Pantothenic Acid megadose - permanent side effects

Hi swizzly am glad to hear your wife's getting better.I now know the cause of my problems i have celiac disease which i know 100% was caused through my b5 taking maybe by flooding my body with so many.I was perfectly healthy before this with no family history of this disease.Oh well we live and learn.

All the best wishes to your wife anyway and hope she gets better

Gluten intolerance. Simple test your Dr. can do. You have to be eating a normal-for-you diet prior to test, but I would not eat ANY wheat, rye, barley or even oatmeal for 3 months and see how you feel. The mouth sores tipped me off. Good luck!

Many of the symptoms that folks have reported here sound like adrenal fatigue syndrome. Since B5 can be given to help with adrenal function at lower doses, it does seem possible to me that taking high doses of B5 may disrupt adrenal function in some way. Medical doctors still do not identify or treat adrenal fatigue, which indeed presents with valid symptoms. Antidepressants are often prescribed for conditions which a medical doctor cannot explain. For more information, you can go to drlam.com or Adrenalfatigue.org. I would strongly suggest working with a naturopath doctor to help get back on track. Vitamins and herbs, especially when taken in high doses, should be closely monitored by a naturopath doctor or a trained herbalist. The same herbs and vitamins that work for one, may not work for another. I hope this helps. God bless.

Originally Posted by Molady .

Many of the symptoms that folks have reported here sound like adrenal fatigue syndrome. Since B5 can be given to help with adrenal function at lower doses, it does seem possible to me that taking high doses of B5 may disrupt adrenal function in some way. Medical doctors still do not identify or treat adrenal fatigue, which indeed presents with valid symptoms. Antidepressants are often prescribed for conditions which a medical doctor cannot explain. For more information, you can go to drlam.com or Adrenalfatigue.org. I would strongly suggest working with a naturopath doctor to help get back on track. Vitamins and herbs, especially when taken in high doses, should be closely monitored by a naturopath doctor or a trained herbalist. The same herbs and vitamins that work for one, may not work for another. I hope this helps. God bless.
Yes, absolutely. You should also plan on a career transmuting lead into gold, as well buying a talking dog to keep you company.

Naturopath? Herbalist? Oh, I see: those are quacks.

@swizzly

how is your wife doing with vitamin b5 overdose??? i read what you wrote
i had the same thing occur to me and did plenty of research there's a link i would
like to share with you.

http://i41.tinypic.com/34fmhq9.jpg

i hope she is doing ok now? i am trying to fix my problem still
but please check the link i gave you. take good care.

Hi, i think i can help.
So what brought me to this site is the fact that i have started taking vitamin b's and started noticing a difference. i took a liquid b complex form which i found helped with absorption. I did not mega dose but i think i may know whats wrong with your wife. So the interesting thing about b vitamins is that you need to take them all together to get properly absorbed. AND if you only take one of them it will cause deficiencies in the other vitamins. A SLIGHT deficiency of vitamin B-12 can lead to anemia, fatigue, mania, and depression, while a long term deficiency can potentially cause permanent damage to the brain and central nervous system. Perhaps ur wife is experiencing a temporary vitamin b12 deficiency. I really hope this helps!:)Let me know:)

Thanks you folks for all of your posts!
Last year when I started this thread, I also read about the vitamin B deficiency/unbalance theory. Unfortunately we couldn't let it tested. The physicians didn't take this possibility seriously, so no one ordered a test. My wife took then normal vitamin B complex for a couple of days, and since she didn't get better, she left it.
The other theory with the Gluten intolerance is also interesting, we are looking for a physician, who would consider it, and let it tested. Although, my wife never had problems with gluten before, she still can eat white bread, cookies without having any ingestion problems or whatsoever.
A short update about her condition. Last year she began to visit psychiatrist, and began to take antidepressants. At the beginning the psychiatrist didn't wanted to hear about the vitamin B deficiency, but since she didn't have a clue, what the cause of the depression is, she just agreed, that she has some kind of endogenous - chemical induced - depression. After a couple of weeks the medicament began to work. After taking the drug for months she began to lower the doses. Unfortunately her symptoms got worse. Now she is back on the full doses of the antidepressants. It took again 2-3 weeks till she got better.... We are here again after 1 year, looking for a solution - first maybe the real reason - for her condition. Taking the meds forever is not a satisfying option, since we would like to have a baby soon, and the drug is bad for the unborn - at least it is suspected to be harmful, since there are no real studies on this topic.

