OT: Sun block recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mike Buckler, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Buckler

    Mike Buckler Guest

    So far I've tried:

    UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
    Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
    Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream

    The gel types use alcohol as a solvent, are easy to apply and claim sweat resistance, but
    leave a "painted with varnish look". The Banana Boat Ultra 15+ is OK as long as you keep it
    well away from your eyes! I cannot find the Johnson & Johnson one any more, so I'm currently
    using the UV Triplegard lotion which is OK, but is a typical oil/water based emulsion which
    leaves a greasy residue.

    Any other recommendations ? What do the professional road cyclists use, or do they just get sun
    burnt every day ?

    Mike
     
    Tags:


  2. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:

    > Any other recommendations ?

    I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
    your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's not
    that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and then I
    *always* wipe it in my eyes.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly
     
  3. Someone Else

    Someone Else Guest

    "Mike Buckler" <someone@invalidaddress.somewhere> wrote in message
    news:qqrttv84gvpbhnullon2k0p8uouglt15ra@4ax.com...
    > So far I've tried:
    >
    > UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
    > Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
    > Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream
    >
    > The gel types use alcohol as a solvent, are easy to apply and claim sweat resistance, but leave a
    > "painted with varnish look". The Banana Boat Ultra
    15+
    > is OK as long as you keep it well away from your eyes! I cannot find the Johnson & Johnson one any
    > more, so I'm currently using
    the UV
    > Triplegard lotion which is OK, but is a typical oil/water based emulsion
    which
    > leaves a greasy residue.
    >
    > Any other recommendations ? What do the professional road cyclists use, or
    do
    > they just get sun burnt every day ?
    >
    > Mike

    Not sure what the professionals use. Choice Magazine did a review recently. Here's a link.
    http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104024&catId=100395&tid=100008& p=1
     
  4. Dipper

    Dipper Guest

    Skin Cancers not very good either.......

    I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never applied sunscreen till this year
    & Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.

    "kingsley" <kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au> wrote in message
    news:pan.2003.12.16.21.05.39.587377@maddogsbreakfast.com.au...
    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
    >
    > > Any other recommendations ?
    >
    > I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
    > your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's not
    > that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and then I
    > *always* wipe it in my eyes.
    >
    > -kt
    >
    > --
    > Kingsley Turner, (mailto: kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    > Tales: The good, bad, and down-right
    ugly
     
  5. I use SPF15 reef oil, or nutrimetics SPF15...

    neither get too greasy if you dont apply too much....

    "dipper" <me@workright.now> wrote in message news:newscache$ma20qh$qf8$1@talaxian.upnaway.com...
    > Skin Cancers not very good either.......
    >
    > I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never
    applied
    > sunscreen till this year & Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.
    >
    >
    > "kingsley" <kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2003.12.16.21.05.39.587377@maddogsbreakfast.com.au...
    > > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
    > >
    > > > Any other recommendations ?
    > >
    > > I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
    > > your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's
    > > not that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and
    > > then I *always* wipe it in my eyes.
    > >
    > > -kt
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kingsley Turner, (mailto: kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    > > Tales: The good, bad, and
    down-right
    > ugly
    >
     
  6. Dipper

    Dipper Guest

    talking to someone last night at track suncream does block pores thus preventing u from sweating &
    therefore overheating........solution wear a long sleeve summer top...

    dip

    "dipper" <me@workright.now> wrote in message news:newscache$ma20qh$qf8$1@talaxian.upnaway.com...
    > Skin Cancers not very good either.......
    >
    > I use Face of Australia lotion all over & i was a person that never
    applied
    > sunscreen till this year & Im 41...................... This stuff is not bad..... BG.
    >
    >
    > "kingsley" <kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:pan.2003.12.16.21.05.39.587377@maddogsbreakfast.com.au...
    > > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler wrote:
    > >
    > > > Any other recommendations ?
    > >
    > > I go for a long sleeve jersey, I reckon it's a toss-up between being a little warmer from having
    > > your arms covered and a little warmer by having your pores blocked with gunk... ok maybe it's
    > > not that bad, but sun-cream isn't very good for you, and I don't like that greasy feeling - and
    > > then I *always* wipe it in my eyes.
    > >
    > > -kt
    > >
    > > --
    > > Kingsley Turner, (mailto: kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    > > Tales: The good, bad, and
    down-right
    > ugly
    >
     
