Persistence/recurrence of midge bites 3 months later

Sim

Guest
Hi,

I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.

It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.

Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
especially with 3 bites around my eye.

Thanks

Sim.

In message <[email protected]>, Sim <[email protected]> writes
>Hi,
>
>I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.
>
>It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
>Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
>especially with 3 bites around my eye.

I think you should visit the doctor. Also if you have any furry pets could they have fleas? If you
do have furry pets, remember the stuff from the pet shops is ineffective - the vets is the place to
get the effective *safe* stuff.

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

In article <[email protected]>, Sim <[email protected]> writes
>Hi,
>
>I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.
>
>It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
>Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
>especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
>Thanks
>
>Sim.

My sympathies.

I have the same problem, so does my wife. But our theory is that these "recurrent bites" were
originally caused by clegs. They seem quantitatively different from the other normal bites.

(Cleg fly. Large but silent and unnoticed until the bite, a much worse bite than midges)

We've not found anything which can be done. But frequency of new spots tends to deteriorate over
time. At first I could not wear a watch as one was just under the strap. Now (maybe 2 years later) I
cannot wear a watch for 3 days running but shorter periods OK.

Now we simply avoid visiting the Western highlands between the months of May and September.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In message <[email protected]>, Steve Jones
<[email protected]> writes
>> >I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>> >midges.
>Ouch!!
>> >It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>> >bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>I know it drives you dull, bt if you can possibly not scratch it will help the healing process.
>> >Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the
>> >scratching, especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
>Had a fairly similar situation a few years ago with some sort of rash from brushing against spruce
>pines. Was especially bad if I went from cold to hot or under any sort of stress and was driving me
>bonkers. I was given Piriton (anti-histamine) worked very quickly each time I had an attack and as
>I was no longer scratching, the attacks got fewer until a few weeks later stopped altogether.

Piriton is an OTC now and is great if itching is keeping you awake at night - but not if you have to
drive as it makes many people very drowsy.

I still reckon a doctors visit would be an idea - and a vet one if you have furry pets.

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

In article <[email protected]>, Rab <rab_c_ANTISPAMne
[email protected]> writes

>> <[email protected]> writes
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>> >midges.
>> >

>------- Snip --------------
>
>-
>
>Hmmm if you were only bitten 80 times by midges you were either
> - very lucky or
> - only out in the open for a few minutes...
> - they weren't midge bites
>
>it is quite common to come back with hundreds of the wee little red spots....

Only if you don't know what to do. I've never had hundreds of bites (and they are NOT wee red spots.
They can be 0.5" large and always very very itchy.

How to take care:

1. Don't go out in low light conditions (dark is OK)
2. Don't go out in low wind conditions
3. Always use some deet-based deterrent, or O-So-Soft.
4. Keep windows shut in low light conditions, preferably always

On a week in the west coast in summer I reckon on getting no more than 20 bites by obeying
the above.

But even that is too much for me unless forced to it :-(

The book "midges in Scotland" is worth its weight for the advice.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In message <[email protected]>, Sim <[email protected]> writes
>Hi,
>
>I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.
>
>It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
>Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
>especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
>Thanks
>
>Sim.

I believe that certain fly bites can carry wart viruses. I have had a wart on my hand for many years
(harmless enough) that was certainly caused by an insect bite.

Anyone else had this happen to them?
--
Chris Morriss

[email protected] said...
> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.
>
> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.

Sounds extremely unlikely, to be honest. Have you got any allergies that you know of, because that's
what it sounds like. New bites can't 'recur', but if you've got an overactive mattress (sorry, but
I'm afraid that's life - as it were) it could be the bugs biting; if you've got a cat or dog it's
possible that some fleas have hatched. At least if that's the problem it's easy to sort out. I'd be
inclined to make an appointment to see your GP and ask his/her advice - and I'd be inclined to do so
before the holiday if possible.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>> midges.
>>
>> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>>
>Sounds extremely unlikely, to be honest. Have you got any allergies that you know of, because
>that's what it sounds like.

Agreed. But my recurrence is in the identical place and I put it down to an allergy to midge bites.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

The message <[email protected]>
from [email protected] (Sim) contains these words:

> Hi,

> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.

> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.

> Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
> especially with 3 bites around my eye.

I have been going out on the Scottish hills for over 30 years and have never known of anyone getting
'recurring' midge bites as you suggest. Most people get the small red spots that one writer
mentions. A few people who are 'allergic' to midge bites get the large red spots. Both types are
always, in my experience, away in a few days, a week at the most. I suggest that you are either
suffering from flea bites from a pet or you have some form of allergy. The midge takes the blame for
many things but this aint one of them.

--
Len Trim [email protected]

In message <[email protected]>, Bernard Hill <[email protected]> writes
>In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
>>[email protected] said...
>>> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>>> midges.
>>>
>>> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>>> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>>>
>>Sounds extremely unlikely, to be honest. Have you got any allergies that you know of, because
>>that's what it sounds like.
>
>Agreed. But my recurrence is in the identical place and I put it down to an allergy to midge bites.

But surely there are no midges where you are now to set any allergy to midge bites of. This could be
something quite unrelated (now).