Golly, the best place for reliable medical information has to be an internet forum, right? Heck, only stupid people go to doctors to get medical questions answered. Jeez, what do medical professionals know anyway? Nah, it's best to ask anonymous people on an internet forum. Better yet, why not just stop random strangers in the street and ask them? The exit from the gene pool is on your left.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The exit from the gene pool is on your left.
Because some people are so dumb, you'll need to make a little sign with an arrow pointing to the left.

Thanks for your comment alienator! It really helped, no question.
Normally people go first to the doctors and ask for help. But after visiting 10's of doctors at different hospitals and clinics without any reasonable and concordant answer - and of course after paying their horror bills for nothing -, some might come to the idea to look for some answers somewhere else. I think many, especially people with scientific background, can't accept, that there is no answer, and must look for a solution.
Of course it is irresponsible to accept everything you read on the internet forums without questioning it's truth. But it can generate new ideas, hints, that could lead to an explanation, especially if it is mentioned several times. Experimenting at home without professional supervision is probably a suicide, of course these hypotheses must be discussed with a physician, who might consider them and let them tested - at least in order to rule out.
Some can accept that there is no solution for their problem, they are free to do that, it is their choice. They might prefer the idea, that they are not in charge to con troll their life, and just let the things happen to them. But some might look a new solution. Isn't the evolution is all about that. There are species that stayed on the trees or even in the oceans, and there are some who tried something new - of course many of them failed, but the few who survived evolved and can now build spaceships or what the heck, they can even use the internet.

I thought that it might be good to look into the bacteria Serratia marcescens. There is a possibility that a pathogen is at work here, and a possibility that the high doses of B vitamins became a food source for the pathogen. Serratia marcescens is a bacteria that causes a pink- to red orange growth in moist areas. It has been found to contaminate catheters and syringes that were sterilized and sealed in plastic for medical use. It can be found inside a faucet, or in a shower or toilet. It was once considered benign but has caused reactive arthritis as well as a host of other symptoms. It can cause pink orange staining of the teeth. I'm thinking that the B vitamins were a super food for a strain of serrate marcescens. You may want to have your saliva and blood checked just in case.. Here are a couple of sites to take a look at. The third link displays images of serrate marcescens, it looks like they are including a picture of an orange tongue. I hope this was helpful. Be well.

http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Opportunistic_Infections_Caused_by_Serratia_marcescens

http://web.mst.edu/~microbio/bio221_2004/s_marcescens.htm

ttp://www.google.com/search?q=serratia+marcescens+images&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i3TsT_PPOYnoqAGXxI3SBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=715

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.
It does sound because of the temporal relationship that the B5 might be related to your somatic complains.
I actually liked the hypothesis of "A SLIGHT deficiency of vitamin B-12 can lead to anemia, fatigue, mania, and depression, while a long term deficiency can potentially cause permanent damage to the brain and central nervous system" of another forum user. The B5 by competing with the B12 for absortion, may have displaced and overall decrased and caused a deficiency of B-12 with the above stated consequences.
In a way by taking such huge doses of B5 you participated in a experient with yourself. Not many people or science and doctors know what their chronic effect would be, and there is always the chance for an idiosyncratic reaction, that only happens to 1 or 2 people in the whole world and nobody ever have seen it before.
It would be ideal that you see another doctor, perhaps a nutritionist to discuss your diagnosis possibilities in addition to your internist. Nutritionist know a lot about vitamins defiencies and effects And always ask for a second opinion.
And if you don't feel well go to the emergency room. To prevent is better than to have to cure afterwards
Good luck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12_deficiency#Psychological_symptoms_and_mental_disorders

