Pedals? Cheap but good quality looking for good pedals for around £30

WasterMatt

Aug 29, 2012
I'm currently investing in my first road bike, which is a 2009 model Specialized Allez, it's coming with some pedals but I have been told one of them is broken so I'll need to get a hold of some for myself.

I'm looking for a good pedal that will last as I plan on doing 100+ miles a week and need pedals that will withstand that sort of wear.

I've read a little about clipless and cleats and am looking for some entry-level pedals. I have read that Shimano R540's are good but other than that I have no clue what to get.

Thanks, any advice or directions to relevant threads or articles would be appreciated.

p.s. Any advice relating to the cleats that would be compatible with the pedals and also a good pair of shoes (for about £60 - £70) would also be very highly appreciated.

Watch eBay. I just got a set of Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals for $54 shipped. The pedals should come with the cleats.

Yes Ebay is a good source. I have experience with several Wellgo models of pedal. The Look ARC compatible have been working well for me over the past few seasons. The biggest drawback is that the cleat is all plastic and subject to wear; they eventually wear out and break. They should be inspected before every few rides. Replacements cleats can be found cheap, on sale for less than $10.

I also use the Nashbar (wellgo) SoHo pedal. I believe that it is a clone of the A530. These use the SPD cleat system on one side and a street shoe friendly platform on the other. They have been working great over 3 seasons. SPD cleats are all steel, they will work for years without issue.

R540's look good and are as inexpensive as the generics. I might be tempted to switch over, but I am invested in the ARC cleats.

I got some Shimano 105 pedals for $55 shipped on eBay. They were brand new in original packing. Normally run $80-$90. Great pedal. http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/road/105_5700/product.-code-PD-5700-S.-type-.pd_road.html

Yep, I agree: you can't go past the new 105s for value. I've got about 7 pairs of them. I got them online on one of the UK shops for about $55 each, with cleats. Some local shops around here sell just the cleats for $45.

531Aussie said:
Some local shops around here sell just the cleats for $45.   
Proof that bike kit prices go up the closer to Antarctica you get.