new pedals

feltrider199

May 13, 2006
im looking into getting a new pair of pedals. i race regularly and i was looking into some look keo carbon pedals but i read that some of them break off at the pedal spindle after some wear. another pedal i was looking at was the speedplay zeros. i hear the cleats need regular maintenance but i dont mind doing that. i see no weight advantage for the zeros because of the heavy cleats but i do like the cornering clearance. so what do you all think?

feltrider199 said:
im looking into getting a new pair of pedals. i race regularly and i was looking into some look keo carbon pedals but i read that some of them break off at the pedal spindle after some wear. another pedal i was looking at was the speedplay zeros. i hear the cleats need regular maintenance but i dont mind doing that. i see no weight advantage for the zeros because of the heavy cleats but i do like the cornering clearance. so what do you all think?
I have had my Keo carbon pedals for three years and over 8,000 miles. I have not had any problems. I know several people with Keo pedals as well without any problems. My wife and several people I know ride speedplays without any problems. So there you have it - no problems and it all comes down to personal preference.

feltrider199 said:
It gets down to personal preference. I switched from Looks to Speedplay Zeros about 3 years ago and have been happy with them. Adjustable free floating (no centering action) and easy two-sided entry (snap in straight down) are the main advantages. It took a few rides to get used to. Have heard the free-float is good for knees, but that it's just the opposite for some riders. At any rate, you can adjust the cleat stop screws on the zeros to get down to zero float if desired. I use them "wide open".

Only disadvantage I've found to the Speedplay system is that you're wearing the moveable spring clip on your cleat. This means that they must be mounted carefully so as not to bind the spring clip. And they must be kept clean, ie, no walking around in sand or dirt. I learned this once at a century rest stop, when it took me 5 minutes to clean out the cleats after just a few steps in mud and grit. Using the "Coffee Shop" covers solves the problem. The company recommends a shot of lube to the cleat c-spring every so often; I've found this isn't necessary if you just keep them clean.

Concerning weight, the cleats really aren't heavy, and last longer than the nylon Look cleats. Add up the weights; believe you'll find zeros + cleats are as light as anything out there. More important would be the weight of your shoes; those can vary by 200-300 grams.

well i dont think im gonna shoot for anything new right now so i think i just might go for the look keo carbons. i would just hate to be sprinting for the finish and one of the pedals snap. but if they have 8,000 miles that probably wouldnt be happening. i might try some speedplays one day but i would hate to have to be cleaning a cleat out in the middle of the ride. thanks for the help!

feltrider199 said:
well i dont think im gonna shoot for anything new right now so i think i just might go for the look keo carbons. i would just hate to be sprinting for the finish and one of the pedals snap. but if they have 8,000 miles that probably wouldnt be happening. i might try some speedplays one day but i would hate to have to be cleaning a cleat out in the middle of the ride. thanks for the help!
When I bought my bike three years ago I intially bought the speedplays. I had previously used the original Look pedal from the mid 1980's, on a frame from 1977 with campy 1972 parts. I did not like the feel of the float on the speedplays. That was just me. I gave the pedals to my wife and she loves them. I like the feel of Look's system and bought the Keo. The bottom line is that both pedals are great but have different feels and action. You need to try both and then settle on one. Forget any issues of weight, or the double sided entry and allow the mechanicals and feel of the pedal to dictate the selection.

vascdoc said:
When I bought my bike three years ago I intially bought the speedplays. I had previously used the original Look pedal from the mid 1980's, on a frame from 1977 with campy 1972 parts. I did not like the feel of the float on the speedplays. That was just me. I gave the pedals to my wife and she loves them. I like the feel of Look's system and bought the Keo. The bottom line is that both pedals are great but have different feels and action. You need to try both and then settle on one. Forget any issues of weight, or the double sided entry and allow the mechanicals and feel of the pedal to dictate the selection.
im already using an off brand look pedal right now and i like the design and everything, so i think im just gonna stick with the look pedal system for now. maybe my bike shop will let me borrow some speedplays sometime..