New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014

Aushiker

Sep 26, 2007
Schwalbe is releasing an updated Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.
Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks. The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion. The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly.
Press release can be found at http://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereader/the-new-flat-less.html Andrew

I have the new Marathon Plus HS440 700x25c. Only have about 150 miles on them so far. Don't roll as fast as my old wore out Bontragar. But then those were nearly smooth new. While heavier none of this really slows me down, but I'm no racer. Sidewall is also reflective which is nice for the commute.

I haven't tried the Marathon Plus tyres but do have Schwalbe Marathon Mondial HS 428 47-622 on my touring bike, a Surly Long Haul Trucker. They have done well so far for me ... 2,474 km. Andrew

I read a lot of reviews about the older Marathon Plus tires and they have all been really high regards to these tires, and I'm sure the new ones are new and improved. But unless you're doing heavy loaded touring they're an overkill. I also find it hard to believe that a tire weighing 810 grams for a 700x32c is going to be a "fast" tire, any heavy tire will feel heavy, it may be faster than other brands weighing close to the same but no way is it going to feel fast like a racing tire. Also keep in mind these tires are made exclusively for E-Bikes where the weight isn't as critical since you have electric assist to climb hills with! and the weight of the tire is due to the anti flat belt which with E-bikes is important because they're a bit more a hassle to fix on the road.

By the way, I do lighter weight weekend tours for now, and I use the Panaracer Pasela TG tire which has held up extremely well both in no terms of very little wear, no cracks, flats, and they don't smell in bad weather, and their over 3 times lighter than the Marathon Plus.

Froze said:
.  Also keep in mind these tires are made exclusively for E-Bikes where the weight isn't as critical since you have electric assist to climb hills with! and the weight of the tire is due to the anti flat belt which with E-bikes is important because they're a bit more a hassle to fix on the road
They are not made exclusively for e-Bikes. It is only with the latest version of the tyre have they got e-bike certification in Europe. They have been and continue to be targeted at the touring market/commuter market hence I really don;t get the comparison with racing tyres ... Andrew

Agreed. They are heavy and don't roll as fast as my old tires. However they are better in the wet and I should get less flats. I bought them for commuting. Almost bought the continental gatorskins but I wanted a little more tread for wet weather.

Originally Posted by Indytona674

Agreed. They are heavy and don't roll as fast as my old tires. However they are better in the wet and I should get less flats. I bought them for commuting. Almost bought the continental gatorskins but I wanted a little more tread for wet weather.
Just think, by pushing those heavier tires over a long period of time you should become stronger, thus when you switch back to skinny lighter tires you'll think..."gee, these tires fly"!

I've been using the Schwalbe Puncture Resistant for a few years, not bad for the price, they are a li'l heavy, but that don't really matter on commuter bikes, do it now?