Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch - bike fitness

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Thomas, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    Hey all,

    Finally got my bike repaired and so I'm now back in action. Wooyay!

    Anyways... had to cycle back from the repair place in Clerkenwell to Shepherd's Bush. First mile was
    OK, but oh my God what is this pain I now have for every pedal after that? It's only been a week and
    a half since I stopped, and yet this was *Seriously* hard work.

    Admittedly, I'd only been cycling to work for a couple of months before buggering up one of the
    crankarms, but is this typical?

    I've now started increasing my cadence by attempting to keep at the same speed in a lower gear,
    which I'm hoping shall help increase my fitness... although the surprisingly thing is that I've only
    noticed my waistline shrink *after* the cycling break, not during...

    Cheers, Thomas.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Finally got my bike repaired and so I'm now back in action. Wooyay!
    >
    > Anyways... had to cycle back from the repair place in Clerkenwell to Shepherd's Bush. First mile
    > was OK, but oh my God what is this pain I now have for every pedal after that? It's only been a
    > week and a half since I stopped, and yet this was *Seriously* hard work.
    >
    > Admittedly, I'd only been cycling to work for a couple of months before buggering up one of the
    > crankarms, but is this typical?
    >
    > I've now started increasing my cadence by attempting to keep at the same speed in a lower gear,
    > which I'm hoping shall help increase my fitness... although the surprisingly thing is that I've
    > only noticed my waistline shrink *after* the cycling break, not during...

    If you get the miles in you will get much fitter. I am riding about 5000 miles a year, mainly
    commuting and it is quite easy now. Main thing is, get enough food and rest and make sure your seat
    is not too low and your frame is the right size. Fit smooth tyres pumped up hard. If you are feeling
    serious pain, then slow down a bit, or get a check up at doctors.

Share This Page