Polishing Titanium Seatpost

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Graham, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost

    TIA

    Graham

    Tags:

  2. sean

    sean Guest

    "Graham" <gtgelliott@hotmailDOT.com> wrote in message news:<cd3trl$gc3$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
    > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Graham
    > --

    PEEK metal polish. Its like a mild paste. Local Hardware store. use a
    soft cloth wipe on wipe off almost immediately.
    Sean.

  3. > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Graham
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510
    > <HTML><HEAD>
    > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
    > <STYLE></STYLE>
    > </HEAD>
    > <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
    > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Does anyone have advice on which type of
    > polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to
    > polish a Titanium seatpost</FONT></DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
    > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510--

    HTML?!?! I bet you top post too :p

  4. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Mark Thompson" <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Graham
    > > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510
    > > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    > > <HTML><HEAD>
    > > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    > > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
    > > <STYLE></STYLE>
    > > </HEAD>
    > > <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
    > > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Does anyone have advice on which type of
    > > polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to
    > > polish a Titanium seatpost</FONT></DIV>
    > > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
    > > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
    > > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
    > > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
    > >
    > > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510--

    > HTML?!?! I bet you top post too :p

    No

    Graham

  5. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:25:57 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
    <gtgelliott@hotmailDOT.com> wrote:

    >Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Graham

    1: remove oxide film from surface
    2: wait for film to reform
    3: repeat until seatpost disappears

    If you want shiny titanium, get it nitrided. Then the surface will be
    so hard and so smooth that your seatpost will slip every time you ride
    over a piece of overbanding.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  6. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Graham" <gtgelliott@hotmailDOT.com> wrote:

    > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost

    I have not tried polishing Ti, but my experience with polishing
    stainless steel and nickel alloys leads me to believe that you will
    want a buffing wheel for the job, with Tripoli earth or White Diamond
    compound. A lot depends on the smoothness of the surface you're
    starting with and the level of luster you are trying to achieve.

    If you are intent on doing it by hand, use a shoeshine-buff method
    with a long strap of cloth, preferably while holding the seatpost in a
    vise (or overextended in the bike frame while in a workstand). Flitz
    is a good polish paste.

    Chalo Colina

  7. Pete whelan

    Pete whelan Guest

    Titano ... available at all good hardware stores that stock Brasso and Silvo

    Graham wrote:
    > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Graham

  8. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Pete whelan" <pete.whelan@talk12.com> wrote in message
    > Titano ... available at all good hardware stores that stock Brasso and

    Silvo

    > Graham wrote:
    > > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
    > > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Graham

    Thanks for the replies.

    Graham