quill/a-head frames

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Panda, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Panda

    Panda Guest

    are frames made differently in order to take the different style forks?

    the reason i ask is that i was planning to buy a cheap frame to use as a commute bike, but i already
    have some nice-ish rigid steel forks that can go on my a-head mtb, and i have a full spare headset
    to go with it. so i was thinking of putting those forks with the frame in order to get a-head
    advantages. so is this possible?

    thanks

    panda

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    panda wrote:
    > are frames made differently in order to take the different style forks?

    No, the same frames can take either threaded (for quill) or threadless (ahead) forks. Forks come in
    different sizes, though: steerer diameters and lengths. The two most common diameters for forks and
    headsets are 1" and 1 1/8".

    > the reason i ask is that i was planning to buy a cheap frame to use as a commute bike, but i
    > already have some nice-ish rigid steel forks that can go on my a-head mtb, and i have a full spare
    > headset to go with it. so i was thinking of putting those forks with the frame in order to get
    > a-head advantages. so is this possible?

    It is if the frame takes the same diameter forks and the fork steerer (tube at the top) is
    long enough.

    ~PB

  3. "panda" <sam.bixby@archbishopthurstan.hull.sch.net> wrote in message
    > are frames made differently in order to take the different style forks?

    Apart from those that use integrated headset systems (e.g. Vitus 992), no. Ahead and threaded
    headsets designed for the same diameter of steerer will work equally well in the same head tube.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. Panda

    Panda Guest

    cheers all, i knew i should ask, and i had forgotten about 1" and 1 1/8" standards!

    thanks

    panda

    "panda" <sam.bixby@archbishopthurstan.hull.sch.net> wrote in message
    > are frames made differently in order to take the different style forks?
    >
    > the reason i ask is that i was planning to buy a cheap frame to use as a commute bike, but i
    > already have some nice-ish rigid steel forks that can
    go
    > on my a-head mtb, and i have a full spare headset to go with it. so i was thinking of putting
    > those forks with the frame in order to get a-head advantages. so is this possible?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > panda

Share This Page