red, red wine

On 2005-12-14, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> Remember that song and remember how the last part was done? Was Bob
> Marley the first rapper?

Hardly, since it was Neil Diamond who wrote and first performed it
back in '67 as a mellow country song. In 1969 Tony Tribe, a
little known Jamaican artist, had a British charts hit with his
eventually-to-be-raggae ska version. Other artists such as Vic Dana
and Roy Drusky made minor showings on the charts with the song in
various guises before UB40, a Brit rock/raggae band made it the super
hit classic we know today. I don't know when Marley glommed onto it,
but it was never really one of his songs.

nb