Pacific Mongoose Disc Brake issues

crewchief

May 6, 2006
Hope this is the right place to post this.

I have just purchased a new Mongoose mountain bike with dual disc brakes. I thought they would be as good if not better than my last mountain bike with v-brakes. My first ride was frightning, they simply had no braking power on the front. I was told they needed to be seated in with a 12 mile break in. After a dissapointing break in period they did not respond any better.

I was use to my 1995 Pacific mountain bike that could raise the rear end off the ground at any speed when I grabbed the brake. Why would these be far worse?

Their tech people had me double check the settings and they are fine. The brake pull is normal, the result is just not acceptable.

I really like the bike, the suspension is great, handles like a dream, and it is fairly light weight. I just want to stop when I grab the brakes.

Their tech people finally told me that I shouldn't use just the front brake for braking (Duh, no kidding) but the harder the front is applied the less pressure the rear can handle without skidding. The rear works fine, of course it should since weight transfer helps it lock instantly when applied.

When barrelling down my favorite trail on my old bike I could hit the brakes, raise the rear end off the ground 6 inches, twist my body and fly around a quick turn instantly. The new one missed the turn completely, I simply could not stop.

Don Higgins

www.crewchiefpro.com

assuming these are hydro disks it could be any number of things
1. the pads have still not bedded in properly (this can take quite a whiel)
2. there is air in the system so you get no power (bleed the air out)
3. there is a leak in the system so you get no power (replace the hose and bleed)
4. the pads or rotor have become contaminated somehow and therefore you get no power (replace pads, clean rotor using nail varnish remover)