My cycling coach died yesterday while riding

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by CAMPYBOB, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

One of the safest riders and racers I've known. Hellova Masters racer, great competitor. A nice guy that gave thousands of hours and dollars to developing racers and riders. Coach, group ride leader, road captain, club president and various other positions, tour group organizer...he did it all.

A man of great strength both physically and mentally. His first wife was a saint. She died of cancer many years back. His second wife I did not know, but she died also died. Ed was dating a gal from the local bike club and they seemed to be a perfect pair.

So many tragedies Ed had survived and he died doing what he loved...riding his racing bicycle.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20171112/bicyclist-75-is-killed-during-fall-off-vehicle

Tags:

2. zipp2001

zipp2001 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your loss.

3. CAMPYBOB

Thanks, Zipp. Ed was a great guy. I still have not heard all the details of the accident. Regardless of the circumstances cycling and racing in my area will miss him.

From the local club's website:
    [​IMG]

4. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

Wow, pretty sad! Almost sounds like a freak accident.

5. CAMPYBOB

Yeah, Mr. B. It was, indeed a very freak accident. A one in a million shot. I've known several guys that were killed in weird crashes. One guy smashed into a tree, possibly while having a heart attack. Dead right there. One guy vaulted a guard rail and left his front wheel and snapped off lower carbon fork on the road side of the guard rail. He and the rest of the bike went over the rail and he broke his neck. DRT. No one witnessed those deaths. There's more, but I also added Ed's no-one-else-involved to the list. There was at least one witness to Ed's crash and it sounds like a simple matter of locking up the brakes and going over the bars.

Mr. Beanz likes this.