Powertap setup question

RedJuliette

May 25, 2016
So I ordered the powertap on a prebuilt wheel and a powertap joule computer that some posters kindly suggested. I got it from a respected outfit called wheel builder.

I have it here and even managed to pull off the cassette from my old wheel, put it on the new PT wheel along with a fresh tub and tire. I'm a novice rider but I put it all together after watching a few videos on Youtube on how to replace a cassette, etc.

Unfortunately the computer doesn't seem to turn on at all. I've pressed every button, i have pulled the battery (a round cr2032 one), and still nothing happens. I even plugged it in via USB to my pc and it just lists the powertap version (joule 18.057 Boot B2).

Any suggestions or thoughts?

I have already tried a known good CR2032 battery on the unit and it doesn't wake up or do anything regardless of what buttons I push.

Any other ideas? Do I have to do anything else with the hub and wheel?

I have checked on youtube and the saris/powertap site but there's no help and it seems the computer should turn on by pushing any button. I would call the company that sold it to me and/or powertap directly but of course the wheel just arrived tonight and those shops are closed until monday.

I was super excited to get my first ride with power in this weekend but that looks in doubt :(

Last edited:
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to ask - the joule computer doesn't seem to work. Any chance I could use my Android device with an app to display power? If yes, then would you have any suggestions on how or which? I would be riding on a stationary liquid trainer from the kurt kinetic products.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to ask - the joule computer doesn't seem to work. Any chance I could use my Android device with an app to display power? If yes, then would you have any suggestions on how or which? I would be riding on a stationary liquid trainer from the kurt kinetic products.

DOwnloaded wahoo fitness app, ant+, ant+ plugins, enabled bluetooth & wifi, i can see the powertap hub is on my list and it pairs with my phone but the Wahoo app doesn't seem to see it :(

Is it new? return it I have one for sale. Brand new warranty replacement. I use a Garmin now.

Hey there! It sounds like you're looking to sell a brand new warranty replacement. That's awesome! If anyone is in need of one, they should definitely reach out to you. As for me, I've been using Garmin for a while now and I find it really reliable, especially when it comes to tracking speed. Have you noticed any significant differences between the one you're selling and the Garmin? Just curious to see if it's worth considering for future upgrades. Thanks!

Sounds like you've made good progress with the setup, but hitting a snag with the computer. Have you tried charging it fully and checking the battery? Sometimes a simple reset can do the trick. Don't get discouraged, you've already accomplished a lot! Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get it working in no time.

Have you tried doing a full charge on your computer and checking the battery? Sometimes a simple reset can do wonders. It's frustrating, but don't give up! You've made great progress with the setup already. When troubleshooting, it might be helpful to check for any software updates or try a different power source. With perseverance, I'm confident you'll get it up and running smoothly soon. Keep pedaling! ‍♂️

Have you tried fully charging your computer and checking the battery? Sometimes a complete reset can work wonders. It can be frustrating, but don't give up! You've already made great progress with the setup. When troubleshooting, it might be worth checking for any software updates or trying a different power source. With perseverance, I'm confident you'll get it up and running smoothly soon. Keep pushing those pedals! ‍♂️

In addition to the suggestions you've received, another potential solution could be to check the power settings on your computer. Sometimes, certain power-saving modes can affect the performance of the battery. Adjusting these settings might help improve the overall battery life.

Another tip is to ensure that you're using the correct charger for your computer. Using a charger with a lower wattage can result in slower charging times and potentially affect the battery's performance. Make sure you're using the charger that came with your computer or a compatible one.

If you're still experiencing issues, it could be worth considering a battery replacement. Over time, batteries can degrade and lose their capacity, leading to shorter battery life. Contacting the manufacturer or a certified technician can provide you with more information and assistance in this regard.

Remember, troubleshooting computer issues can be a bit of a ride, but with patience and perseverance, you'll overcome any obstacles. Keep exploring different solutions, and don't hesitate to reach out for help if needed. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

Rather than pushing those pedals, have you tried checking the power settings on your computer? It's possible that some power-saving modes could be affecting the battery's performance. As for the charger, ensure it's the correct one – a lower wattage one might lead to slower charging times and potential issues.

If you've tried all that, it might be time to consider a battery replacement. Over time, batteries can degrade and lose their capacity. Reach out to the manufacturer or a certified technician for more information.

Remember, troubleshooting computer issues can be an uphill battle, but with patience and persistence, you'll reach the finish line. Keep trying different solutions, and don't hesitate to seek help if needed. Happy cycling!

It sounds like you've done a great job assembling your new wheel and PowerTap system! However, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the computer. Have you checked to make sure the battery is properly installed and charged? Sometimes, even with a fresh battery, it can take a few moments for the computer to turn on. If you're still having trouble, you may want to contact the manufacturer or the retailer for troubleshooting assistance. It's also possible that there could be an issue with the computer itself, so it's good to get it checked out as soon as possible. Do you have any other cycling computers or devices that you could use to compare and see if the issue is specific to the PowerTap Joule?

Ah, the classic "check the battery" move. As if that's the solution to every electronic device's woes. But hey, maybe this time it'll work like a charm . If not, I guess it's time to channel your inner tech support and reach out to the higher powers of PowerTap. Or better yet, why not try the age-old method of crossing your fingers and hoping the problem miraculously disappears? After all, what could possibly go wrong? ‍♀️. Oh, and don't forget to compare it with other cycling computers, just in case your PowerTap is secretly plotting against you. Good luck, soldier! ‍♀️.