Newer Cannondale Six13 vs older Litespeed Tuscany

kobyson

Nov 6, 2007
I'm contemplating buying an '08 Six13 to replace my '03 Litespeed Tuscany, since I plan to race more (road and crit) next year and want more responsiveness from my bike. I don't, however, want to schedule a dentist appt after a century ride. I've read that the Six13 is a great race frame, but also provides a suprisingly smooth ride. I am hoping someone has sufficient ride time on both and can provide a comparison on these bikes. FYI for comparison purposes, I'm keeping my Campy Chorus/Eurus setup. Thanks.

kobyson said:
I'm contemplating buying an '08 Six13 to replace my '03 Litespeed Tuscany, since I plan to race more (road and crit) next year and want more responsiveness from my bike. I don't, however, want to schedule a dentist appt after a century ride. I've read that the Six13 is a great race frame, but also provides a suprisingly smooth ride. I am hoping someone has sufficient ride time on both and can provide a comparison on these bikes. FYI for comparison purposes, I'm keeping my Campy Chorus/Eurus setup. Thanks.
This year for crits I bought a CAAD8- Record-Eurus setup and I find it not only fast but comfortable. Aluminum frames get a bad rap because some of the earlier oversized models were bone-jarring. Haven't ridden the Tuscany so I can't compare, but I would seriously consider a test ride on a Six13. You might be surprised at how nice it feels.

+1 on the Six13.

IMHO, the Six13 is one of the best riding frames (regardless of frame material) on the market right now. Fast, responsive, lightweight, good geometry - none of that compact **** - and you will feel a real difference over the Tuscany. I have a Six13 and an old Raleigh branded titanium frame bike. Sure, they have different componentry but the Six13 is miles ahead in every criteria. But everyone is different so go for a test ride on the Six13 and see for yourself.

Tech72 said:
+1 on the Six13.

IMHO, the Six13 is one of the best riding frames (regardless of frame material) on the market right now. Fast, responsive, lightweight, good geometry - none of that compact **** - and you will feel a real difference over the Tuscany. I have a Six13 and an old Raleigh branded titanium frame bike. Sure, they have different componentry but the Six13 is miles ahead in every criteria. But everyone is different so go for a test ride on the Six13 and see for yourself.

"None of tha compact ****"?? What model of six13 do you have?? In theory it is a comapct frame as it has a 2-3cm slope on a 57cm model. I have the 2006 six13 pro. (see my profile spec). It has been defined as having "remote" handling whatever that means but friends of mine who ride 2-3000 euro carbon frames such as isaacs and addicts have commented on how stiff my frame is which is no surprise to anyone who has ridden a cannondae from the inception of the caad3 in around 1996 (??). Don't expect the six13 to be light though. I would extimate the frame (57cm) to be around 1450g and the forks (uncut) about 415g. Most 2008 carbon frames are now around the 1kg mark in a 58cm and their corresponding forks around 315g; so expect to save up to about 550g on if you buy a Scott CR1/addict/etc etc and of course to have a far more comfortable ride. Carbon frames take away road feel but aluminium of course lets you know what you are riding on.

nurul said:
Carbon frames take away road feel but aluminium of course lets you know what you are riding on.

What a completely useless and incorrect statement. How many times does it have be shown over and over again that generalizations about frame materials and their "ride qualities" only point out just how ignorant the person making the statements is? The statement is wrong in terms of physics, engineering, design, materials science, and the experience of loads of cyclists that think more clearly.

alienator said:
What a completely useless and incorrect statement. How many times does it have be shown over and over again that generalizations about frame materials and their "ride qualities" only point out just how ignorant the person making the statements is? The statement is wrong in terms of physics, engineering, design, materials science, and the experience of loads of cyclists that think more clearly.
Sure Alienator, and next thing you'll try to tell us handbuilt wheels are just as fast as the factory wheels that cost twice as much....
;)

PeterF said:
Sure Alienator, and next thing you'll try to tell us handbuilt wheels are just as fast as the factory wheels that cost twice as much....
;)

Well, we know that can't be true. Ksyriums are just plain, wicked fast. Haven't you ever seen 'em, how fast they look?

alienator said:
Well, we know that can't be true. Ksyriums are just plain, wicked fast. Haven't you ever seen 'em, how fast they look?
I bet they're even faster with the carbon hubs they added this year. I'm betting I could spin them on my work stand for 15-20 seconds without spinning the cranks.
I had a set of Ksyriums that had a nice self braking feature. When I stood up and climbed the brake pads would apply themselves without even having to squeeze the lever. :eek:

PeterF said:
I bet they're even faster with the carbon hubs they added this year. I'm betting I could spin them on my work stand for 15-20 seconds without spinning the cranks.
I had a set of Ksyriums that had a nice self braking feature. When I stood up and climbed the brake pads would apply themselves without even having to squeeze the lever. :eek:

I test rode a bike with Ksyrium ESs on it once. The wheels were so fast that the bike shop had to tie the bike down when it wasn't being ridden, 'cuz otherwise those uber fast Ksyriums would cause the bike to accelerate across the showroom floor all by itself. Honest.

