Old road bikes (1960s Mens English Raleigh Sport Cruiser)

sepandee

Jun 9, 2014
I'm in search of a bike that will basically get me from point A to B. I live in Toronto, which is a hotspot for stealing bikes. I personally know more than 5 people who have had their $1000+ bikes stolen. So yeah, nothing flashy.

I'll need the bike for two things: for very short distances (under 1.5km: going to the grocery store, gym, etc.) almost on a daily basis and also, once or twice a week, for commuting to downtown. Toronto is a bit hilly when you travel north from downtown, and I live 7km (roughly 5 miles) North of downtown, so coming back home on a cruiser, even though I love the bikes, is not really ideal. Hybrid is probably the best way to go, but a road bike is fine as well.

If I don't find a used road bike for a cheap price I'll go with the Giant Escape which roughly sells for $350. I road it a few days ago and it was very lightweight and smooth.

FOr now, the search continues, and I've come across this bike today:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-bike/city-of-toronto/vintage-1960s-mens-english-raleigh-sport-cruiser-3-speed-bike/601136271?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Mind you, second-hand bikes in Toronto are relatively expensive, and this one's being sold for a really good price. Not sure what condition the bike is in but do you think it's worth a check?

FWIW. 3-speed bikes have limitations, but for the asking price, 'I' would buy it ...

Originally Posted by alfeng
FWIW. 3-speed bikes have limitations, but for the asking price, 'I' would buy it ...
I would, too. Alf, why the scare-quotes around "I"?

No, it's not that special. I gets a few points for not being a Dunelt or a Triumph, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I would, too. Alf, why the scare-quotes around "I"?

No, it's not that special. I gets a few points for not being a Dunelt or a Triumph, but that's about it.
Scare-quotes!?!

Well, I learned about something new!

I guess that I am just too old to know THAT was a faux-pas!!

Anyway, I'm OKAY with almost ANY old steel bicycle frame ...

• THAT is obviously not true for most riders, particular "new" riders who gravitate toward bikes with non-ferrous frames ...
  • also, I have the advantage of not being as tall as many others for whom the frame might be too small

So, 'I' would buy the bike ...

BTW. After re-lubing whatever needed servicing AND de-glazing the contact surface of the brake pads, I would ride the bike until I had the time-and-inclination to rebuild the wheelset with alloy rims -- either 700c rims or 26" MTB (559) rims.

Hmmm ...

If I were adventurous, I might opt for 650b rims/tires.

Other steel components which are obvious (?) candidates for replacement which I might replace include the brake calipers & the cottered crank ...

Et cetera.