Profile Design Airstryke Aerobar for longer rides?

rwinthenorth

Aug 27, 2006
Just curious, I will be riding further this spring (no triaths.) maybe 50 -75 mile rides, and wondered if any of you who ride for fitness recommend these for comfort over the long haul. Or is it better to keep clutter down and just get off and stretch out the upper body and continue on. Thanks

rwinthenorth said:
Just curious, I will be riding further this spring (no triaths.) maybe 50 -75 mile rides, and wondered if any of you who ride for fitness recommend these for comfort over the long haul. Or is it better to keep clutter down and just get off and stretch out the upper body and continue on. Thanks
Having aerobars gives you another position to sit in, so you can swap around more which is generally more comfortable, especially if you set up the aerobars for comfort and not just speed.

I went 93 miles on mostly flat with some rolling hills and used the aerobars alot. On my last long ride it was 112 miles of hills and I was glad I left them at home there was really no place to use them and when you're swaying the bike out of the saddle or just want to grip the tops in different positions on long climbs they are a little awkward.

rwinthenorth said:

rwinthenorth said:
SNIP...wondered if any of you who ride for fitness recommend these ...SNIP...Or is it better to keep clutter down and just get off and stretch ...SNIP
I actually bought a cheap-o "century" style (from Pryamid ($25)) a month ago for my Trek 7700 hybrid, and didn't expect much. However, I do use them riding into the wind a lot (no traffic), and occasionally for another position. I even gain a couple of MPH. I wouldn't say they were super-comfortable for sustained position, probably due to the geometry of the hybrid and the gut I'm still working off, but I recommend them. Of the 400 miles I've done over the last month I probably only used them 20, if that, but it was nice to have them into the wind. Maybe they'll get more comfortable with time.

BTW, the cheap-o Pyramid century style has clunky forearm rests that may put you off. I weigh 250# with most of it up top and have no problem with comfort, however. A more expensive aerobar would have better pads of course, and I'd pay for them if they would fit my longhorn style hybrid bars.