My cycling coach died yesterday while riding

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
One of the safest riders and racers I've known. Hellova Masters racer, great competitor. A nice guy that gave thousands of hours and dollars to developing racers and riders. Coach, group ride leader, road captain, club president and various other positions, tour group organizer...he did it all.

A man of great strength both physically and mentally. His first wife was a saint. She died of cancer many years back. His second wife I did not know, but she died also died. Ed was dating a gal from the local bike club and they seemed to be a perfect pair.

So many tragedies Ed had survived and he died doing what he loved...riding his racing bicycle.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20171112/bicyclist-75-is-killed-during-fall-off-vehicle

One of the safest riders and racers I've known. Hellova Masters racer, great competitor. A nice guy that gave thousands of hours and dollars to developing racers and riders. Coach, group ride leader, road captain, club president and various other positions, tour group organizer...he did it all.

A man of great strength both physically and mentally. His first wife was a saint. She died of cancer many years back. His second wife I did not know, but she died also died. Ed was dating a gal from the local bike club and they seemed to be a perfect pair.

So many tragedies Ed had survived and he died doing what he loved...riding his racing bicycle.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20171112/bicyclist-75-is-killed-during-fall-off-vehicle
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks, Zipp. Ed was a great guy. I still have not heard all the details of the accident. Regardless of the circumstances cycling and racing in my area will miss him.

From the local club's website:
ed_schenck.jpg

Yeah, Mr. B. It was, indeed a very freak accident. A one in a million shot. I've known several guys that were killed in weird crashes. One guy smashed into a tree, possibly while having a heart attack. Dead right there. One guy vaulted a guard rail and left his front wheel and snapped off lower carbon fork on the road side of the guard rail. He and the rest of the bike went over the rail and he broke his neck. DRT. No one witnessed those deaths. There's more, but I also added Ed's no-one-else-involved to the list. There was at least one witness to Ed's crash and it sounds like a simple matter of locking up the brakes and going over the bars.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I just caught this post, a little late I am, but I'm sorry Bob your friend and coach died. That was a freak thing. I wish I had the right words to say to make things better but I simply don't, only time does that.

My former coach died years ago but not from an accident, of all the strange things he had a heart attack just as he was waking up in the morning, this was after riding competitively for 20 or more years, he was only 42, his doctor said he had an athletes heart. Fortunately there has "only" been 2 people that I knew or sort of knew that lost their lives riding, one of them was his fault, the other was a inattentive driver.

Bob, odd question but was his bike fairly new? If so, did it have disk brakes?

The reason I asked those questions is because our LBS town is getting people with injuries from the brakes reacting faster then their use to, and in panic stops will lock up the wheels before they ever realize what's happening, this happened to my friend too, this the guy I did a brake test with between my rim brakes and his disk brakes (we came out tied after almost a dozen stops), but he said he had to stop suddenly due to a car door opening and he almost went over the bars. I know when I rode his bike I didn't like the feel of the brakes, they were too quick to respond with very little room in the lever action for modulation, and my friend wasn't use to the sudden response from the brakes when he smashed them in a panic but he was able to prevent going over, but it did spook him.

Thanks, Froze.

I 'think' Ed was on his trusty Madone with caliper brakes. I doubt that the brake type would have mattered though. He probably grabbed a fist full thinking the vehicle was not going to stop and would have locked up the tires regardless of the equipment.

Ed was EXTREMELY experienced and EXTREMELY cautious. He spent thousands of miles on his racing bikes and on tandems without going down nearly as often as the average racer or rider.

upload_2017-11-26_10-58-44.jpeg

Pic of Ed on his new Bianchi with Vision carbon wheels. His girl friend is behind him on a Celeste Bianchi. https://www.flickr.com/photos/7806831@N06/26474232144/in/album-72157668442803216/

I rarely go down myself, what's weird is in 10 years of racing I never had a crash in a race, I've only had 3 crashes, one on a training ride when my front tire blew going around a downhill mountain curve doing about 35, that one I just slid on my **** got some road burn; the other two both happened commuting to work, and the last of those two was really strange.

That last one a lady turned in front of me and went through her rear side window breaking it and then i was tossed onto the pavement dislocating my shoulder, and tearing up my suit I was wearing to go to job interview for a better position in a place I already worked at. I get taken to the hospital and released about 3 1/2 hours later, my wife takes me to work which by now is almost 5 pm and the manager of the place I was to have the interview with leaves then. So I walk in to his office with my arm in a sling, my clothes tore up, I ask him we need to do the interview and apologize for being late for obvious reasons. The manager starts yelling at me saying I'm 3 hours late for the interview, and he's going home, and that I have some nerve coming in looking like that and think I'm going to get hired. Then he says, if I got the nerve to come in like that then I would do great in this job and I was hired with no further interview necessary you start Monday!!! he shook my hand and went to the bar which he always did after 5, leaving me a bit stunned. I was 26 at the time,in college full time, and working full time so I was thankful I got the job, I was the best paid student at the college after getting that job; had a lot of job interviews over the years but none like that one.

