Percentage of Heart Rate

pwebster

Nov 17, 2004
This question is for all you cyclists who are like me and still in the Stone Age using HRMs until we can get enough cash together for a PowerTap.

Suppose your workout requires that you target 80% MHR. How many of use (a) 80% straight off MHR versus (b) (MHR - resting HR) * 80% + resting HR?

The reason that I ask is because with method a 80% for me is 160 BPM whereas for method b it is 170 BPM (200 BPM - 50 BPM = 150 BPM * 80% = 120 BPM + 50 BPM = 170 BPM. And translated into RPE, 170 BPM is easily a couple of notches higher than 160 BPM. Also using method a means that every 10% is 20 BPM whereas with method b it is 15 BPM. Many work-out "charts" are set up in 10% bands eg at 50% of HR you're doing this, at 60% you're doing something else, 70% is something else and so on. With method a the band is kind of wide at 20 BPM.

Let me know your thoughts.

PW

pwebster said:
This question is for all you cyclists who are like me and still in the Stone Age using HRMs until we can get enough cash together for a PowerTap.

Suppose your workout requires that you target 80% MHR. How many of use (a) 80% straight off MHR versus (b) (MHR - resting HR) * 80% + resting HR?

The reason that I ask is because with method a 80% for me is 160 BPM whereas for method b it is 170 BPM (200 BPM - 50 BPM = 150 BPM * 80% = 120 BPM + 50 BPM = 170 BPM. And translated into RPE, 170 BPM is easily a couple of notches higher than 160 BPM. Also using method a means that every 10% is 20 BPM whereas with method b it is 15 BPM. Many work-out "charts" are set up in 10% bands eg at 50% of HR you're doing this, at 60% you're doing something else, 70% is something else and so on. With method a the band is kind of wide at 20 BPM.

PW

I think you should use whatever approach was taken by the person who put forth the training "zones". IOW, if they say train at such and such percentage of maximum heart rate, do that, whereas if they say training at such and such percentage of maximum heart rate RESERVE, then you should do that instead. As you've discovered, the two are not the same thing (although they tend to converge at very high intensities), so to mix-and-match is just asking for problems.

pwebster said:

PW
Also, I may add that the higher the intensity, the smaller the difference between both approaches.

You shouldn't face a big difference when stimulating VO2Max for instance. But I agree, that for basic endurance, the difference is quite significant.

On the other hand, if the max hr is under of over estimated, then the error will follow accross the whole spectrum.

Coming from a running background into cycling, I still watch my heart rate because I have a better feel for what that means for me. (How much money could I make if I could create running shoes that could report the wattage output?! :rolleyes: )

Having said that, I prefer the calculation for Heart Rate Reserve (HRR) to a straight percentage of your heart rate. The main reason I prefer it, is it somewhat takes into account your current aerobic fitness level - at least as far as your Resting Heart Rate (RHR) is an indicator of this.

The HRR method is also better if (like me) you take a little more down time in the off-season and lose some aerobic fitness and then gain it back once you start training in earnest again. My RHR can slide easily 8 or 10 beats between when I'm "in shape" and when I'm not. It allows me to adjust my zones during the season as I increase fitness.

For someone who maintains aerobic fitness well in the off-season, their zones may not change as much in the course of a season.

My $0.02

acoggan said:
I think you should use whatever approach was taken by the person who put forth the training "zones". IOW, if they say train at such and such percentage of maximum heart rate, do that, whereas if they say training at such and such percentage of maximum heart rate RESERVE, then you should do that instead. As you've discovered, the two are not the same thing (although they tend to converge at very high intensities), so to mix-and-match is just asking for problems.
Thanks I was hoping you'd post a reply.

Most of the stuff I read either suggests method a or isn't specific (but probably means meth a). But in these examples where there is a description of the intensity along with the percentages it doesn;t seem to fit unless I switch to using what you called MHR Reserve. I guess the conclusion I'm heading towards is that these are "boilerplate" workout samples and I need to tweak them to fit what works better for me. Or else I need to coach to start again from the ground up devloping a workout program for me??? Thanks again for your comments. PW