poser cyclists

frenchcycling

Jul 19, 2005
What stuff do you guys think makes up a poser cyclist? (for example, team issue equiptment, discovery channel kit, hairly legs, carbon everything etc.)

frenchcycling said:
What stuff do you guys think makes up a poser cyclist? (for example, team issue equiptment, discovery channel kit, hairly legs, carbon everything etc.)
I'd say that thinking about such things makes you a poser.

there is more than one way to enjoy cycling. some people like building nice bikes but not doing much riding, others like riding hacks but training loads. each to their own i say, we cant really brand anyone a deliberate poser.

having said that...those lance lookalikes with treks and discovery kit and nike shoes are for me the equivalent of girls thoise girls who do everything to look like barbie...

I was thinking of purchasing a Discovery jersey, but I though I should get competitive first. :) Instead I'm considering getting a Spagettio's jersey. :D

The only thing that makes a rider a poser is $5,000 of equipment/gear and not knowing how to ride. But if you're going to drop 5g's, I sure hope you know what you're doing!

frenchcycling said:
I'd say shaved legs *on a newbie- or non-racer.* By definition, a poser is someone trying to appear to be something they are not.

frenchcycling said:
All that stuff signifies a cyclist who isn't really all that serious about the sport for sure... but IMO it is far worse of a pose to not ride. For example here in Brasil there are not a lot of great places to ride, but there is a park where everyone congregates, and you will often find several pelotons grouped by ability on weeknights... with few exceptions the guys on the expensive bikes will usually make one or two laps (they will get dropped when the pace is high) then stop and BS hanging out for two hours just posing as cyclists (the park is very popular with runners too) for all the girls, etc. I just don't get it. I will ride 80km while they are just trying to look the part (and stay slow rather than getting stronger). These guys are total posuers to me.

wilmar13 said:
All that stuff signifies a cyclist who isn't really all that serious about the sport for sure... but IMO it is far worse of a pose to not ride. For example here in Brasil there are not a lot of great places to ride, but there is a park where everyone congregates, and you will often find several pelotons grouped by ability on weeknights... with few exceptions the guys on the expensive bikes will usually make one or two laps (they will get dropped when the pace is high) then stop and BS hanging out for two hours just posing as cyclists (the park is very popular with runners too) for all the girls, etc. I just don't get it. I will ride 80km while they are just trying to look the part (and stay slow rather than getting stronger). These guys are total posuers to me.
I agree. Although I am rather a newbie myself I hate seeing people who try to look the look and talk the talk but when it comes time for action, they're no where to be found. To me that is the ultimate definition of a poser. Not the equipment, the shaving, or the clothes, just the attitude and the fact that they come off as being prodigy and wind up being a failure by all means of the word. If they can afford a $10,000 bike, all the more power to them, however if they get that and wind up doing a mile a day, not even trying, just to say "I'm a cyclist", very low class. If someone is truly giving it their all, and doing something, such as shaving even though they don't race, then I don't see how anyone gets off calling them a poser. It’s just those idiots that don't give a flying fruit that are posers.

-Cameron

frenchcycling said:

This is a ridiculous question. It reminds me of the pettiness practiced by children who enjoy making fun of other children because of their clothing, hair style, speech patterns, etc. Why should it make any difference if someone chooses a particular type of equipment? It's their life (and money). Riding that expensive bike or wearing a Discovery jersey may provide a certain joy to that person or help them oversome some tragedy in their life. Enjoy life; celebrate others' happinesses!

I don't have the Discovery Team kit, but I do have one of the USPS kits. Yes, I am sometimes hesitant to wear it, but that it only because if I know my ride isn't going to be really intense, I feel as if I'm doing a disservice to the kit and what it stands for. Weird, I know.

Obviously, if you just spend the money to 'show off', then, yes, I think you are a poser. But, if you have the resources, and are passionate about the sport, then by all means, do whatever you want to make yourself feel good about riding!

But I do know, when I wear my USPS kit (and my college's jersey), mentally, I'm a lot stronger and feel stronger. It's a pride issue.

!!!Regardless, if you love this sport, then do whatever you have to do to enjoy it!!!!

leslierc8853 said:
This is a ridiculous question. It reminds me of the pettiness practiced by children who enjoy making fun of other children because of their clothing, hair style, speech patterns, etc. Why should it make any difference if someone chooses a particular type of equipment? It's their life (and money). Riding that expensive bike or wearing a Discovery jersey may provide a certain joy to that person or help them oversome some tragedy in their life. Enjoy life; celebrate others' happinesses!
Amen, Leslie (and prep H)!!!!

waxbytes said:
It's spelled "poseur" not "poser".:D :p :cool:
"po·seur n.

