Numbness

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeffrey Meyer, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Hi I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but am
    worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?
    --
    Jeffrey

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Jeffrey Meyer <merlot@icon.co.za> wrote:

    > I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?

    This is often more of a problem on a stationary bike than on the road because you tend to stay
    seated and in the same position for a longer time.

    If the stationary bike allows you to stand occasionally, that might help. The problem may also be
    related to the seat tilt or height (or the seat itself), or some other fit issue. I would not
    ignore this.

    Art Harris

  3. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "Jeffrey Meyer" <merlot@icon.co.za> wrote in message news:3e64feb0$0$230@hades.is.co.za...
    > Hi I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?
    > --
    Don't ignore it. Ride on the road (esp. rolling hills) where you'll get some variety. Mark Lee

  4. Answer A: If you were riding hard enough to get a good workout, you wouldn't even notice minor
    problems like this.

    Answer B: Keep it up and the numbness will become much worse. But then, it will fall off and won't
    bother you any more.

    Steve McDonald

  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Jeffrey Meyer" <merlot@icon.co.za> wrote in news:3e64feb0$0$230 @hades.is.co.za:
    > I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?

    Ask you girlfriend if you should ignore it.

    Seriously, the is often caused by poor saddle position. If your seat is too high or too far foward,
    you may be putting too much pressure on the front of your seat. Moving the saddle down and back will
    put more pressure on your sit bones, which is where the padding in your shorts is aimed.

    Also try moving around when riding. Lower your cadence and stand up periodically. Riders often do
    this when climbing hills on a real bike, but you can also do it on a stationary bike. Getting off
    the saddle allows blood to circulate down there; the lack of circulation causes numbness.

    Ken

  6. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Jeffrey Meyer wrote:

    > Hi I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?
    > --
    > Jeffrey

    You've received nice answers so far, but I am certain the solution is in the fit. Pay close
    attention to the seat. For starters make it dead level and not too high. Fore and aft position
    counts too. Bin der dundat. It is all in the seating. Ride a real bike on the real ground and take
    all the time you need to tweak the seat. You are able to make yourself comfortable and not numb.
    Best regards, Bernie

  7. If your saddle looks anything like the ones we have on our stationary bikes in the gym there's not
    much you can do. Ours are big, wide and soft. Feels really nice to sit down on them until you start
    pedaling. Ie they are not meant to be used for more than 10-30 minutes.

    Get hold of a statinary bike with a decent saddle on it instead. Most of the spinning bikes seem to
    be pretty much OK.

    --
    Perre

    Replace the DOTs to reply "Jeffrey Meyer" <merlot@icon.co.za> wrote in message
    > Hi I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?
    > --
    > Jeffrey

  8. >Don't ignore it. Ride on the road (esp. rolling hills) where you'll get some variety. Mark Lee

    Yup - agree :) Cycling out in the open air is much more interesting & fun than some stationary
    thing in a gym. Besides which, for your annual gym fee you'll probably get yourself a pretty good
    real bike :)

    Numbness in the male nether regions can lead to complications - penile erectile dysfunction. Simple
    solution - get a bike that fits with a saddle that fits and wear padded cycling shorts - then you'll
    be problem free as you won't get numbn*ts :)

    Cheers, helen s (being a wimp today as it's really windy out there, so I'm not out on my bike)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  9. Art

    Art Guest

    "Jeffrey Meyer" <merlot@icon.co.za> wrote in message news:<3e64feb0$0$230@hades.is.co.za>...
    > Hi I have a question regarding use of the stationary bicycle at my gym. After about 20 min my, um,
    > dickie becomes rather numb. I'm a guy who enjoys this form of gym exercise for about 40 min, but
    > am worried about this numbness. Is it serious? Should I simply ignore it and carry on?

    If your gym has recumbent bikes use one. If not, start using the treadmill, don't ignore
    the problem.

    Art

  10. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <wafflycathcs@aol.comtapeworm> wrote in message

    > Numbness in the male nether regions can lead to complications - penile
    erectile
    > dysfunction. Simple solution - get a bike that fits with a saddle that fits
    and
    > wear padded cycling shorts - then you'll be problem free as you won't get numbn*ts :)

    This has been claimed, but never established. The lone medical authority (Dr Irwin Goldstein) making
    these claims has not been supported by the medical community at large. See:
    http://www.rightofway.org/research/wilting.html for some background. There are lots of articles
    about this on the web, google for them if interested.

    Making unsubstantiated claims only adds to the hype and hysteria.

Share This Page