Nimbus 36" with V brake

innes

Guest
I fitted a set of V brakes to my new Nimbus 36" today.

I also fitted a Kris Holm Fusion seat, the Kris Holm rail adaptor, and
a Kris Holm seat post.

I used the V brake adaptors from Unicycle.com to fit the brakes. It was
quite tricky to get them sorted out, I may still have some adjustments
to make to the pads. I had to file the slot on the brakes lower to get
the block lower than the tyre, but I think I have it fairly well sorted
out now.

Innes

[image: http://i19.tinypic.com/4kcrzax.jpg]

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com

nice

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
> A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
> just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage :)

http://www.usenet.com

Now why did you swap out the udc gel seat for the big fusion saddle? I
find the gel seat significantly more comfortable.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - *The First
Serious Unicycle Computer Game* - -Simple multiplayer muni concept demo
soon.-*
http://www.usenet.com

again... I'm jealous...

I think I'll have my local bike shop put on my brakes... I'm just a
lazy bum i guess...

But I'd love to hear how the vbrakes work out for ya. :)

--
oldgeezers940

:cool: We are the redeemed! We are the ones who are FREE! And we belong
to Jesus! We are now alive! And in this world we will shine! And we
belong to Jesus!:cool:

'Myspace' (myspace.com/isayhey);)
SAY WHAA?!?!
http://www.usenet.com

Brian O. wrote:
> Now why did you swap out the udc gel seat for the big fusion saddle? I
> find the gel seat significantly more comfortable.

I had a spare Fusion saddle, and first impressions of the Gel saddle
were not as good as the Fusion. I still have the option of putting back
on the Gel though.

Innes

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com

innes wrote:
> I had a spare Fusion saddle, and first impressions of the Gel saddle
> were not as good as the Fusion. I still have the option of putting back
> on the Gel though.
>
> Innes

I've tried the gel, regualar fusion and airseat; none compare to the KH
fusion freeride! For me it is the most comfortable saddle currently
available. I use it on both my MUni and 36er. :)

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=986
(not sure why they only list yellow & orange and not black or blue)

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com

MuniAddict wrote:
> I've tried the gel, regualar fusion and airseat; none compare to the KH
> fusion freeride! For me it is the most comfortable saddle currently
> available. I use it on both my MUni and 36er. :)
>
> http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=986
> (not sure why they only list yellow & orange and not black or blue)

I agree. I find it very difficult to uni with any other seat now.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com

I think the Freeride is comfortable because it's not as curved as the
other saddles.

When you are spending many hours in the saddle, there is no reason to
ride a curved saddle at all. You wouldn't put up with a bicycle seat
that curves upwards to squish your squishy bits any more that you
should on a unicycle.

I think the highly curved nature of unicycle seats is a leftover from
the days when people rode without handles, which might be Ok if you're
using your crotch to control the unicycle (eg in freestyle), but not if
you're riding hundreds of Km's

I've been cutting mine flat for years and it seem to work.

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!!
www.uninam.net

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com

I've wanted to put brakes on my Coker ever sense I led a fun ride at
NAUCC06 in Memphis. On the looong downhills I was waddling like a duck
trying to keep my speed low while those with brakes smoothly wizzed
past me. I even did a superman sliding UPD when it got away from me.

Does the inside of your knee ever hit that brake mechanism. I've got
the standard Coker frame, with one tube on ea side going from the crown
to the hub. Every now and then my knee will knock into it. I'm afraid
adding more metal down there would tear me up.

It seems to me that putting the brake mounts on that posterior part of
the frame of the Nimbus would make some sense. Then all the brake parts
would be well behind the circuit of my knees.

--
Memphis Mud
http://www.usenet.com

So far, the brakes seem well out of the way.

Innes

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com

I just need something cleared up, is the V-brake used for this just like
a standard bicycle brake with it's cable shortened? Or is there more to
it than that?
I'm kinda hoping I can use a bicycle brake I already have when I get my
36er... Or am I going to have to upgrade even from that?

--
CoreTechs

><> UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST<><

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

Dangit! Looks I lost "The Game".
http://www.usenet.com

Bump. I didn't want to make a whole thread to ask the question, so if
anyone answers soon, that would be good.
Thanks. :D

--
CoreTechs

http://www.usenet.com

CoreTechs wrote:
> I just need something cleared up, is the V-brake used for this just like
> a standard bicycle brake with it's cable shortened? Or is there more to
> it than that?
> I'm kinda hoping I can use a bicycle brake I already have when I get my
> 36er... Or am I going to have to upgrade even from that?

it's a normal bike v-brake, albeit one that has long arms to clear over
a large tyre. The one you have may or may not fit over a 36 tyre,
you'll have to try it and see, unless you can talk numbers with the
creator of this thread and see if yours are as long as his.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

MuniAddict wrote:
> http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=986
> (not sure why they only list yellow & orange and not black or blue)

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=952
other colors (the orange and yellow colors were introduced later, that
is why they have their own page)

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com

It was a standard set of Avid V brakes.

I didn't get on very well with them though. It was very hard to set up,
the rim caused them to stick on, and I ended up having a heavy UPD
because of it.

In the end, I traded the 36" for a KH 29 which I love.

The V brakes now are on the KH 29, and work very well.

I would ask for some help with brakes on a 36" before you fit them, I
didn't get on with the 36", but there a lot of people who do.

Innes

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com

I'm pretty sure the arms on most will reach, I got some really really
basic brakes (the cheapest at my bike shop) and they fit wonderfully.
They are actualy a breeze to set up, the only problem that I have is
calibrating them perfectly, but I'm sure I will figure that out soon.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com

Great to hear. I don't want to spend too much more on my uni than I have
to. I'd like hydraulic brakes, but that's a luxury I can't really
afford.
I guess the brake mounts on the uni are the same as a bicycle then,
correct?

--
CoreTechs

Mikefule wrote:
> As an alternative hypothesis of equal validity, God did not design us to
> ride unicycles.

http://www.usenet.com

If you want to use V brakes, you will need to use V Brake adaptors from
UDC.

These fit onto the Magura mounts allowing you to run V brakes instead.

Innes

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com