Re: Any food or herbs that really lower chol. ?

Marshall Price

Guest
And it's getting harder to find high-dosage niacin tablets. I used to
get half-gram tablets for under a penny apiece at Willner's; later I
bought them cheaply enough from Fedco (aka FDC), but the latter
discontinued them and seem to think that "anti-flush niacin"
(nicotinamide or inositol hexanicotinate) is just as good.

Not so. Humphrey Osmond, who discovered the effect (around 1955, I
think), still says it's got to be real niacin (nicotinic acid). I
suspect the flush itself is connected somehow to the effect.

I used *niacin*, *pyridoxine*, and *oat bran* to lower my LDL and raise
my HDL cholesterol levels greatly in one month, enough to amaze my
doctor, while evading a lifelong dependency on statins.

But the efficacy of these common supplements is well known. I still
can't understand why I had to bring them to my doctor's attention (he'd
heard of them already, and knew them to be effective) rather than the
other way around. It's hard to believe that he'd have put me on a
prescription just to make more money. But what other explanation is there?

That's not just a rhetorical question; I'd really like to know.

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c

Marshall Price wrote:
> And it's getting harder to find high-dosage niacin tablets. I used to
> get half-gram tablets for under a penny apiece at Willner's; later I
> bought them cheaply enough from Fedco (aka FDC), but the latter
> discontinued them and seem to think that "anti-flush niacin"
> (nicotinamide or inositol hexanicotinate) is just as good.
>
> But the efficacy of these common supplements is well known. I still
> can't understand why I had to bring them to my doctor's attention (he'd
> heard of them already, and knew them to be effective) rather than the
> other way around. It's hard to believe that he'd have put me on a
> prescription just to make more money. But what other explanation is there?
>
> That's not just a rhetorical question; I'd really like to know.

Its the power of training .. even pavlov himself got trained .
The doctors only know what they know.. go visit a university medical
library during examination prep .. thesy are all reading from the same
txts on the same shelves.. the only know what they know .

I just got some Niacin from Vitacost .. thought it was a good deal
although i almost doubled the price with postage to new zealand ..

I agree with the intuition that the skin flush *(release of histamines)
is a positive symptom of the niacin affecting the skin for a start ..

http://www.vitacost.com/NSIVitaminB3Niacin

Marshall Price wrote:

> Not so. Humphrey Osmond, who discovered the effect (around 1955, I
> think), still says it's got to be real niacin (nicotinic acid). I
> suspect the flush itself is connected somehow to the effect.

Anybody who cannot find IR niacin supplements is NOT trying very hard.
The flush free varieties are positively dangerous, although there is a
prescription form of it that is supposedly magically okay. Quite
frankly, I rather doubt it.

IR niacin is okay, but you certainly don't want to go over 1,500 mg a
day of the stuff unless you want to destroy your liver.

> I used *niacin*, *pyridoxine*, and *oat bran* to lower my LDL and raise
> my HDL cholesterol levels greatly in one month, enough to amaze my
> doctor, while evading a lifelong dependency on statins.

Who do you think that you are kidding? Yeah, cholesterol control is
just a game that you play with magic pills.

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

You have my condolences.

"seem to think that "anti-flush niacin" (nicotinamide or inositol
hexanicotinate) is just as good."

The former is known not to have the lipid effect and is not "flush free"
and in fact doesn't cause any flush at all. The latter does have the
lipid effect with some studies suggesting even more of the lipid control
effect. The latter is niacin, it is an ester combination which over time
reverts to the two elements leaving pure niacin. Because it takes time for
this to happen the "flush" is much less.