OK, gotta ask this one.

On 10 Jun 2004 14:37:43 -0700, [email protected] (blah) mumbled
incoherently:

>[email protected] (**** Durbin) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>Now, I don't know how much protection the helmet provided
>> or if my injury would have been worse without the helmet,
>> but I am glad I had it on.
>>
>> **** Durbin Tallahassee
>
>Over here in Australia it's illegal not to wear
>helmets. Civil liberty issues aside, I've never really
>understood why you wouldn't. I've devised a test for
>seeing if they work:
>
>Have a friend (or enemy, it doesn't matter) hit you, with a
>bat, on the head with moderate to hard force. Try it twice;
>once with the helmet then once without. It's important not
>to do it in reverse order. When you wake after the second
>hit, you can compare the relative value of wearing the
>helmet as opposed to not.
>
>Cheers
>
>PS. I'm aware that a cycling accident is a lot more
> complicated than this, but I'd rather hit the road (pun
> not intended) with it on. Oh yeah, feel free to use
> this test to demonstrate to the next pickup driving
> nutbags you see...

Uh oh. My helmet-thread alarm needle just went off
the paper. <Ducking>

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department®
___________________________________
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"It should be the policy of the United States to support ef-
forts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from
power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic
government to replace that regime,"
-- 1998 Iraq Liberation Act (Public Law 105-338)
signed by Bill Clinton

When ye encounter the infidels, strike off their heads till
ye have made a great slaughter among them, and of the rest,
make fast the fetters.
http://www.truthnet.org/islam/Quran/Rodwell/47/

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
R: Telling your parents you’re gay.

spammers can send mail to [email protected]

No, but many times when you crash, you don't have the time
or the wherewithall to get your hands up to protect your
head (and most people know know how to roll into a fall....)

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > - Now, without moving your feet, start to lean/tilt
> > forward. You'll
> likely
> > get off balance soon, but keep your hands at your sides
> > and resist the temptation to stop tilting forward or to
> > put your hands out to stop your fall.
>
> You ride with your hands locked at your side, unmoving?
>
> Pete

The point is, it illustrates to anyone, how wearing a bike
helmet is needed. I can only hope the response posts to mine
were being just friendly-sarcastic, because if they were
real, I'd say that more people should ride without helmets
and just let Darwin do his work ;-)

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Dave wrote:
>
> > So the test I ask people to take is this....
> >
> > - Put your feet together, stand straight up, facing
> > forward, hands at
your
> > sides....
> >
> > - Close your eyes.
> >
> > - Put your head down, chin to your chest.
> >
> > - Now, without moving your feet, start to lean/tilt
> > forward. You'll
likely
> > get off balance soon, but keep your hands at your sides
> > and resist the temptation to stop tilting forward or to
> > put your hands out to stop your fall.
> >
> > - Keep leaning till your head impacts the cement.
> >
> > - That's from standing still. Now imagine being on a
> > bike, a foot or
so
> > higher off the ground, with any type of forward momentum
> > on top of that.
> >
> > No one I know has ever actually done this till they
> > fell, but it drives
the

Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

> No, but many times when you crash, you don't have the
> time or the wherewithall to get your hands up to protect
> your head

You will do this first of everything else, to seek how to
make good use of hands and arms, so you have enough time,
except (1) blind flight, since the mind is temporarily off,
watching the wrong movie, except (2), mainly, when losing
time because of hesitating too long to react seriously.

And, as it looks like, except (3) for the new variation of
kharma, representing the 'protected ones', which have the
delicious enlightenment in the right moment: oh! I am
protected!, thus a luxury of spending a very loooong
superfluos thought, so just to prevent, what could have been
done right elsewise. In short: seriously handicapped in
perception.

Should this be one of those crowns of upmost level of
insight in civilisation, when mainly the youth is trained
now, to refrain from keeping everyones' body-moves inline
with physical reality? Because, oh! everyone is protected!?
With the strong believe, after 'protection' could be found
as a label in a warehouse, there cannot be anything better?

Now, who dares to bring-up real statistics, will count hurt
necks and broken teeth in the neighbourhood of schools?
There should already be figures from observations about
difficulties of motoric co-ordination (now here we have as
well an artificially imposed handicap to learn how to react
appropriately). Who will count real use, of those and of
those, on the street and setting the relation right, of how
many, of those and of those, have been found being hurt?
Taking into account such imposed handicaps, like broken
capabilities for motoric co-ordination?

I am afraid, yes, there is protection envolved: for the
warehouse fetish. All those figures about protection,
propagated in favour of firm believe, quite for sure would
look different elsewise.

[and why to append that redundancy without thought:]
> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote
[..?]

Dave wrote:

> The point is, it illustrates to anyone, how wearing a bike
> helmet is needed.