  7. David Pascoe

    David Pascoe Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:07:25 +0800, Mike Buckler
    <someone@invalidaddress.somewhere> wrote:

    >So far I've tried:
    >
    >UV Triplegard 15 UV Triplegard 15 sports gel Banta "Oil-free faces" 30+ Banta gel (forgot the SPF)
    >Banana Boat Ultra 15+ Johnson & Johnson (forgot the SPF) Coppertone Utrashade sunblock stick 23+
    >Rosken Solar Block sunstick 15+ Zinc cream

    I use just the cheapo SPF30+ from Coles on my arms and legs - auScreen in a blue bottle.

    For my face I like the new sunscreen for sensitive skin from BareZone - it is a pure physical
    sunscreen with no chemical sunscreens. It is white and thick but rubs in really well and work great.

    davidp.

    --
    David Pascoe, pascoedj+usenet@spamcop.net, Western Australia
     
  8. Kingsley

    Kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:42:24 +0800, David Pascoe wrote:
    > For my face I like the new sunscreen for sensitive skin from BareZone - it is a pure
    > physical sunscreen with no chemical sunscreens. It is white and thick but rubs in really
    > well and work great.

    So is it thick like zinc (zink?) cream ?

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner, (mailto: kingsley@maddogsbreakfast.com.au) http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel
    Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly
     
  9. Neal G

    Neal G Guest

    Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30 sun
    drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This is
    from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.

    To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia. 39
    degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that prevents
    sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.

    A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all sunscreens
    have that by now.
     
  10. Steve M

    Steve M Guest

    On 20 Dec 2003 09:05:19 -0800, oxbowng@yahoo.com (Neal G) wrote:

    >Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30
    >sun drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This
    >is from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.
    >
    > To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia.
    > 39 degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that
    > prevents sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.
    >
    > A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all sunscreens
    > have that by now.

    SPF15+ = *MIN* 14/15 drop (could be 28/29) SPF30+ is always that much better

    Steve
     
  11. Steve M

    Steve M Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:32:27 GMT, Steve M
    <menheere@swiftdsldotcomdotau> wrote:

    >On 20 Dec 2003 09:05:19 -0800, oxbowng@yahoo.com (Neal G) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi I like that y'all are using SPF 15. SPF 15 means 14/15 sun drop, or 93.3%. SPF 30 means 29/30
    >>sun drop, or 96.7%. Small change. The slight increase in sun drop requires harsher chemicals. This
    >>is from an article I saw in a Woman's magazine a few years ago.
    >>
    >> To be fair, that was a US magazine. Most of the US is further from the equator than Australia.
    >> 39 degrees from the equator, I use SPF 15, after some experimenting for the lowest SPF that
    >> prevents sunburn and going beyond a mild tan.
    >>
    >> A dermatologist on a bike ride said UVa and UVb protection was important. I think all
    >> sunscreens have that by now.
    >
    >SPF15+ = *MIN* 14/15 drop (could be 28/29) SPF30+ is always that much better
    should be SPF30+ is NOT always that much better
    >Steve
     
  12. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    sod being fashionable, where possible keep yourself covered. A couple of long-sleeved shirts are perfect for me & 15spf+ sunscreen on the legs/face. Already have had biopsies performed on several suspective freckles. I sooner prefer cycling in non-trendy clothing rather than having to deal with the long-term problems due to not avoiding skin damage.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

Loading...