Quick poll on journey preference

Sky Fly

Guest
Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of 10km. Both
places are at sea level. You have a choice of four routes:

Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
rest of the journey.

Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
the journey.

Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
downwards for the rest of the journey.

Route 4 - flat all the way through.

Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
same. Which route would you pick?

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:29:46 +0100, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
>10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
>of four routes:
>
>Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
>kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
>rest of the journey.
>
>Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
>and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
>the journey.
>
>Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
>downwards for the rest of the journey.
>
>Route 4 - flat all the way through.
>
>Which route would you pick?

2 if I wanted a workout, 4 if I was feeling lazy.

However I normally seem to pick the ones that go down at
first and then go up at the end.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

Sky Fly wrote:

> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.
>
> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.
>
> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
>
> Route 4 - flat all the way through.
>
> Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
> wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
> same. Which route would you pick?

Variety being the spice of life, all of them. But I wouldn't
pick 4 very often.

Variety being the spice of life, please ignore my reply,

AC

> --
> Akin
>
> aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:41:03 +0100, in
<[email protected]>, anonymous coward
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sky Fly wrote:
>
>> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of 10km.
>> Both places are at sea level. You have a choice of four
>> routes:
>>
>> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
>> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
>> rest of the journey.
>>
>> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
>> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
>> journey.
>>
>> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
>> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
>>
>> Route 4 - flat all the way through.
>>
>> Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns,
>> scenery, wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are
>> all the same. Which route would you pick?

1 to get there. 2 to get back.

--
[email protected] Personal Site: www.artybee.net (same
****, different layout) Sutton Brass :

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.
>
> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.
>
> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
>
> Route 4 - flat all the way through.
>
> Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
> wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
> same. Which route would you pick?

For my commute, the one that was flat - I'd expect it to be
the quickest!

Rich

Sky Fly wrote:

> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.
>
> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.
>
> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
>
> Route 4 - flat all the way through.
>
> Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
> wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
> same. Which route would you pick?

2, because I like screaming downhill.

in message <[email protected]>, Sky Fly
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.

A fall of eleven metres in the kilometre is neither here nor
there. This route makes no sense. If we're talking
singletrack, it might be fun, but it doesn't make sense.

> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.

Woo-hoo! Again, a rise of eleven metres in the kilometre is
scarcely noticable, but a fall of a hundred metres in a
kilometer can be fun. If all routes were singletrack and I
had a hill bike, this would be the one to choose.

> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.

Neither here not there. A bit slower than dead flat, but not
enough gradient to have any fun with.

> Route 4 - flat all the way through.

This is the one to choose for efficiency, and is the one I'd
choose if all routes were high quality tarmac and I had a
road bike.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now
it's getting me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97
-- you know, the one that comes in a flash new box and
within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

In message <[email protected]>,
Sky Fly <[email protected]> writes
>Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
>10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
>of four routes:
>
>Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
>kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
>rest of the journey.

I like.

>Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
>and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
>the journey.

No - the worst for me.

>Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
>downwards for the rest of the journey.

No

>Route 4 - flat all the way through.

Ok.

>Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
>wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
>same. Which route would you pick?

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country; to
spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing
country." Ram Dass

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> >Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns,
> >scenery, wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are
> >all the same. Which route would you pick?

The bus route. :)

--
Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during

>For my commute, the one that was flat - I'd expect it to be
>the quickest!
>
>Rich

Can I have a route that is downhill there and back please?

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

> in message <[email protected]>,
> Richard Bates ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:41:03 +0100, in
> > <[email protected]>, anonymous coward
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > 1 to get there. 2 to get back.
>
> I think that's the worst choice. Two severe climbs
> followed by virtually flat roads - a fall of 1%, which
> isn't enough to notice.

Actually, this would be *my* route of choice as well. Get
all the hard work out of the way while you're feeling fresh,
and then enjoy the fruits of your labour over drawn out
period. I think 1% *is* noticeable - certainly, I find that
cycling down this gradient on some of my regular routes
means noticeably less work for me.

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in news:c4k0vj$2jir4o$1@ID-
18325.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.

(Does a quick gradient calculation ...) Could cope with
that. Short & steep.

> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.

Nooo. I don't like long rises. It doesn't look uphill but
your legs tell you it is. Descent could be fun though.
Unlike a few weeks back when I discovered I *really*,
**REALLY**, seriously needed new brake blocks.

> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.

This one could be my second choice behind route 1.

> Route 4 - flat all the way through.

Quiet scenic roads, maybe. Otherwise, too boring.

> Can I have a route that is downhill there and back please?

I always thought they should build a big downhill ramp from
Land's End to John O'Groats, and vice-versa. With a lift at
either end :)

> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.

This sounds a bit like a route I do quite often, except that
the first uphill bit is more like 2km and is somewhat
steeper - closer to 15%. I like
it. The first bit is difficult enough to be interesting, the
rest is gentle but not boring and though it's not much
of a slope it does increase your overall average speed
noticeably.

> Route 4 - flat all the way through.

Boring.

j.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> writes:
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.

That's a profile I like. A short sharp uphill is fine (and
100m over 1km isn't really even sharp), and just-off-flat
makes a huge difference to how easy it is to pedal as-if on
the flat over most of the distance.

Contrast gentle uphill. One of the most gruelling
experiences of my life was the ride up from Cairns
(australia) to the tropical tablelands above it. A total
height gain between 800 and 900 metres, over a 19Km stretch
of road was quite a killer. Though perhaps that was in part
due to the tropical heat (which was a first time for me) and
a hired bike where I couldn't use the middle chainring.

More prosaically, from central Plymouth to the edge of
Dartmoor is about 200m height over maybe 10km through the
straggling northern suburbs. Southwards it is quick&easy,
while northwards is a slog.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<406d9e23.0@entanet>...

> 2, because I like screaming downhill.

Agreed. 2 every time. :)

--
Dave...

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>
>> Can I have a route that is downhill there and back
>> please?
>
> I always thought they should build a big downhill ramp
> from Land's End to John O'Groats, and vice-versa. With a
> lift at either end :)

I've often wondered if it would be possible to build long
tubes about 10 foot in diameter with a clever
arrangements of ducts and scoops at each end to ensure
that the wind inside always flowed in the direction you
wanted to go. You'd need another one for traffic going
the other way of course.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Sky Fly wrote:
> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
> 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
> of four routes:
>
> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
> rest of the journey.
>
> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
> journey.
>
> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
>
> Route 4 - flat all the way through.

One of 1 through 4 according to how I felt when I set
out, which could be different. Or possibly Route 5,
which is 100km and has a rather major dog-leg, if I'm
not in a hurry...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

http://www.biketrans.com

--
Dave...