OT: mp3 players

Mr_Kingkillaha

New Member
Jul 2, 2004
Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
held 1.5 gig.
Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are way too big)

Mr_Kingkillaha wrote:
> Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
> I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
> My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
> held 1.5 gig.
> Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods
> are way too big)

LOL, sure way to get flamed, admit you ride with headphones...(umless you
are at the gym)

la di dah....

ipods are not too big. I get six hours of play; attach to hip.

just run the cable under your shirt so it won't get snagged when you crash;
great for long boring base building rides.

ipod also makes the mini and the new shuffle, which are incredibly small.

purists will claim they won't ride with tunes; but sometimes it's just plain
necessary. Like this morning. About 12 degrees in western maryland and I
will lose what little sanity I have left if not for some music. Off to
freeze my yickyacks...over and out.

On 1/29/05 12:10 AM, in article
[email protected], "Mr_Kingkillaha"

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:10:56 +1100, Mr_Kingkillaha wrote:

> Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
> I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
> My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
> held 1.5 gig.
> Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are
> way too big)

I run / ride with an MP3 player. I bought Creative MuVo a while back, so
the capacity is a little low by today's standards (128MB), but I'm
generally happy with it. They now do 1GB and 1.5GB devices on flash
media (avoiding HDD), which I'd consider if you're doing sport.
http://www.nomadworld.com

After Santa brought iPods to my kids I rescued an
iRiver 300 series 128mg flash player from the trash.
It's the size of my thumb, weighs about 2 oz, and holds
about 3 CD's worth. I've only used it on the gym bikes so far
but I want to try on the road. ( not the trails, they have their own music)
It's outfitted with cast off buds and a neck strap, also a cast-off from
the high school, and I love it so far. The kid says the unit was less than
a hundred when he bought it. (complete with book, cd, and ear buds,
none of which survived)

If I find another one discarded I'll grab it. iRiver has total online
support,
I downloaded the software my kid had lost, updated the unit's codec,
and learned how to use it. Swapping tunes (or books on CD) with my
computer is easy.

This is a dinosaur's opinion, one with a 7 year old dell pentium 2,
and three teens who will attest to my lack of cool so YMMV.

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:10:56 +1100, Mr_Kingkillaha wrote:
>

> > Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
> > I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
> > My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
> > held 1.5 gig.
> > Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are
> > way too big)

> I run / ride with an MP3 player. I bought Creative MuVo a while back, so
> the capacity is a little low by today's standards (128MB), but I'm
> generally happy with it. They now do 1GB and 1.5GB devices on flash
> media (avoiding HDD), which I'd consider if you're doing sport.
> http://www.nomadworld.com

I'm using a creative Muvo N200 1Gb. Very small device with flash memory.
Great battery life-time and no HD ;-)
Never skips ;-)

"Mr_Kingkillaha" <[email protected]>
schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

Mr_Kingkillaha wrote:

> Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
> I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
> My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
> held 1.5 gig.
> Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are
> way too big)

I'm in the market for one as well. I would like to have the most
storage possible for a nicely compact design. I think iPods are too big
for riding as well. WHen I lift weights, I used to have a discman but
for riding solid state is better because skips annoy me. To be honest,
I look forward to an mp3 player because I will use it for both lifting
and riding!

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious

charles buki wrote:

> ipods are not too big. I get six hours of play; attach to hip.
>
> just run the cable under your shirt so it won't get snagged when you crash;
> great for long boring base building rides.
>
> ipod also makes the mini and the new shuffle, which are incredibly small.
>
> purists will claim they won't ride with tunes; but sometimes it's just plain
> necessary. Like this morning. About 12 degrees in western maryland and I
> will lose what little sanity I have left if not for some music. Off to
> freeze my yickyacks...over and out.
>

> On 1/29/05 12:10 AM, in article
> [email protected], "Mr_Kingkillaha"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
>>I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
>>My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
>>held 1.5 gig.
>>Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are
>>way too big)

Can they be placed on the arm, i.e. do they have holders that strap to
the bicep. I hate when something is attached to my waste when riding
because it seems to flop all over the place and I keep thinking it will
fly off somewhere on trail. They do have great storage. Doesn't the
mini have like 4gig?

--
David R Marlborough
DJ Mackelicious
http://walkingwounded.blogspot.com/

"charles buki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BE20EBAA.4AD3%[email protected]...
> ipods are not too big. I get six hours of play; attach to hip.
>
> just run the cable under your shirt so it won't get snagged when you

crash;
> great for long boring base building rides.
>
> ipod also makes the mini and the new shuffle, which are incredibly small.
>
> purists will claim they won't ride with tunes; but sometimes it's just

plain
> necessary. Like this morning. About 12 degrees in western maryland and I
> will lose what little sanity I have left if not for some music. Off to
> freeze my yickyacks...over and out.
>

> On 1/29/05 12:10 AM, in article
> [email protected], "Mr_Kingkillaha"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Does anyone use an mp3 while they ride (jog, workout, whatever)?
> > I had a Rio player, but it is broken now.
> > My player was about 1.5" X 2.5" X .5", weighed maybe 2 ounces, and
> > held 1.5 gig.
> > Anyone recomend anything of a similar size with similar mem? (ipods are
> > way too big)

Why do you ride if you get bored?

John Spann

I took an RCA Lyra on my last deployment.... Tiny size, takes
additional SD-Ram cards and goes forever on one battery. Pretty darned
indestructible too.

Michel said:
I'm using a creative Muvo N200 1Gb. Very small device with flash memory.
Great battery life-time and no HD ;-)
Never skips ;-)

I will save myself the trouble of making multiple replies.

Michel:
How much $ with after buying flash card?

David:
Yes they have armband cases, but my HD failed before i could buy one.
Rio has a 5G player, as big as a .5" stack of credit cards. But after the 1.5 failed (no visible damage to it at all) and the lack of support from Rio, I can't see myself owning it, even if i did just get a bad one.

Bill:
I have an 8 track but i don't like taking it to the gym. The weights there are heavy enough already.

GeeDubb wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> 8 track now thats living in the past. Your thick as a
>> brick.

> Jethro Tull?

Ol' Aqua Lung himself!

With Bad Intent, Bill

> > Michel:
> > How much $ with after buying flash card?

build in flash memory, not replacable ;-)

"Michel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> I'm using a creative Muvo N200 1Gb. Very small device with flash memory.
> Great battery life-time and no HD ;-)
> Never skips ;-)

I just replaced my Samsung Yepp (Flash 256 MB) with an IPod mini (Hard Drive
4 GB) . I shorted the Yepp out at the gym, it was hanging off my neck and
the sweat dripping off my chin shorted it out. I was looking to replace it
with one of the 1 MB flash players but decided on the IPod mini. One thing
to note on the mini is that it comes with 32 MB of cache memory, music
compressed at 128 kbs is about 1 min per MB. So in actuality the IPod's
hardrive is doing very little spinning, this saves battery life and provides
excellent skip protection. Plus I got an armband for it so I won't sweat
into it.
--
Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/