Problems Cyclists Face

Kartikeya

Aug 26, 2015
Hello everyone

I am a high school student currently researching into problems cyclist face. I am designing a solution for which i need to collect data. I request you all to please take a small amount of time from you busy days and complete my survey as it will help my research a lot. Thank you for your time. To complete the survey please follow the link
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/66PHXG6

Unfortunately the link to the study that you have posted doesn't work. However I think we should still have a discussion about it and hopefully that would help you out a lot. One thing that I would comment on is the fact that other users of the road don't feel as though we are equal to them, and as such don't take as much care as I think they probably should. It is unsafe, and this isn't helped by the fact that there are still a shocking number of cyclists who don't bother to wear their helmets! These are definitely two cycling problems that you should think about in your study.

Reactions: BobCochran
I know that survey is structured and there are some tick boxes that need to be filled as much as I want to participate it would be helpful if you make a new survey. Right now it says Oh bananas we can not find the page you requested. It would be hard to collect the data if we reply here right? Next time check first the link if it works to save time.

I would say the biggest issue is sharing the road. Not all roads are made with bike lanes or wide shoulder space that can double as a bike lane. Some drivers do not want to share the road with cyclists and drive accordingly, which can be really scary if you get passed by a fast car who gets closer than you like.

DancingLady said:
I would say the biggest issue is sharing the road. Not all roads are made with bike lanes or wide shoulder space that can double as a bike lane. Some drivers do not want to share the road with cyclists and drive accordingly, which can be really scary if you get passed by a fast car who gets closer than you like.
That's also the main problem here - the roads are not designed for 2-wheeled vehicles. Particularly the big trucks and the public buses with their reckless drivers, the riders are always at risk on the road. Biking on any road would be ideal if there would be a bike lane to avoid accidents from unnecessary collision with other vehicles on the road. So I'd say the accident is the biggest issue.

Reactions: BobCochran
I agree with DancingLady and Corzhens. I have had some very difficult experiences with motor vehicle operators who feel they own the road.

Poor quality roads are an issue, too. Many of the roads in my Maryland county (that is a geographic area with its own political leadership and public works funding) are crumbling and sorely in need of replacement.

There is no provision for cyclists on some roads and one has to share space with other motorists on the road. This can be quite a challenge especially for a new cyclist.

The biggest problems come predominantly from other road users, especially motor vehicle drivers. They care little for the safety of cyclists, sometimes even bikers too. I think I've lost count of the times I've needed to swerve away from a potential collision with another vehicle, it's just insane. Pedestrians that are either drunk or are not attentive when crossing the roads also present another hazard.

I personally think that cyclist have 2 big problems, pedestrians unaware of their surroundings and cars not seeing us. Poor roads a problem too, but I feel like the two I mentioned are critical and could have fatal results.

I have to agree with the posters above, I think the main problem is that cyclists are allowed to share the road with traffic, but are not often given many of the rights of safety protocols that protect people who commute by motor vehicle.

I also find it annoying that there seems to have been such a push lately to encourage carpooling, using public transportation, and commuting by bike, but most cities still don't have designated bike lanes. The bike lanes that do exist often start and stop with no warning and leave you stranded fighting real traffic and drivers who feel that they don't have to share the road.

The biggest problems with riding on roads are dealing with motorists who like to mess with cyclists. Riding in urban areas the problem is somewhat the same but then you also have to contend with pedestrians who like to mess with you, like stepping out in front of you on purpose or even worse, trying to push you off as you pass.

Gemma has a real solid point. We face inequalities on the road. At any point in time we can be run over by any motorist who thinks us to be inferior. After all, the are the ones with the bigger transport and thus the overconfidence to drive anyhow, around any cyclist.

I'd also like to add drain covers on to the list, or lack of them thanks to people taking them to profit from the metal, leaving quite a big hole that will send you off if you hit it.

Riding over them is not to bad as long as you go over the grated ones side on from the grooves.