Hi,
There are too much to study and learn that most doctors may not be able to afford time to inform patients at appointments or possible ignorant for medical profits but bad for America's environmental ecology. The greattest opportunity is surfing the internet like crazy for better or best-bet results. My wife wasn't good with her health from frustrated to worried to life-threatened after many medical visits I had to help her for everything she needed. Alone to acknowledge of pantothenic acid isn't balanced well in mind because I've had to study and learn 4 key hormones but always more to know. The best benefit is to be aware of all vitamins and herbal kinds. That's the way I've gotten to know more than just adrenal being overloaded or something to stress other part(s) somewhere in the body plus between relax and too busy to overwhelmed pressure through the circumstance of the usual situation daily basis. For example, I would have to learn more of thyroid glands such T4 and T3 checks as Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. Wondering about T1 and T2? I don't know this far but you can study on your own. What's next after thyroid glands go to the brain called pituitary gland. Do all of these make you pretty interesting? These are, actually much more than these, also very important for women. (Don't tell US President Barrack Obama! LOL) Pregnant women with hyperemesis at high-risk with high medical cost may be because of not aware of stress level, imbalanced glands, etc. Pregnant women get nauseous easily; does it mean no use of ginger practical?
I'm starting to be weird so I gotta stop typing. Hope these can ring your heads up for an overall fresh education. Be warned, education is always the seed of weapon like Osama bin Laden did. Help one another as always and God bless you all. *CHEER* /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

You don't know what you don't know. The medical system has ignored Homeopathic medicine for many reasons. The most obvious is it takes the income away from the drug companies. However the Drug companies are seeing the profit of herbs and such and are now selling the stuff, a transfer of wealth. It is not a matter of good for you but good for them. Medical doctors are bound by the system not your health like everything else is profit motivated. Wake up! The answer above is valid. This is for Alienator on page two. How rude!

I know this this thread is very old, but in case anyone is still checking it, I thought I'd leave one more idea to check.

Long-term megadoses, even of water-soluble vitamins, can lead to unintended effects. Many vitamins have metabolic or absorption interrelationships; so if one vitamin has a high intake over a long period of time, the related ones could theoretically become deficient.

Pantothenic acid, biotin, and lipoic acid have such a relationship. For example, see http://books.google.com/books?id=iv82IDWL2JQC&pg=PA133&dq=pantothenic-acid+biotin&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DiQpUcH8DurW2wWm5IH4CA&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAg , page 133: "1) Biotin, lipoic acid and pantothenic acid share the same transport system for cellular uptake.... 2) Pantothenic acid and lipoic acid may compete with biotin for the transporter SMVT (see above); hence, supplements containing large doses of pantothenic and lipoic acid acid may decrease cellular uptake of biotin. Indeed, chronic administration of pharmacologic doses of lipoic acid decreases the activities of pyruvate carboxylase and beta-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase in rat liver to 64% to 72% of controls". I just picked a medical text at random, so if you search Google Books you should find other medical books with more information.

Anyone taking large doses of pantothenic acid or lipoic acid might inadvertently create a biotin deficiency.

Symptoms of biotin deficiency are dermatitis (scaly patches, especially around the nose and mouth), parasthesia/tingling, anemia, frequent pinkeye, irregular heartbeat, anorexia, and hair loss.

One caution: it may be tempting to simply take a biotin megadose to balance a pantothenic acid megadose, but this may not be wise, since more than just these two vitamins have interrelationships in the body. For example, blood levels of other B-vitamins, glucose, and cholesterol may be affected too. There is one study where a woman taking large doses of biotin and pantothenic acid developed a life-threatening condition ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11302404 ), and the amounts she was taking weren't outrageous (I think I read 10mg biotin and 300mg pantothenic acid) . In general, I think it's best to take the smallest effective dose of any supplement... or maybe take a megadose for only a limited time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Has anyone stopped the hairloss after megadosing this? I only megadosed for 3 weeks and have had symptoms for the last 6 months.