They had a Cervelo Soloist SL in the shop that was the same way, except even more fast than the Ksyriums. They had the Soloist SL anchored with 3 inch chains to 4 eye bolts which were buried in concrete and reached 10 feet into the ground.

alienator said:

Which Ksyriums?? SL, SL3, elite?. equipe???
This general use of the word "kysrium" just shows how generic the person using the word is and how little he know about anything apart from flaming people on cyling forums. You give a bad name to Americans and I have to spend all day defending US citizens because of people like you. Sad really. I mean, you probably don't know what it's like to do a climb longer that lifting your ass onto the toilet seat. Oh, sorry, are you going to wax lyrical about being a phd student. We would respect you more for that.....

nurul said:
Which Ksyriums?? SL, SL3, elite?. equipe???
This general use of the word "kysrium" just shows how generic the person using the word is and how little he know about anything apart from flaming people on cyling forums. You give a bad name to Americans and I have to spend all day defending US citizens because of people like you. Sad really. I mean, you probably don't know what it's like to do a climb longer that lifting your ass onto the toilet seat. Oh, sorry, are you going to wax lyrical about being a phd student. We would respect you more for that.....
In my case, it was the Elite's...

kobyson said:
I can't make a statement on comparison, but I do love my 06 Six13 and IMO it is not bad at all for a century ride. I actually like the feel of it over my Felt.

Replace?
Can't you keep the Tuscany as a back up bike?
After my crash on my six13 in September I was able to keep riding because I have a decent backup bike while my LBS did the repairs.

Felt_Rider said:
I can't make a statement on comparison, but I do love my 06 Six13 and IMO it is not bad at all for a century ride. I actually like the feel of it over my Felt.

Replace?
Can't you keep the Tuscany as a back up bike?
After my crash on my six13 in September I was able to keep riding because I have a decent backup bike while my LBS did the repairs.
I have a steel frame (Pinarello Opera) that's been gathering dust since I picked up the CAAD8. My friends keep telling me that I'll want to use the Opera for a 132 mile ride we're doing next spring. Honestly, I'm planning on using the CAAD8 for that too. Good fit and geometry are all that really matters when it comes to comfort. IMHO

PeterF said:
I have a steel frame (Pinarello Opera) that's been gathering dust since I picked up the CAAD8. My friends keep telling me that I'll want to use the Opera for a 132 mile ride we're doing next spring. Honestly, I'm planning on using the CAAD8 for that too. Good fit and geometry are all that really matters when it comes to comfort. IMHO
I could easily go with a CAAD8 or 9 if I were considering another bike right now because I have been satisfied with my frame. I can say this honestly that a friend of mine that typically rides a Litespeed Ghisallo has an older CAAD8 as a back up bike and the day I saw him riding we were both climbing he looks over at me and said he could feel a big difference in the CAAD8 and that it was not flexing like his Litespeed. Again I have never ridden a Ti bike so I cannot comment on his statement.

I say that without any bias toward C-dale. I am one that believes in finding the bike that suits the individual and I believe more in the power of the human machine than I do a particular bike.

alienator said:
My understanding that if it's carbon then you all vibrations get absorbed. That's why I don't buy carbon bottle cages - they would cause my HEED mix to seperate from the water because it would sit there completely undisturbed. So I have aluminum cages. They transmit road buzz so well that my beverage mix stays nice and homgeneous through the whole century.

nurul said:
This general use of the word "kysrium" just shows how generic the person using the word is and how little he know about anything apart from flaming people on cyling forums.
I'll have one generic Alienator with that....

saintsfan342000 said:
My understanding that if it's carbon then you all vibrations get absorbed. That's why I don't buy carbon bottle cages - they would cause my HEED mix to seperate from the water because it would sit there completely undisturbed. So I have aluminum cages. They transmit road buzz so well that my beverage mix stays nice and homgeneous through the whole century.

Yes, this is exactly true. In fact, whenever I'm going to be staying in a hotel, I take a CF camping mattress with me to put on the bed just in case I get a vibrating bed that is broken and won't stop vibrating.

Now you know why they don't make CF vibrators: the idea is a physical impossibility.

kobyson said:

What colour are you gettign the 08 six13 in? Black is pretty safe but on the continent the cool look is white. Hell it might even look close to the ridiculously high priced but cool Super Six, which comes in white with red decals. Cool frame, but the price is skyward!!! They want 3100 euros for frame only here so it means buying a complete bike and selling the bits elsewhere!!!

nurul said:
. Hell it might even look close to the ridiculously high priced but cool Super Six, which comes in white with red decals. Cool frame, but the price is skyward!!! They want 3100 euros for frame only here so it means buying a complete bike and selling the bits elsewhere!!!
C'dale wants to compete directly with Colnago, Look, Cervelo, and other high-end bikes. Pricing the frame in that range is the only logical thing to do.

Also, I can't see why a C'dale CANNOT cost that much, I mean...it's not like Colnagos are made using Fausto Coppis sweat mixed with stardust. They are high-end bikes, made with expensive labor hourly rates and they are still paying for R&D. That's it.

nurul said:
What colour are you gettign the 08 six13 in? Black is pretty safe but on the continent the cool look is white. Hell it might even look close to the ridiculously high priced but cool Super Six, which comes in white with red decals. Cool frame, but the price is skyward!!! They want 3100 euros for frame only here so it means buying a complete bike and selling the bits elsewhere!!!
They do offer the Six13 in white w/ red decals, but it's Tiagra level.
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8RCT6D.html

The fact that they offer a Tiagra level Six13 kind of makes me shake my head b/c it almost makes a mockery of a great framset, but on the other hand, why shouldn't they? If they wanna move these frames, they gotta make them available at a wide range of prices.