long as the muscles aren't swollen or inflamed, if they're swollen or inflamed then you need ice. But if you get that sore that you need heat to calm things down and the next day those muscles feel weak then again your doing to much and need to back off about 25%. If your soreness doesn't go away by the following day after using a recovery drink your riding too long or mashing to hard of a gear. I never have to use heat, any soreness I get is handled by the recovery drink; on rare occasion I may use Ibuprofen if I rode to far, and may combine that with a hot shower beating on my sore muscle, and if I do allow that sort of soreness the next day I'm not riding.

Well, it turns up that I acquired a torn muscle during a long ride last month. I am undergoing medication right now and not allowed to do anything that would cause tension on my calf muscle.

Well actually nothing, I'm just allowed my muscles to heal itself. but if it's really hurt, i drink medecine, like alaxan, it's actually medicine for muscle pain in our country, somehow it's effective, but as long as I can, I will not drink any medicine and just ignore the pain.

Well actually nothing, I'm just allowed my muscles to heal itself. but if it's really hurt, i drink medecine, like alaxan, it's actually medicine for muscle pain in our country, somehow it's effective, but as long as I can, I will not drink any medicine and just ignore the pain.

Yeah. That's right. Avoid being dependent on pain killers as it might make your body immune to it and acquire a higher dosage of painkillers. It is best to just take a rest or put some ice on your muscle that is aching to help it relax.

Right. pain killer somehow is not helping, you're right for not become dependent and let us our body to heal that pain. Actually the pain will come if don't stretch your body before biking and push your self to the limit without any conditioning.

Well, it turns up that I acquired a torn muscle during a long ride last month. I am undergoing medication right now and not allowed to do anything that would cause tension
on my calf muscle.

Did the doctor mention how bad was it (Grade and Estimated recovery time)? Hope you recover quickly. Were you only prescribe medication or is it an elastic bandage or brace/crutches-requiring injury?

I use a lot of liniments:)
IMG_20180406_025341_449.jpg

Been using Omega Pain Killer the extra strength variant. It's takes away the pain in minutes.

It's either you do it hot or cold. You can do hot compress or use ice. But the most important thing to do is to relax and get some rest. Rest until its gone.

I like using natural herbs and ointment. There's something really relaxing about using stuff to relieve pain. It's also a therapy for the senses.

I use a lot of liniments:)View attachment 2834
Been using Omega Pain Killer the extra strength variant. It's takes away the pain in minutes.
Lol, this omega pain killer is my grandmother's favorite perfume. :) She always has and smell like this pain killer, but honestly this one is very effective in muscle pain. I'm using this and the efficascent oil.

I use a lot of liniments:)View attachment 2834
Definitely effective. In fact, it is also what I apply with muscle pain even not done by cycling and it is also the only available pain killer liniment in our house. I like its smell too, but I'm not a grandmother yet.

I think liniments made out of several essential and herbal oils like camphor, eucalyptus and others which has a cooling if not heating effect are the best and safest remedies for muscle pain and joint pains. Although for quick relief one can also take several non prescription meds like Mefenamic Acid, Ipuprofen, Paracetamol and other prescription drugs.

Not only am I a cyclist, but I always do a lot of hard work around my rural home, so more often than not I end up with aching muscles at the end of the day.

This might seem a little bit extreme at first, but I personally take a really—almost unbearably—cold shower. I started doing this after watching some YouTube videos about athletes who soak themselves in extremely cold water in order to recover after intensive training.

I wasn’t about to go to the lengths that they do, but I found that taking a really cold shower helped my muscles a lot. I think it’s mostly a result of reducing inflammation, the same reason that painkillers like Ibuprofen work.

Not only am I a cyclist, but I always do a lot of hard work around my rural home, so more often than not I end up with aching muscles at the end of the day.

This might seem a little bit extreme at first, but I personally take a really—almost unbearably—cold shower. I started doing this after watching some YouTube videos about athletes who soak themselves in extremely cold water in order to recover after intensive training.

I wasn’t about to go to the lengths that they do, but I found that taking a really cold shower helped my muscles a lot. I think it’s mostly a result of reducing inflammation, the same reason that painkillers like Ibuprofen work.

Apparently the science, ie jury, is still out on the cold water thing, see: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/241916.php

And read this: https://thedoctorweighsin.com/to-treat-sore-muscles-heat-or-cold/

Like anything when it comes to this sort of thing it starts out as a fad and people think something works only to find out later it didn't...or it did, time will tell, but I think I side with it not working due to the science behind how inflammation works as described in the second website I gave.

When I'm hurting I'll do everything to ease off the pain so I'll drink some pain killers first and apply liniments to the general area which hurts. If it's not serious then that would take care of it, if not then off to the reflexology clinic or to my acupuncturist.

When I'm hurting I'll do everything to ease off the pain so I'll drink some pain killers first and apply liniments to the general area which hurts. If it's not serious then that would take care of it, if not then off to the reflexology clinic or to my acupuncturist.

I'm assuming the pain you're having is not associated with a physical activity? Because if it is then you're overworking yourself if you have to resort to all the stuff you mentioned especially the last two.

Anyway some pain relievers that are in the class of nsaids is potentially destructive toward your kidney, and it can cause the risk of a heart attack or stroke to increase, all of which is the reason I stay away from them as much as possible, I don't mean I never take Ibuprofen or the such I just take it very rarely.

I try not to take any anything for pain. I had lower back fusion surgery about 7 years ago and my sawbones said not to the ride the bike for 8 months...well 8 months is a very long time and I was going stir crazy just after a week! So 3 WEEKS after the surgery I was on the bike taking it slow and only did a 1/2 mile the first time, by the time 4 months were up I was doing 100 mile rides! In fact if I didn't ride my back would hurt, and when I did ride the back the whole time riding wouldn't hurt much, and the pain stayed on the low side for about 24 hours after riding toward that 3 to 4 month riding period; earlier when I first did the 1/2 mile ride the pain would taper down a bit for about an hour, so the pain got better as time went on. I never told my sawbones I was riding for fear of the tongue lashing I would probably receive. Sure I risked major reinjury had I had a bike accident but I felt the relief I got from the pain even though it was short lived, plus the exercise and the freedom from boredom was more than worth the risk. I was on pain meds right after the surgery for about 4 weeks but I was only doing 1/2 the recommended dosage, then for the next 4 weeks after that I was doing about 1/4th of the doc recommended dosage. It wasn't that I was pain free just felt I could deal with the pain I had.

Today my back is mostly fine, it only really acts up if I set in a chair that for some reason my back doesn't like. My sawbones also told me I wasn't ever supposed to lift more than 45 pounds for the rest of my life...right, I own rental property and I have to carry bags of stuff all the time, just this week I lifted and carried 18 bags of concrete mix that weighed 90 pounds each and my back was fine. Someone has to carry that stuff and I'm not going to hire someone to do that, so I did it, if I had felt something odd happening I would have found help because I don't want to risk increased damage either; so I'm not completely insane just partially!!