My First Road Bike - Is the frame too BIG? (Pictures)

LukeRoadBiker

Aug 13, 2012
Hi.

I have just bought my first road bike and have ridden about 150 miles on it until now. I have started to wonder if I should have bought a smaller frame. To stop spending energy considering this, I'd like you to give me your honest opinion based on the pictures below - does it look like the frame is too big for me? I'm 6"2 and I believe the frame size is 59 cm (Merida XL).

Any other thoughts you have have on anything you see on the pictures (mostly if it has anything to do with road biking, of course) are welcome as well.

I'm sorry that the shirt I chose to wear was too small so that some of my lower back is without cover.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I think I should just say that I don't know how I should feel like sitting on the bike as it is my first one. I don't feel uncomfortable. I have done several 32 mile trips on it. So my concern is mostly based on that I think the bike looks really big - not that I'm uncomfortably on it.

Fitting by photo is always a dodgy proposal, but from the looks of things, you should definitely not have a smaller frame. I'd not be surprised if you fit on a larger frame or could use a longer stem. Your back is arched quite a bit, and you look cramped. I think you could do well to be stretched out a bit more, but I could be very wrong. I don't know anything about how you feel on the bike, your physical condition, any injuries or asymmetries, and etc. Others will likely chime in. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a fitting done at an LBS.

I agree with your first reply, if anything the frame looks too small for you, you might do well in a Chris Hoy sprint lookalike competition, but you certainly look cramped for road riding

I am a similar height to you and Ive just had an LBS fitting and need a 62cm frame, which makes sense as my current 58 is cramped.

I second the recommendation of a pro fitting and then get you bike adjusted properly

Lee

Hi alienator and keirik.

Thank you very much for your responses. You gave me exactly the answers, I needed. I know its probably not much one can tell from the pictures, but I was very much after your immediate thoughts.

I'm happy you think the frame size from the pictures looks more too small than too big. That should be possible to handle by doing some adjustments.

You both made a good point that I should see a professional bike fitter - I guess it is money well spent. Then I just hope that the needed adjustments can be made so that I don't need an all new bike /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thank you again and happy riding