Need help Adjusting V-Brakes.

glore2002

Apr 24, 2005
Hello again my friends around the world!
My Raleigh M20 has Raleigh V-Brakes and I would really appreciate if you could help me telling me how to adjust these brakes in order to set them properly without touching the rim. Do I have to adjust the spring by turning the screws?, Do I have to unscrew the handle?. Well, any easy steps to follow will be great.

Thanks again,
German.-

glore2002 said:
Hello again my friends around the world!
My Raleigh M20 has Raleigh V-Brakes and I would really appreciate if you could help me telling me how to adjust these brakes in order to set them properly without touching the rim. Do I have to adjust the spring by turning the screws?, Do I have to unscrew the handle?. Well, any easy steps to follow will be great.

Thanks again,
German.-
http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

You can also go on mtbr.com...there is a brake section and if you do a search for "adjusting" and/or "v brakes"...you will find discussions on this topic.

A few things though:

- is the rim true, if not they may hit the rim regardless of how much you adjust them
- first set the brakes up so they are a couple of mm from the rim and aligned properly, then use the tension screws to either loosen the side that isn't a problem, or tighten the side that is