Reasonable source for HB-7400 cones?????

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. I hate to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

| I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
| I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
| wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. I hate
| to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...
|

| --
| daveornee

Dave: NOS (new old stock) stuff can get difficult to find, and prices can
sometimes skyrocket. We will often buy complete hubs and part them out when
we see closeouts. But if you're looking for something really inexpensive,
you might see if there's an Ultegra equivalent that could work. Don't
remember off-hand if that's the case (and I'm not at the shop). There may be
some Wheels of Boulder cones around, but they're nowhere near the quality of
the original Shimano part.

Uh-oh, doesn't look good. Wheels of Boulder (www.wheelsmfg.com) doesn't list
anything but axles for 7400 hubs, and Quality Bicycle Products doesn't sell
anything that old. If you can find cones for under $20 each that will keep
your hubs in good working order, I'd go for it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky said:
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

| I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
| I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
| wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. I hate
| to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...
|

| --
| daveornee

Dave: NOS (new old stock) stuff can get difficult to find, and prices can
sometimes skyrocket. We will often buy complete hubs and part them out when
we see closeouts. But if you're looking for something really inexpensive,
you might see if there's an Ultegra equivalent that could work. Don't
remember off-hand if that's the case (and I'm not at the shop). There may be
some Wheels of Boulder cones around, but they're nowhere near the quality of
the original Shimano part.

Uh-oh, doesn't look good. Wheels of Boulder (www.wheelsmfg.com) doesn't list
anything but axles for 7400 hubs, and Quality Bicycle Products doesn't sell
anything that old. If you can find cones for under $20 each that will keep
your hubs in good working order, I'd go for it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Mike,
Thank you for the response. I guessed that status as where I would find myself. Fortunately, the hubs are now out of the wheels. As much as I hate to not use the hubs, I think I will save them for parts.

"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
> I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
> wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. I hate
> to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...

I recently replaced a set of cones HB 6500 at just over $5 each in US money
but I live in the UK. I was surprised by Mike's comment about paying $20
each. I got mine from my LBS which is affiliated to the site below and I
guess the price is the full Shimano retail price here in the UK. They appear
to have what you want listed for just under $8 US equivalent each (just
scroll down the page). Even with postage from the UK (they are very small
and light) you should easily be able to beat $20.

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/list.aspx?Page=2&vertical=1&ref=14232

Graham

On May 16, 7:40 am, daveornee <daveornee.39i...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
> I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
> wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service.  I hate
> to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...
>
> --

Dave,
Check out www.thethirdhand.com, thirdhand/loosescrews has DA EX cones,
which they claim fits HB7400 and HB7600 track, front hubs:

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.c...mano Front&item_id=SH-2331500&id=723396727224

Good Luck!

On May 16, 7:40 am, daveornee <daveornee.39i...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
> I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
> wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service.  I hate
> to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...
>
> --

Also, thethirdhand/loose screw has some rear cones that might work:

Dura Ace EX FH7250, FH7260 Right Rear Cone - also fits Dura Ace 7400 6
and 7 speed cassette hubs.

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.c...imano Rear&item_id=SH-2470402&id=723396727224

Dura Ace AX and EX Left Rear Cone, 10x15mm - This may or may not work
as it fits left rear cone fits Dura Ace EX models FH7250 & FH7260, AX
models FH7360 & FH7370 and Dura Ace freewheel hub models HB7110 &
HB7120.

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.c...imano Rear&item_id=SH-2431500&id=723396727224

graham said:
"daveornee" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
> I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
> wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. I hate
> to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...

I recently replaced a set of cones HB 6500 at just over $5 each in US money
but I live in the UK. I was surprised by Mike's comment about paying $20
each. I got mine from my LBS which is affiliated to the site below and I
guess the price is the full Shimano retail price here in the UK. They appear
to have what you want listed for just under $8 US equivalent each (just
scroll down the page). Even with postage from the UK (they are very small
and light) you should easily be able to beat $20.

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/list.aspx?Page=2&vertical=1&ref=14232

Graham
Thank you. Too bad they don't ship internationally.

bfd said:
On May 16, 7:40*am, daveornee <daveornee.39i...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I am searching for a REASONABLE source for HB-7400 cones.
> I have a couple of HB-7400 hubs that were "ridden hard and put away
> wet" that need new cones along with the rest of the hub service. *I hate
> to "can" them due to costs of replacement parts...
>
> --

Dave,
Check out www.thethirdhand.com, thirdhand/loosescrews has DA EX cones,
which they claim fits HB7400 and HB7600 track, front hubs:

http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.c...mano Front&item_id=SH-2331500&id=723396727224

Good Luck!
These look like a reasonable prospect. Thank you.

> I recently replaced a set of cones HB 6500 at just over $5 each in US
> money but I live in the UK. I was surprised by Mike's comment about paying
> $20 each.

I didn't mean to say they'd actually cost $20 each (although they might). I
meant that it would be worth that much to keep a good wheel in play.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA