Quick poll on journey preference

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sky Fly, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of 10km. Both
    places are at sea level. You have a choice of four routes:

    Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    rest of the journey.

    Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
    and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
    the journey.

    Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
    downwards for the rest of the journey.

    Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
    wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
    same. Which route would you pick?

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Tags:

  2. Bens

    Bens Guest

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:29:46 +0100, "Sky Fly" <nobody@blackhole.com>
    wrote:

    >Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    >10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    >of four routes:
    >
    >Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    >kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    >rest of the journey.
    >
    >Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
    >and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
    >the journey.
    >
    >Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
    >downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >
    >Route 4 - flat all the way through.
    >
    >Which route would you pick?

    2 if I wanted a workout, 4 if I was feeling lazy.

    However I normally seem to pick the ones that go down at
    first and then go up at the end.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to
    prevent life escaping from us." http://www.bensales.com

  3. Sky Fly wrote:

    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.
    >
    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.
    >
    > Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
    > wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
    > same. Which route would you pick?

    Variety being the spice of life, all of them. But I wouldn't
    pick 4 very often.

    Variety being the spice of life, please ignore my reply,

    AC

    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  4. On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:41:03 +0100, in
    <c4k1jr$1rc$1@ucsnew1.ncl.ac.uk>, anonymous coward
    <anonymous.coward@nospam.nowhere> wrote:

    >Sky Fly wrote:
    >
    >> Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of 10km.
    >> Both places are at sea level. You have a choice of four
    >> routes:
    >>
    >> Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    >> kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    >> rest of the journey.
    >>
    >> Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    >> thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    >> journey.
    >>
    >> Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    >> slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >>
    >> Route 4 - flat all the way through.
    >>
    >> Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns,
    >> scenery, wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are
    >> all the same. Which route would you pick?

    1 to get there. 2 to get back.

    --
    usenet01@artybee.net Personal Site: www.artybee.net (same
    crap, different layout) Sutton Brass :

  5. "Sky Fly" <nobody@blackhole.com> wrote in message
    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.
    >
    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.
    >
    > Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
    > wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
    > same. Which route would you pick?

    For my commute, the one that was flat - I'd expect it to be
    the quickest!

    Rich

  6. Sky Fly wrote:

    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.
    >
    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.
    >
    > Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
    > wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
    > same. Which route would you pick?

    2, because I like screaming downhill.

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <c4k0vj$2jir4o$1@ID-18325.news.uni-berlin.de>, Sky Fly
    ('nobody@blackhole.com') wrote:

    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.

    A fall of eleven metres in the kilometre is neither here nor
    there. This route makes no sense. If we're talking
    singletrack, it might be fun, but it doesn't make sense.

    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.

    Woo-hoo! Again, a rise of eleven metres in the kilometre is
    scarcely noticable, but a fall of a hundred metres in a
    kilometer can be fun. If all routes were singletrack and I
    had a hill bike, this would be the one to choose.

    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.

    Neither here not there. A bit slower than dead flat, but not
    enough gradient to have any fun with.

    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    This is the one to choose for efficiency, and is the one I'd
    choose if all routes were high quality tarmac and I had a
    road bike.

    --
    simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now
    it's getting me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97
    -- you know, the one that comes in a flash new box and
    within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

  8. In message <c4k0vj$2jir4o$1@ID-18325.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Sky Fly <nobody@blackhole.com> writes
    >Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    >10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    >of four routes:
    >
    >Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    >kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    >rest of the journey.

    I like.

    >Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km,
    >and thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of
    >the journey.

    No - the worst for me.

    >Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and slopes
    >downwards for the rest of the journey.

    No

    >Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    Ok.

    >Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns, scenery,
    >wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are all the
    >same. Which route would you pick?

    --
    dave @ stejonda

    "To materialist eyes, India is a developing country; to
    spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing
    country." Ram Dass

  9. Msa

    Msa Guest

    In article <m8imTACF5abAFAUg@stejonda.freeuk.com>,
    NoSpamThanks@stejonda.freeuk.com says...
    > >Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns,
    > >scenery, wind, <insert name of journey variable here> are
    > >all the same. Which route would you pick?

    The bus route. :)

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
    volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during

  10. >For my commute, the one that was flat - I'd expect it to be
    >the quickest!
    >
    >Rich

    Can I have a route that is downhill there and back please?