I've had couple stall type of accidents due to not getting out the toe clips fast enough after I lost my balance doing a track stand, but I don't count those.

Speaking of weird job interviews, not sure why I got off on this but it is funny! I was interviewing for job after I moved to Indiana in 2003 from California and I was 53 at the time. So I talked to the manager and he likes me but he's 60ish and we get along great, so he sends me to the department manager, this guy was about 35 and right from the get go he doesn't like, probably because I had 20 years more experience then he has so he might be fearing for his job. He keeps saying that I won't be able to handle the hours hinting at my age as being an issue, really? I ask, I'm use to working 60 to 70 hours a week running my own business, how many do you work? he says 45 to 50, that's nothing I said to him, but he keeps hounding a way the age and hour thing and how I won't be able to handle it, and I'm staying politically correct as one is to do in an interview...but I finally got ******! So I said to the guy: "Tell you what, you get on your bicycle and I'll get on mine, lets go for a 50 mile race and lets find out who the real old man here is!" He was kind of taken back and mumbled: "well we don't have to do that", and I said: "darn right because you would lose badly." Needless to say I didn't get the job, but the direction the interview was going I wasn't going to get it anyways so I decided to snap his head off.

I'm a independent guy, I've run two businesses over the year, one I ran for 15 years in California and sold it before I moved to Indiana, and now I run another but it's different from the first one, I own rental properties that I bought from the money I had selling the first business, so it doesn't really take a whole lot of my time to run, and my wife does the accounting like she did in my first business, so I have another job where I work for the school district, so I have two months off in the summer, and 4 days off this Thanksgiving, 2 weeks coming at Christmas, and a week for what they now call spring break instead of Easter, and we get days off for unused snow days, and teachers health days, so we really only work 180 days a year. I'll get a retirement program too but I won't get much since I won't being doing it for 20 plus years, I might retire before 10 years are up and do something else, I can't stand the politics of public schools, it's pure nonsense, and being an independent person it just rubs me raw, I need the summers off just to take a deep breath from all that ****. I'm not the kind of person to retire, I do want to take up to a year off from work to tour the USA on bike, after that I'm not sure, I know I want to do something completely different then my past careers, I might start a property management business since I now know a lot about it and have a lot of contacts, plus I have a close friend who is a real estate agent and we've toyed around with doing that together in the future, or maybe just do short term missionary trips, or maybe both if I hire the right people who can take over when I'm gone. I'll have to wait and see. There has been discussions that my friend would run the business when I'm gone on those trips, then we would flip flop so he would go on those trips and I would run the business, this sort of appeals to me...with or without my friend, hopefully with.

I can't stand the politics of public schools, it's pure nonsense, and being an independent person it just rubs me raw,

Tell me about it! I was a 7-12 teacher for five years. Loved the job. Hated the libtarded politics and the NEA-OEA unions. I bailed out and went into engineering.

Even caliper brakes can be really scary ... I still remember opening the quick release switches when I was test riding that fackin tarmac... I tried braking with an expensive hydraulic system on a mtb once.. It doesn't "decelerate" it just just stops the fackin earth on the spot and transfers all the kinetic energy to... you! and then the suspension , the pavement etc...

Hows everything else CBob? :) Did you go for that mass shooting in the Amish place that you were planning? Those bullets are not gonna shoot them selves! :D

Volnix, Everything is going well here. I hope you're having a warm Winter in Greece!

That is sad.I am sure he have inspired a lot of people and helped them to their fullest potential. He will always be remembered especially by the persons whose hearts and lives he touch.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
I don't know Ed from Adam but what is a happier death than dying when doing what you want to do? It's like saying your coach died with his boots on. And although the accident is violent and tragic, that is easier to accept than if he had died of cancer or an ailment that made him bed-ridden for a time. Oh well, we have to reach the end of the road sometimes and I guess that accident is an opportune way of sparing him of the possible hardships ahead.

RIP Ed. What a loss for the biking community. It is always sad learning of stories like this and dread to think of my biking mentors eventually passing too. Have peace in the thought that he wouldn't change a moment doing what he loved and sharing his memories with you guys. My condolences.

Though, he is not someone that I know, but I have to say that he has achieved a lot that will make him to he remembered in decades to come. Death sometimes can be cruel, but I wish the family the very best and to take heart for Ed has contributed a lot to the society and I'm sure that he will be happy wherever he is at the moment.