OT : MP3 players

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JackRabbit, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. JackRabbit

    JackRabbit Guest

    Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ? Inexpensive is
    always good.

    searched the group archives, but since these things change every other week,
    I thought I would ask again.

    Tags:

  2. I-river 256 light and cheap and sounds great.

    Chris

  3. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    JackRabbit wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ? Inexpensive is
    > always good.
    >
    > searched the group archives, but since these things change every other week,
    > I thought I would ask again.

    Creative makes a sports one that's water resistant (how much do you
    sweat in the gym?) and can take add on flash memory cards. I'd have a
    look at that model and see if it meets your needs. Unfortunately,
    Creative is one of those companies (like Canon) that allows their
    Australian subsidiaries to price gouge, charging 200% of what people pay
    in the USA (taking into account currency conversion) just to get the
    Creative Australia warranty. It's no mystery why we get a lot of cheap
    asian imports of similarly featured products at a fraction of the price.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  4. The Gist

    The Gist Guest

    JackRabbit wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ? Inexpensive is
    > always good.
    >
    > searched the group archives, but since these things change every other week,
    > I thought I would ask again.

    I like my Creative MuVo N200 .You can pick up a 256MB one for under
    US$100. 256 MB worth of music is *plenty* for me and I think most people
    won't feel too limited by that much but they make ones with more storage
    if you like.

  5. JackRabbit wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ?

    Inexpensive is
    > always good.
    >
    > searched the group archives, but since these things change every

    other week,
    > I thought I would ask again.

    I have a mini Ipod (I'm anti-Mac, but this MP3 player is the best,
    trust me). I recently went on a trip to Chile and needed a battery
    driven player since I was going to be in the wilderness. I got a
    Creative Muvo 128 flash player. It weighs almost nothing, takes a AAA
    battery which last for about 12 hours. You can fit about 30 to 40 mp3's
    on it, but I crunched about 100 in there by converting to wma format.

    Mike

  6. I got a spv c500 (phone) free on a contract , great mp3 player takes
    mini Sd cards ... upload from the PC ..... dunno why people bother
    with a separate mp3 player meself :)

  7. John

    John Guest

    <adrencg@home.com> wrote in message

    > JackRabbit wrote:
    > > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ?

    > Inexpensive is
    > > always good.
    > >
    > > searched the group archives, but since these things change every

    > other week,
    > > I thought I would ask again.

    > I have a mini Ipod (I'm anti-Mac, but this MP3 player is the best,
    > trust me). I recently went on a trip to Chile and needed a battery
    > driven player since I was going to be in the wilderness. I got a
    > Creative Muvo 128 flash player. It weighs almost nothing, takes a AAA
    > battery which last for about 12 hours. You can fit about 30 to 40 mp3's
    > on it, but I crunched about 100 in there by converting to wma format.

    Ummmm.... Isn't the .wma format much larger than an equivalent .mp3 format?
    Music CD's are created in the .wma format.

  8. John Ray

    John Ray Guest

    "John" <y_tu_momma_tambien@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <adrencg@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> JackRabbit wrote:
    >> > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ?

    >> Inexpensive is
    >> > always good.
    >> >
    >> > searched the group archives, but since these things change every

    >> other week,
    >> > I thought I would ask again.

    >> I have a mini Ipod (I'm anti-Mac, but this MP3 player is the best,
    >> trust me). I recently went on a trip to Chile and needed a battery
    >> driven player since I was going to be in the wilderness. I got a
    >> Creative Muvo 128 flash player. It weighs almost nothing, takes a AAA
    >> battery which last for about 12 hours. You can fit about 30 to 40 mp3's
    >> on it, but I crunched about 100 in there by converting to wma format.

    > Ummmm.... Isn't the .wma format much larger than an equivalent .mp3
    > format?

    No.

    > Music CD's are created in the .wma format.

    Not even close.

    John Ray

  9. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    John wrote:
    > <adrencg@home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>JackRabbit wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ?

    >>Inexpensive is
    >>
    >>>always good.
    >>>
    >>>searched the group archives, but since these things change every

    >>other week,
    >>
    >>>I thought I would ask again.

    >>I have a mini Ipod (I'm anti-Mac, but this MP3 player is the best,
    >>trust me). I recently went on a trip to Chile and needed a battery
    >>driven player since I was going to be in the wilderness. I got a
    >>Creative Muvo 128 flash player. It weighs almost nothing, takes a AAA
    >>battery which last for about 12 hours. You can fit about 30 to 40 mp3's
    >>on it, but I crunched about 100 in there by converting to wma format.

    > Ummmm.... Isn't the .wma format much larger than an equivalent .mp3 format?

    No, they're about half the size. OGG is another format that beats the
    ubiquitous mp3.

    > Music CD's are created in the .wma format.

    nope, not at all. Time for some googling for you!

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  10. Ironhead

    Ironhead Guest

    JackRabbit wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ? Inexpensive is
    > always good.
    >
    > searched the group archives, but since these things change every other week,
    > I thought I would ask again.

    Try this link for some reviews of micro MP3 players:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/4521-6532_7-5021434-5.html?tag=subnav

    I have a 20Gig MP3 player that I use for travel (iRiver), but is too big
    for the gym. I purchesed an "iPod shuffle" 512mb yesterday at best buy
    for $99. The thing weighs less than an ounce, comes with an laynard,
    and its dimensions are 3.5" long, 1" wide, and about 1/3" deep. It fits
    great under the shirt. It does not have a LCD display, but this player
    is gonna get used in the gym ONLY and I only want music played randomly.
    It has a rechargable battery that is recharged via your PC USB port.

  11. JMW

    JMW Guest

    JackRabbit wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a decent, lightweight mp3 player ?

    Inexpensive is
    > always good.
    >
    > searched the group archives, but since these things change every

    other week,
    > I thought I would ask again.

    For the gym, buy a cheapie like this one:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14980&item=5760572732&rd=1

    Similar ones are all over eBay. Less that $40.00 delivered; 128Mb will
    give you about 1.5 hours of music with MP3s at 96Kbps; they're really
    small and attach nicely to a keyring belt clip.

    If it gets crunched or stolen, it's not a huge investment. Spend your
    money on good earplug headphones. Even expensive MP3 players come with
    crappy headphones.

Share This Page