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

In message <[email protected]>, Leonard Trim <[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Sim)
>contains these words:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>> midges.
>
>> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
>> Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
>> especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
>I have been going out on the Scottish hills for over 30 years and have never known of anyone
>getting 'recurring' midge bites as you suggest. Most people get the small red spots that one writer
>mentions. A few people who are 'allergic' to midge bites get the large red spots. Both types are
>always, in my experience, away in a few days, a week at the most. I suggest that you are either
>suffering from flea bites from a pet

So *someone* agrees with me!

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Rooney <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:33:53 +0000, Bernard Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Only if you don't know what to do. I've never had hundreds of bites (and they are NOT wee red
>>spots. They can be 0.5" large and always very very itchy.
>>
>>How to take care:
>>
>>1. Don't go out in low light conditions (dark is OK)
>
>So camping in summer's out of the question!

It is for me.

>>2. Don't go out in low wind conditions
>
>Stay in the tent for the duration of the holiday in the hope that the wind will pick up?

Or you could camp high enough so there is always some wind.

>>3. Always use some deet-based deterrent, or O-So-Soft.
>
>Works for some people - not for everyone though.

Quite possibly. I find that OSS does not discourage the midges but it does drown them: I find them
dead all over my arms.

>>4. Keep windows shut in low light conditions, preferably always
>
>I don't take any windows with me when I'm out walking!
>

>Incidentally, they can be just as ferocious and numerous in the dark. It may be that you're not
>their preferred type - they do go for some people more than others.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In article <[email protected]>, Leonard Trim <[email protected]> writes
>The message <[email protected]> from [email protected] (Sim)
>contains these words:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
>> midges.
>
>> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
>> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
>> Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
>> especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
>I have been going out on the Scottish hills for over 30 years and have never known of anyone
>getting 'recurring' midge bites as you suggest. Most people get the small red spots that one writer
>mentions. A few people who are 'allergic' to midge bites get the large red spots.

Must be me. I've seen the red spots but never had any afaik.

> Both types are always, in my experience, away in a few days, a week at the most.

10-14 days for me.

>I suggest that you are either suffering from flea bites from a pet

no pets

> or you have some form of allergy.

quite possibly: it looks and feels like a nickel allergy which I can sometimes get.

It may well be that the proboscis of a biting insect is still there in the skin.

>The midge takes the blame for many things but this aint one of them.

As I said earlier, I suspect the Cleg.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

Sim <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by midges.
>
> It's now December and I am still scratching some of my bites. Worst of all, i am now finding new
> bites recurring in the same spots and looking exactly like the bites I received in August.
>
> Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do? I am going mad with all the scratching,
> especially with 3 bites around my eye.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sim.

RUBBISH...see a shrink!

In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Fran <[email protected]> writes
>> >[email protected] said...

>> >Sounds extremely unlikely, to be honest. Have you got any allergies that you know of, because
>> >that's what it sounds like.
>>
>> Agreed. But my recurrence is in the identical place and I put it down to an allergy to
>> midge bites.
>
>If I hadn't heard it here I'd be thinking I was listening to a radio drama. However - you seem level-
>headed enough... it just sounds so
>- implausible! How on earth can bites *recur*?

One possibility is that it's an allergy and there is a bit of the insect still in there to get
allergic to.

Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

In message <[email protected]>, Sim <[email protected]> writes
>"AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > RUBBISH...see a shrink!
>>
>> Nice bedside manner there, Stu.
>
>Hi all,
>
>Thanks for all your replies. I do have a pet at home, so the bites could be related to fleas, but I
>have had my pet for 15 years and never had this problem before.
>
>So after everyone's comments, I will be seeing a doctor and have tried an anti-histamine, but
>unfortunately the medication made me sleepy. I may try another brand instead.

The ones which cause less drowsiness are the ones which cost more. ;-)

Also the effective safe flea treatments are the ones which cost more - Frontline for example.

Having had your pet for 15 years is no protection against him or her getting fleas now - if
only it was!

--
Five Cats Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>> A quick moving, eat on the go strategy works well along
>
>Roger shouldn't be troubled then.

If you were following Roger, you'd be knee deep in knackered midges.

Sorry for keeping on Roger, it's a form of compliment to your undoubted ability really :)
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <+hxzmrFihr5$EwY6@[127.0.0.1]>, Five Cats <cats_spam@[127.0.0.1]> writes
>Also the effective safe flea treatments are the ones which cost more - Frontline for example.

For the pet of course !!!!

1 sachet of Frontline treats the pet for 3 months against fleas and 1 month against ticks.
--

------- Snip --------------

-

Hmmm if you were only bitten 80 times by midges you were either
- very lucky or
- only out in the open for a few minutes...
- they weren't midge bites

it is quite common to come back with hundreds of the wee little red spots....

Like another correspondent I suspect "clegs" - I recall being very interestingly bothered by some
one summer's day a couple of years ago in Glen Affric.. IIRC it was quite good weather - they were
biting THROUGH my shirt/long-sleeved t-shirt and only by going high enough to get on a ridge with
enough of a breeze did I escape them....

I also concur - go see a medical man, fast, whatever it is it has gone on too long and too
seriously ...

Yours,

writing from Ascot, blessedly midge-free but with a surfeit of bumptious self-important little-
englanders .. (well it is race day...)

Seasons greetings...

Rab

---

> >I visited Scotland (well Glen Affric) in August this year, where I bitten over 80 times by
> >midges.
Ouch!!