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune
    h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  11. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    > in message <633r609911qkfh1ugv0gtf97smiu9mtp7a@4ax.com>,
    > Richard Bates ('usenet01@artybee.net') wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:41:03 +0100, in
    > > <c4k1jr$1rc$1@ucsnew1.ncl.ac.uk>, anonymous coward
    > > <anonymous.coward@nospam.nowhere> wrote:

    > > 1 to get there. 2 to get back.
    >
    > I think that's the worst choice. Two severe climbs
    > followed by virtually flat roads - a fall of 1%, which
    > isn't enough to notice.

    Actually, this would be *my* route of choice as well. Get
    all the hard work out of the way while you're feeling fresh,
    and then enjoy the fruits of your labour over drawn out
    period. I think 1% *is* noticeable - certainly, I find that
    cycling down this gradient on some of my regular routes
    means noticeably less work for me.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  12. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    "Sky Fly" <nobody@blackhole.com> wrote in news:c4k0vj$2jir4o$1@ID-
    18325.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.

    (Does a quick gradient calculation ...) Could cope with
    that. Short & steep.

    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.

    Nooo. I don't like long rises. It doesn't look uphill but
    your legs tell you it is. Descent could be fun though.
    Unlike a few weeks back when I discovered I *really*,
    **REALLY**, seriously needed new brake blocks.

    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.

    This one could be my second choice behind route 1.

    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    Quiet scenic roads, maybe. Otherwise, too boring.

  13. dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

    > Can I have a route that is downhill there and back please?

    I always thought they should build a big downhill ramp from
    Land's End to John O'Groats, and vice-versa. With a lift at
    either end :)

  14. Davek

    Davek Guest

    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.

    This sounds a bit like a route I do quite often, except that
    the first uphill bit is more like 2km and is somewhat
    steeper - closer to 15%. I like
    it. The first bit is difficult enough to be interesting, the
    rest is gentle but not boring and though it's not much
    of a slope it does increase your overall average speed
    noticeably.

    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    Boring.

    j.

  15. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <c4k0vj$2jir4o$1@id-18325.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    "Sky Fly" <nobody@blackhole.com> writes:
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.

    That's a profile I like. A short sharp uphill is fine (and
    100m over 1km isn't really even sharp), and just-off-flat
    makes a huge difference to how easy it is to pedal as-if on
    the flat over most of the distance.

    Contrast gentle uphill. One of the most gruelling
    experiences of my life was the ride up from Cairns
    (australia) to the tropical tablelands above it. A total
    height gain between 800 and 900 metres, over a 19Km stretch
    of road was quite a killer. Though perhaps that was in part
    due to the tropical heat (which was a first time for me) and
    a hired bike where I couldn't use the middle chainring.

    More prosaically, from central Plymouth to the edge of
    Dartmoor is about 200m height over maybe 10km through the
    straggling northern suburbs. Southwards it is quick&easy,
    while northwards is a slog.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<406d9e23.0@entanet>...

    > 2, because I like screaming downhill.

    Agreed. 2 every time. :)

    --
    Dave...

  17. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    MSA <onyerbikemark@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<MPG.1ad7c9797aa1ed359896f5@News.Individual.NET>...
    > In article <m8imTACF5abAFAUg@stejonda.freeuk.com>,
    > NoSpamThanks@stejonda.freeuk.com says...
    > > >Assume road surface, numbers of twists and turns,
    > > >scenery, wind, <insert name of journey variable here>
    > > >are all the same. Which route would you pick?

    3 ;-)

  18. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >
    >> Can I have a route that is downhill there and back
    >> please?
    >
    > I always thought they should build a big downhill ramp
    > from Land's End to John O'Groats, and vice-versa. With a
    > lift at either end :)

    I've often wondered if it would be possible to build long
    tubes about 10 foot in diameter with a clever
    arrangements of ducts and scoops at each end to ensure
    that the wind inside always flowed in the direction you
    wanted to go. You'd need another one for traffic going
    the other way of course.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  19. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Sky Fly wrote:
    > Say you have to get from Aye to Bee, a distance of
    > 10km. Both places are at sea level. You have a choice
    > of four routes:
    >
    > Route 1 - rises steeply to 100m asl for the first
    > kilometre, and thereafter slopes gently downwards for the
    > rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 2 - rises gently to 100m asl for the first 9km, and
    > thereafter slopes steeply downwards for the rest of the
    > journey.
    >
    > Route 3 - rises to 100m for half of the journey, and
    > slopes downwards for the rest of the journey.
    >
    > Route 4 - flat all the way through.

    One of 1 through 4 according to how I felt when I set
    out, which could be different. Or possibly Route 5,
    which is 100km and has a rather major dog-leg, if I'm
    not in a hurry...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  20. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    http://www.biketrans.com

    --