One who affects a particular attribute, attitude, or identity to impress or influence others."

or

"poser

n 1: a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not [syn: poseur]"

You could argue that both spellings are correct.

SomeGuy said:
"po·seur n.

One who affects a particular attribute, attitude, or identity to impress or influence others."

or

"poser

n 1: a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not [syn: poseur]"

You could argue that both spellings are correct.
when you go to Manila Philippines and see 200 cyclists riding either COLNAGOS or SEVEN CYCLES TITANIUM...and got either DURA 10 or CAMPY CARBON...then wears either PHONAK SWISS, TREK YELLOW JERSEY,PRIMAL WEAR ... dont you dare call them posers...these are mega rich executive cyclists...riding once a month for MASTERS CUP EXECUTIVE RACES...the race is from February to November...if you dont think they are fast...go ahead...try your luck...they are all good enough to join the SouthEast Asian Games....P.S. the one on the RED FERRARI COLNAGO C35...thats me...if you wanna know how fast the Ferrari can go.... i have maxed it 67kph on flats... :)

FrenchCycling you really need to find another past time one that you can soley enjoy without worrying about if Lance is a Dope, or about so called posers... you clearly are a negative person at heart that obviously does not have any idols to look up to.

Sad an sorry dude!!!

If someone wants to shave their legs, wear Discovery Team jersey and shorts, buy a $100,000 bike and never ride it, so what????? If they insist on spending your money, then worry, otherwise let it go... with the economies of scale we should urge everyone to buy high end clothing and equipment that we would love to have and then when they get bored... it would lead to a surplus and some affordable stuff for us to buy.

:)

Or look on eBay for a good buy as they look to recover part of their investment...

How many people do you honestly think need to upgrade from their OCLV bike??? My guess is 87.65% of the people on eBay claiming they are upgrading are recouping their losses, as it wouldn't sell as well to say "I didn't like the sport"

It is hard for us to believe, but there are just some people that don't find riding fun...

dgregory57 said:
If someone wants to shave their legs, wear Discovery Team jersey and shorts, buy a $100,000 bike and never ride it, so what????? If they insist on spending your money, then worry, otherwise let it go... with the economies of scale we should urge everyone to buy high end clothing and equipment that we would love to have and then when they get bored... it would lead to a surplus and some affordable stuff for us to buy.

Or look on eBay for a good buy as they look to recover part of their investment...

How many people do you honestly think need to upgrade from their OCLV bike??? My guess is 87.65% of the people on eBay claiming they are upgrading are recouping their losses, as it wouldn't sell as well to say "I didn't like the sport"

It is hard for us to believe, but there are just some people that don't find riding fun...
I agree with you on some people buying a load of stuff, and finding out they don't like the sport. I see many people that want to buy the higher-end stuff to ride with their friends who have been doing it for years. Its obvious they want to show-off. They then find out its not their thing. Happens all the time... the best is when they try to return the bike after not being able to get up hills or after a crash.

But then you have the other side of the spectrum. At one time we were all new to this sport. And I'm positive people have called me, and maybe any one of you out there, a poser. Hell, I rode centuries on my fixed gear rockin the high-end bibs, jersey, sidi and look pedals cause at the time, thats all I wanted to ride. People looked at me and laughed cause I couldnt switch gears.

So most of the time I don't even pay attention. Alot of people will pose but the only ones that do you never see riding.

Usually when you see the guy getting passed by a jogger or something like that, also when you see that whenever he stops he just tips over because he can't unclip. You'll see them taking a pose and looking down on other bikers.

No problem with the two guys I saw out Sunday dressed in full Discovery gear on Treks complete with Livestrong bracelets, especially when I hammered past them on a hill wearing my mismatched eBay team gear on a bike I built from the frame up! If they want to spend their cash that way, so be it. Anyone out on a bike is still better than the couch potato so I have no beef. Personally, the Discovery kit is kind of lame graphics wise, but that's just my .02. I have more of a problem with the person who claims to be a serious biker, yet can barely manage 10 miles in a park setting.

dgregory57 said:

Excellent post. Wearing a team jersey does not mean that you think you are an elite rider , but one that supports that team as a fan. Cycling is like many sports and we have the ones who think they are elite. And they consider anyone who is not as strong as they are to be poser's..... These are the same guys who do not acknowledge other riders when out on the road......
And so what if someone buys an expensive bike if they can afford it.... A bicycle is not something earned by putting in long miles. A "actual yellow jersey" is something earned.....
I have been involved in cycling for over 35 years. I have been in groups of riders that have ranged from a TDF winner to groups of total Freds.... They all have something to offer. And we must remember something ..... It's the Freds that make the TDF possible with their monetary support, not the TDF riders that make cycling available to the Freds...