pedals: chrome-moly or stainless

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mattjf, Aug 18, 2005.

1. mattjf

mattjf New Member

Other than weight, is there a difference between chrome-moly or stainless? I am looking at the Speedplay Zeros. The Ti have a rider weight limit of 185. Would that be a concern for the chrome-moly?

-Matt

Tags:

2. SCDETAILER

SCDETAILER New Member

Rider weight is not stated on the chromoly. That would be the stronger of the three and the cheapest. I had the stainless and they were strong enough.

3. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

Stainless won't rust like chromoly. Having said that, as long as you keep the chromoly oiled and greased, rust shouldn't be a problem. I've used chromoly for as long as I can remember and never broke or bent one, but I'm fairly lightweight.

Bill.

4. napcop

napcop New Member

I just bought Zero's (SS) this summer. My buddies have been riding them for years. LOVE THEM. I swap them onto my spin-bike in the winter, so I went to the SS model to avoid rust...I sweat alot. By the way, I'm #200 / 5'09" and have never bent a SS or chro-mo pedal (zero, frog, or PD).

5. slbenz

slbenz New Member

Like the other posters have said, rust would be the only difference in terms of maintenance. Strength and stiffness between the two materials are very little, if any, for the average rider. Never had a problem in the five years I have owned the Speedplay X/3s or over ten years with their Frogs.

6. mattjf

mattjf New Member

Thanks for all your advice.

I have one final question. I have been riding with the Speedplay X/3's, but I just can't get used to all the float. That is why I was looking at the Zeros.

I have pretty big feet. Shoe size is 13, but a 13.5 fits me better. I am a 47 in cycling shoes. I am wearing the Shimano R215 shoes.

My question is, would there be a better pedal for me with such a big foot? With the X/3s, I hit the rear chainstay all the time because my foot is big and wide, so I want to restrict interior float. I have been looking at the Ultegra pedals (I have everything else ultegra). Is there a pedal that is best for "big footed" riders?

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
    Matt

7. shannons dad

shannons dad New Member

You could try adjusting the angle of the cleats on the bottom of your shoes. Alot of riders just plonk them on with the tip pointing straight towards the toe of their shoes. Maybe setting them towards the outside toe might swing your heel out enough to avoid the chainstays.

Bill.

8. napcop

napcop New Member

Once again, the speedplay's have side-to-side adjustment. I really don't think youcould go wront with the Zero's. If you don't like them after a ride or two, you could probably get almost all of your money back out of them on Ebay. Just my $.02

9. mattjf

mattjf New Member

Thanks for all your help. I went with the Speedplay Zeros chrome-moly. Deciding factor between that and SS was price, and the LBS is out of SS, and one chrome-moly left. 2 week wait for the SS. It was required I get it from the LBS due to some discounts.

Thanks again.

-Matt