Must make a decision soon! (Five Bikes)

Tyrone13

Sep 25, 2006
I've been shopping around for a bike for the past two weeks and feel as though I haven't made much head way. I would love any advice in deciding between a few bikes. They are the;

Bianchi Vigorelli (steel) all altegra $1,500,

Fuji Ruibaix all altegra $1,500,

Trek 2200 mostly altegra $1,500,

Fuji Team (carbon frame) 105 components $1,700,

Specialized Roubaix Elite (carbon) mostly 105 $1,500.

All bikes are 2006 and on sale.

I'm mostly looking for a bike for long rides to lose weight and strengthen my legs. I now weigh 225lbs at 5'10". I'm looking to start going on 100 miles rides in the next couple of weeks. The thing is, speed isn't very important for me. I need to get back into shape to study Tai Chi and Kung Fu with my masters in China and begin teaching again. I've been slowly healing from a bad dislocated shoulder. I never knew tearing ligaments could could be so traumatising to the body and take so long to heal.

It just seems to me that all the bikes I've tested are great. I almost feel like I should flip a coin at this point since my knowledge on bikes is so limited. I used to ride my mountain bike over a year back, but mostly just for fun and a healthy means of transportation when I could.
I would also love to hear how anyone chose their bikes when they had such a tough decision. Everyone just tells me to choose what feels best which really hasn't helped much.

Well, please feel free to share any experience you have all had. Thanks!

I waited until I got below 200 pounds to buy a Specialized Roubaix Elite, and now I wish I had bought it much sooner. I bought a Specialized Crossroads Elite when I was 265 pounds. It took me two years to decide to get serious about riding and weight loss. During that time, I never road farther than 15 miles or faster than 10 mph. In December, though, I decided to get serious about losing weight. I started riding on the Crossroads on a trainer four days per week from December until May. Initially, I could only ride at 11 mph for 30 minutes. By May, I was riding 14 mph for 60 minutes. In May, I started riding on the road. By July, I was riding 100 miles per week at 13.5 to 15 mph on the Crossroads, and my weight had dropped to 200 pounds. I bought the Roubaix Elite, and three weeks later road it in the MS 150. I averaged 17 mph on the first day, and 15.1 mph on the second day. Now that it is getting dark early, I am back on the trainer during the week and can maintain 15.5 mph for an hour. I still use the Crossroads on the trainer and when I am riding on trails, but most of my fair weather riding is on the Roubaix. I am now 190 pounds, and plan to get to 180 by the end of the year.

The Roubaix Elite is fine for riders up to about 235 pounds. Keep the tires inflated to 120 psi, and check the wheels regularly to be sure they are true. I have never had a wheel go out of true on either bike, but that is the most likely problem for heavy riders. $1500 is a good price for a 2006 Roubaix Elite. The best I could find was $1799 (my LBS only had one left in my size, so they did not see a need to discount it), so I went ahead and got the 2007 for $1849. The 2007 has a 10 speed 105 rear derailleur instead of a 9 speed Ultegra, and the saddle has changed slightly (for the better) compared to the 2006, but at $1500, I would have bought the 2006 in a heart beat.

For me it would be a tough pick between the Bianchi and Specialized. The Specialized has been widely regarded as one of the most comfortable bikes by many reputable mags and riders. Steel on the other hand has always been a forgiving material and wonderful to ride. The steel will flex a bit more than the carbon Specialized, but now that I think about it, I love the Italian tradition of road bikes and would probably spring for the Bianchi. Though you should test ride each bike as much as you can and make your decision from there.