Nutritional and supplemental regimen - critiques please

jamesbeebop wrote:
> Olafur,
>
> Thanks for the great info!
>
> What I still find to be quite confusing ... is how to find the "best"
> information about supplementation and longevity. I'm not a
> professional scientist, and reading raw study data leaves me feeling
> overwhelmed. How do you know it's a 'good' study?

You mean how do you know it's a positive study? If that is what you
mean that is a thing which requires some basic knowledge about the
human body as well as understanding of scientific abstracts. That is
not something you just learn overnight. However you do not have to be
a scientist or highly educated to learn this (I am not), all you need
is sound thinking, interest in the subject and the willingness to
learn.

> I started down this path with The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer
> ... then I read Fantastic Voyage by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman. I
> now *love* reading Kurzweil, and am currently working on The
> Singularity is Near. I've also become a member of LEF and get their
> magazine.

I got into life-extension when I read the book "Stop Aging Now by Jean
Carper". That is the only book I've read that is related to
life-extension (I rarely read books), all my research since then has
been solely done on the internet.

> How do I know these are good sources of information though ... how do I
> modify my supplement regimen to best suite my specific needs. Perhaps
> in time, I'll feel more comfortable in this area, but right now, as I
> said, it leaves me feeling overwhelmed.

I understand that, researching life-extension is not easy particularly
to start with but if you keep researching it you will eventually start
to understand it better. In the mean time just keep on reading and
don't hesitate to ask questions.

> In answer to questions you posed ... it's the racemic form of ALA, and
> I'd been considering switching to the 'R' version after I ran out of
> what I have now.

That's a great idea, I highly recommend that you switch to the R-form.
The racemic form is a 50/50 mixture of the S- and R- enantiomers. The
R- enantiomer is the same form of ALA as is endogenously produced in
the body and is responsible for most of the benefits of ALA. The S-
enantiomer on the other hand is not normally found in the body and it
has been shown to have some negative effects.

> I started 'into' supplements around the beginning of this year ...
> February, some time. But, I've been learning as I go ... and what I
> take today isn't even close to what I was taking then. I've been
> taking the LEF mix and booster for around 3 months ... and also
> exercising more and more regularly in that same time frame. This has
> all been *after* my most recent blood tests ... so, I do hope to see
> some improvement in those results.

You will most definitely see some improvement in the parameters from
the changes you've made. Please post your test results when you take
another blood test, it will be interesting to see what has changed.

> I was frustrated with the initial
> test results because I have always had a reasonably low body weight and
> (presumably) body fat percentage. I'm 5'8" and weigh around 140, or a
> little less. Not on lot of room for fat. :)

You have a good BMI for life-extension and not much room for weight
loss. And while you may not know your bodyfat percentage if you have
visible abs that's a sign your bodyfat is probably close to being
optimal for life-extension. Given these stats and your age I would
expect you to have better glucose tolerance and higher HDL cholesterol
if you eat healthy and are physically active but this of course is very
individual and depends on a lot of factors. F.ex. it seems that some
people that have low HDL levels do not experience a rise in HDL levels
from exercising which otherwise is one of the most effective ways to
increase HDL levels (PMID: 9568755). This last is not as true for
women as it is for males (PMID: 7055869, PMID: 229871).

If I supplement with chromium to control blood sugar levels ... does
this work to reduce insulin resistance such that at some future point
in time, given a healthy diet and exercise regimen, I would be able to
reduce or eliminate chromium supplementation altogether? Same type of
question for supplementing to reduce homocysteine. Do I eventually
arrive at a point where things are 'equalized' again ... or, is the
supplementation a lifelong prospect. Even perhaps, an *increasing*
amount of these nutrients as I age?

Thanks!

James

jamesbeebop wrote:
> If I supplement with chromium to control blood sugar levels ... does
> this work to reduce insulin resistance such that at some future point
> in time, given a healthy diet and exercise regimen, I would be able to
> reduce or eliminate chromium supplementation altogether? Same type of
> question for supplementing to reduce homocysteine. Do I eventually
> arrive at a point where things are 'equalized' again ... or, is the
> supplementation a lifelong prospect. Even perhaps, an *increasing*
> amount of these nutrients as I age?

No. Generally supplementing is not a cure, in the sense of a
restoration of the entire phenotype to a younger state.
At the current time very little real *reversal* of aging is possible.
Even if certain biological parameters are put back to younger levels,
they then begin to change once more in the direction of aging, at best,
very slowly from the new level and even then only if one persists with
the therapy which set them back to the younger levels.

At the present time you should consider supplementation to be a
lifelong prospect.Some therapies including some supplements should
probably be increased with age, but that would not apply to many, since
many of them will become negative if increased too much.

--Paul Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Rational freedom by self-sovereignty & social contracting

When you stop taking them,you generally lose their effects (depending on what you are taking, though, some effects are for good). I needed to boost my endurance and how long I lasted riding, so I started taking actigin for endurance and beast creature for creatine. I also take a multivitamin. I tried fish oil, but I didn't find it made a difference.