But does it illustrate at all, how the devices available for
sale function as a bike helmet? If they did anything, we'd
be seeing a decrease in brain injury rates as helmet use
went up. The human head is already designed to protect the
brain when you fall down, and a foam hat doesn't seem to add
much protection.

Mitch.

Dave wrote:

> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>You ride with your hands locked at your side, unmoving?
>
> No, but many times when you crash, you don't have the time
> or the wherewithall to get your hands up to protect your
> head (and most people know know how to roll into a
> fall....)

Speaking of which, I *do* wear a helmet, and I've taken
plenty of falls, but the helmet's never come in handy.
During a fall, that is. It's been useful to ward off stray
branches while I'm still on my bike, but at spill time, I
either hit the ground ungracefully with hands and knees, or
I do spectacular full somersaults onto my back. If I
*really* cared for my bodily integrity, I'd wear knee pads,
elbow pads, and a flak vest. B{D>

--
-------- Scott Eiler B{D> --------
http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

"It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from
Greenwich Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak." -- Lin
Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
with Suzanne Vega.

Only thing I can say is from personal experience, I've
witnessed nasty crashes at speed (30+) as well as touring
paces where the helmet has come into play in preventing
severe injury. A member of my team recently was doing TT
training, and a SUV pulled into the bike lane and stopped
abruptly in front of him. He was going about 32mph, and went
right into the back, and had he not been wearing a helmet,
we'd have gone to his funeral. And being a racer, I've seen
plenty of crashes at high (and low) speeds, where the
helment took a huge part of the impact and I feel
comfortable in saying, saved many a cracked skull. It's not
a perfect shield of course, but it helps....

Please, no comments about the incident, if you were not
there, you can't make judgements, and in fact, we don't even
know all of it because the police are still involved as are
the insurance companies, so the family is not allowed to
talk about it much. Suffice to say, wear the helmet. Let's
face it, better safe than sorry, and who cares what anyone
else thinks?

Dave

news:[email protected]...

Scott Eiler <[email protected]> writes:

> Dave wrote:
>
> > "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>You ride with your hands locked at your side, unmoving?
> >
> > No, but many times when you crash, you don't have the
> > time or the wherewithall to get your hands up to protect
> > your head (and most people know know how to roll into a
> > fall....)
>
> Speaking of which, I *do* wear a helmet, and I've taken
> plenty of falls, but the helmet's never come in handy.
> During a fall, that is.

I know someone who has a small bald patch on the top of
his head as the result of a fall without a helmet. He had
a bad headache and saw double for some time (a few hours
to a day or so - I forget the details). In his case the
crash was completely unexpected. He was riding at a
moderate speed on a college campus. I forget if he
collided with another bike or not.

BTW, probably most people don't know how to roll into a
fall, even if racers typically do.

Bill

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

Dave wrote:

> being a racer, I've seen plenty of crashes at high (and
> low) speeds, where the helment took a huge part of the
> impact and I feel comfortable in saying, saved many a
> cracked skull.

How in the world do you know that? Have you ever seen a
fractured skull from a bike crash? The only one I have
experience with was on an 80 year old woman, who was wearing
a Bell Tourlight (hard shell, no longer available) when her
tandem tipped over sideways after a dog took out the front
wheel. I don't blame the helmet, I suspect her skull
shattered because it was old and thin. I'd imagine the docs
were glad the helmet kept the dirt and gravel out of her
head. I never saw her or her husband at club rides after
that, I think they quit riding.

I had a good hard crash in the 1970s when virtually nobody
wore helmets, tore some muscle in my neck, blood everywhere
from a hole in my scalp, but no concussion or other brain
injury. If I had destroyed a helmet in that crash, I'm sure
you'd be claiming the helmet saved me from certain brain
injury or death.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:54:40 -0400, "Dave" <[email protected]>
mumbled incoherently:

>Only thing I can say is from personal experience, I've
>witnessed nasty crashes at speed (30+) as well as touring
>paces where the helmet has come into play in preventing
>severe injury. A member of my team recently was doing TT
>training, and a SUV pulled into the bike lane and stopped
>abruptly in front of him. He was going about 32mph, and
>went right into the back, and had he not been wearing a
>helmet, we'd have gone to his funeral. And being a racer,
>I've seen plenty of crashes at high (and low) speeds, where
>the helment took a huge part of the impact and I feel
>comfortable in saying, saved many a cracked skull. It's not
>a perfect shield of course, but it helps....
>
>Please, no comments about the incident, if you were not
>there, you can't make judgements, and in fact, we don't
>even know all of it because the police are still involved
>as are the insurance companies, so the family is not
>allowed to talk about it much. Suffice to say, wear the
>helmet. Let's face it, better safe than sorry, and who
>cares what anyone else thinks?
>
>Dave

Dave, some advice: I have a good friend who wiped
out on his bike, (wheel shimmy) slid across six
lanes of traffic, and hit his head on the far curb.
He told me about it, showing me his helmet which had
split in half. He complained about the scrapes he