Re: AHA on margarine

MMu

Guest
"Enrico C" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...

> I don't understand why on earth the American Heart Association web site
> recommends:
>
> "Use margarine as a substitute for butter...".
>
> even if
>
> "In clinical studies, trans fatty acids or hydrogenated fats tend to raise
> total blood cholesterol levels and LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lower HDL
> ("good") cholesterol when used instead of cis fatty acids or natural oils.
> These changes may increase the risk of heart disease."

you you aware that butter contains trans fats as well?

> Why don't they just recommend olive oil instead of butter (in most cases)?

because olive oil and honey doesn't go so well on your breakfast bread.

> [...]
> type
> of fatty acid predominates.
>
> * Saturated fatty acids have all the hydrogen the carbon atoms can
> hold. Saturated fats are usually solid at room temperature, and they're
> more stable -- that is, they don't combine readily with oxygen and turn
> rancid. Saturated fatty acids raise blood cholesterol, which raises the
> risk of coronary heart disease and stroke.
>
> * Monounsaturated fatty acids have only one unsaturated bond.
> Monounsaturated oils are liquid at room temperature but start to solidify
> at refrigerator temperatures. For example, salad dressing containing olive
> oil turns cloudy when refrigerated but is clear at room temperature.
> Monounsaturated fatty acids seem to lower blood cholesterol when
> substituted for saturated fats.
>
> * Polyunsaturated fatty acids have more than one unsaturated bond.
> Polyunsaturated oils, which contain mostly polyunsaturated fatty acids,
> are
> liquid at room temperature and in the refrigerator. They easily combine
> with oxygen in the air to become rancid. Polyunsaturated fatty acids help
> lower total blood cholesterol when substituted for saturated fats.
>
> In addition, dietary cholesterol found in animal fats also raises total
> blood cholesterol and LDL ("bad") cholesterol.
>
> What are trans fatty acids and where do they come from?
>
> A fatty acid molecule consists of a chain of carbon atoms in carbon-carbon
> double bonds with hydrogen atoms "attached." In nature most unsaturated
> fatty acids are cis fatty acids. This means that the hydrogen atoms are on
> the same side of the double carbon bond. In trans fatty acids the two
> hydrogen atoms are on opposite sides of the double bond.
>
> Trans double bonds can occur in nature as the result of fermentation in
> grazing animals. People eat them in the form of meat and dairy products.
>
> Trans double bonds are also formed during the hydrogenation
> (hi"dro-jen-A'shun or hi-DROJ'en-a"shun) of either vegetable or fish oils.
> French fries, donuts, cookies, chips and other snack foods are high in
> trans fatty acids. In fact, nearly all fried or baked goods have some
> trans
> fats.
>
> How does hydrogenation create trans fatty acids?
>
> To help foods stay fresh on the shelf or to get a solid fat product, such
> as margarine, food manufacturers hydrogenate polyunsaturated oils.
> Hydrogenate means to add hydrogen.
>
> How are trans fatty acids harmful?
>
> In clinical studies, trans fatty acids or hydrogenated fats tend to raise
> total blood cholesterol levels and LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lower HDL
> ("good") cholesterol when used instead of cis fatty acids or natural oils.
> These changes may increase the risk of heart disease. It's not clear if
> trans fats that occur naturally have the same effect on cholesterol and
> heart disease as those produced by hydrogenating vegetable oils.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:20:58 +0200, MMu wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on sci.med.nutrition :

>> Why don't they just recommend olive oil instead of butter (in most cases)?
>>

> because olive oil and honey doesn't go so well on your breakfast bread.

I know. :)
That's why I added "in most cases". I was just thinking of that.

I doubt spreads taste as good as butter though.
On bread, I prefer a smaller amount of the real thing, butter.
Then, I don't eat bread and butter everyday.

With all other foods, I use uncooked olive oil.

What strikes me is that AHA doesn't even mention olive oil.

And they don't mention nichel in margarines.

--
Enrico C
==================================

MMu wrote:
:: "Enrico C" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
:: news:[email protected]...

::: Why don't they just recommend olive oil instead of butter (in most
::: cases)?
:::
:: because olive oil and honey doesn't go so well on your breakfast
:: bread.

Actually it is a cultural thing - what you get used to. In most of the
Mediterranean countries people manages amazingly well even without margarine
or butter. They use mostly olive oil with bread.

--
Juhana

Enrico C <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:20:58 +0200, MMu wrote in
><news:[email protected]> on sci.med.nutrition :
>
>>> Why don't they just recommend olive oil instead of butter (in most cases)?
>>>

>> because olive oil and honey doesn't go so well on your breakfast bread.

>I know. :)
>That's why I added "in most cases". I was just thinking of that.
>
>I doubt spreads taste as good as butter though.
>On bread, I prefer a smaller amount of the real thing, butter.
>Then, I don't eat bread and butter everyday.
>
>With all other foods, I use uncooked olive oil.
>
>What strikes me is that AHA doesn't even mention olive oil.
>
>And they don't mention nichel in margarines.

Unbelievable commentary.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA [email protected]

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:46:07 GMT, Jim Chinnis wrote in
<news:[email protected]> on sci.med.nutrition :

[...snip...]
>>And they don't mention nichel in margarines.

> Unbelievable commentary.

Don't industries use nickel or other metals in fat hydrogenation?

--
Enrico C
==================================

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:20:58 +0200, "MMu" <[email protected]> wrote:

>you you aware that butter contains trans fats as well?

Are literature agreeing about CLA is very unhealthful (the transfat in
butter)

"Alf Christophersen" <[email protected]> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:20:58 +0200, "MMu" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>you you aware that butter contains trans fats as well?

> Are literature agreeing about CLA is very unhealthful (the transfat in
> butter)

is this a question whether CLA is a problem? your sentence is hard to
interpret but in any case:
cla is not the only trans fat in butter.