Race report - Concorde 10K

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by paul, May 17, 2004.

  1. paul

    paul Guest

    Following up from some recent posts on vo2 testing and my
    aim for a sub-20 5k, I followed the advice of doing a 10k
    check race to see whether my goal was too lofty. My 25
    April half-marathon time was 1:42, but I estimated that I
    was really a 1:39'er at the moment. My aim for the 10k was
    to aim for around 44 minutes, to see if I was in any hope
    for the 5k.

    Venue was the British Airways Concorde club Concorde 10K at
    Cranford park (near Heathrow). Unfortunately the weather
    forecast was for 24 degrees C, cloudy with sunny spells. The
    day started out sunny with some mid-level clouds looking to
    stop the day becoming too warm. At race-time, 10:30am, I
    estimated that the temperature was 20-22 degrees and decided
    to carry a water bottle with me.

    The course was pretty flat, with just a short incline from
    km 4 to 5 (IIRC), however the km markers didn't seem to be
    very accurate; there's absolutely no way I went from a 5:03
    8km to a 3:46 9km.

    On the first 6 km I aimed to keep at a low effort level, in
    order to leave something for the end. At 9km I gave it
    everything and passed 4 people in the last km. At the 200m
    from the end marker, there were 2 people in front of me, but
    I went into a sprint and probably cleared both of them by
    something like 20s in those last 200 metres. I felt on fire.
    My heart rate on crossing the line was 187, a new max.

    Splits:

    km time HR %MHR 1 4:33 152 75% 2 3:55 168 86% 3 4:26 168 86%
    4 4:28 168 86% 5 4:43 168 86% 6 3:46 170 88% 7 4:36 173 90%
    8 5:03 173 90% 9 3:46 174 91% 10 3:59 181 96%

    Finishing time 43:18. Av HR 169.

    According to the Oregon race predictor, I've now got about
    30s to cut off my predicted 5k time to beat 20m.

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. In article <slrncafjb0.21i.paul@strut.sbrk.co.uk>, paul@atom.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
    > Following up from some recent posts on vo2 testing and my
    > aim for a sub-20 5k, I followed the advice of doing a 10k
    > check race to see whether my goal was too lofty. My 25
    > April half-marathon time was 1:42, but I estimated that I
    > was really a 1:39'er at the moment. My aim for the 10k was
    > to aim for around 44 minutes, to see if I was in any hope
    > for the 5k.

    [snip]

    Not bad. Based on that time, I'd project your 5k to about
    20:50. Because of your relatively untrained state, and the
    slightly warm conditions, the projection is conservative -
    you may actually be capable of about 20:30 right now. Stick
    with the training and see how it goes.

    Cheers,

  3. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <abuse@aol.com> wrote in

    > In article <slrncafjb0.21i.paul@strut.sbrk.co.uk>,
    > paul@atom.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
    >> Following up from some recent posts on vo2 testing and my
    >> aim for a sub-20 5k, I followed the advice of doing a 10k
    >> check race to see whether my goal was too lofty. My 25
    >> April half-marathon time was 1:42, but I estimated that I
    >> was really a 1:39'er at the moment. My aim for the 10k
    >> was to aim for around 44 minutes, to see if I was in any
    >> hope for the 5k.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Not bad. Based on that time, I'd project your 5k to about
    > 20:50. Because of your relatively untrained state, and the
    > slightly warm conditions, the projection is conservative -
    > you may actually be capable of about 20:30 right now.
    > Stick with the training and see how it goes.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Hmm. I just did my first 5k in 20:42 today but I would
    probably do a 10k in over 46. I was also hoping for a sub 20
    but I've missed about half of my speed workouts in the last
    month because it's been just too darn cold. Personally, I
    would hope if you can do a sub 44 10k a sub 20 5k should be
    a breeze.... Best of luck.

  4. paul

    paul Guest

    In article <slrncafln1.jj1.abuse@panix2.panix.com>, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
    > In article <slrncafjb0.21i.paul@strut.sbrk.co.uk>,
    > paul@atom.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
    >> Following up from some recent posts on vo2 testing and my
    >> aim for a sub-20 5k, I followed the advice of doing a 10k
    >> check race to see whether my goal was too lofty. My 25
    >> April half-marathon time was 1:42, but I estimated that I
    >> was really a 1:39'er at the moment. My aim for the 10k
    >> was to aim for around 44 minutes, to see if I was in any
    >> hope for the 5k.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Not bad. Based on that time, I'd project your 5k to about
    > 20:50. Because of your relatively untrained state, and the
    > slightly warm conditions, the projection is conservative -
    > you may actually be capable of about 20:30 right now.
    > Stick with the training and see how it goes.

    Cheers, looking forward to it. According to a WAVA chart, my
    half marathon 3 weeks ago was 59% and this 10k 64%. I need
    to get to 67% for the 5k in 5 weeks. Should be a snip at
    1.5% per week :)

    Paul

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Mike L <michaellazenby@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Donovan Rebbechi <abuse@aol.com> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <slrncafjb0.21i.paul@strut.sbrk.co.uk>,
    >> paul@atom.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
    >>> Following up from some recent posts on vo2 testing and
    >>> my aim for a sub-20 5k, I followed the advice of doing a
    >>> 10k check race to see whether my goal was too lofty. My
    >>> 25 April half-marathon time was 1:42, but I estimated
    >>> that I was really a 1:39'er at the moment. My aim for
    >>> the 10k was to aim for around 44 minutes, to see if I
    >>> was in any hope for the 5k.
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Not bad. Based on that time, I'd project your 5k to about
    >> 20:50. Because of your relatively untrained state, and
    >> the slightly warm conditions, the projection is
    >> conservative - you may actually be capable of about 20:30
    >> right now. Stick with the training and see how it goes.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >
    > Hmm. I just did my first 5k in 20:42 today but I would
    > probably do a 10k in over 46. I was also hoping for a sub
    > 20 but I've missed about half of my speed workouts in the
    > last month because it's been just too darn cold.
    > Personally, I would hope if you can do a sub 44 10k a sub
    > 20 5k should be a breeze.... Best of luck.

    All things being equal (which they never are), a 20:42 5k
    equates to a
    43:00 10k. Why do you think you could do no better than
    46:00? Adding more tempo runs and long runs should get
    you to 43:00.

    Phil M.

    --
    "Get outta here. You're killin' me."

  6. In article <Xns94EBB1FA28403MikeL@207.35.177.134>, Mike L wrote:

    > Hmm. I just did my first 5k in 20:42 today but I would
    > probably do a 10k in over 46.

    If you're reasonably well trained for distance, you should
    be able to run a 10k in about 43:00. In particular, if you
    trained at 30mpw with some LT-specific speed work (tempo
    runs or intervals at about 7:30 pace) for 12 weeks or so, I
    think you could do 10k in well under 43 minutes.

    If you're relatively untrained, your 10k will be weaker than
    your 5k, but when you are on a reasonable endurance training
    program, your best-case performances from 5k up to the half-
    marathon will probably match up pretty well (and probably
    the best-case marathon for those who are fortunate enough to
    ever experience such a thing).

    > Personally, I would hope if you can do a sub 44 10k a sub
    > 20 5k should be a breeze....

    See the WAVA tables or any other prediction chart -- a sub
    44 10k is much easier to train for than a 20 minute 5k.

    Cheers,

  7. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Nice race and report.

    Good luck on the road to sub-20 - obviously the course and
    weather conditions can play a part in reaching that goal...

    Anthony.

  8. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Nice race and report.

    Good luck on the road to sub-20 - obviously the course and
    weather conditions can play a part in reaching that goal...

    Anthony.

Share This Page