Rehab training...

ubpetey

Jul 30, 2009
Hello,

I was recently hit by a pickup truck when I was out riding. I broke my pelvis and wrecked my bike, and am currently laid up for about 6 more weeks.

I used to compete in Tri's but was looking to focus more on biking. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting back into biking. I know that It will be slow going at first since I will be off my leg for about 3 months and will have lots of rehab to complete.

I am also going to be looking for a new bike. Any advice on a good bike thats not overly pricy? I am a bit of a heavy rider, just over 200, so that may factor in.

Looking forward to getting back on my bike really helps the recovery process, kind of a light at the end of the tunnel

Thanks

Pete

ubpetey said:
Hello,

I was recently hit by a pickup truck when I was out riding. I broke my pelvis and wrecked my bike, and am currently laid up for about 6 more weeks.

I used to compete in Tri's but was looking to focus more on biking. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on getting back into biking. I know that It will be slow going at first since I will be off my leg for about 3 months and will have lots of rehab to complete.

I am also going to be looking for a new bike. Any advice on a good bike thats not overly pricy? I am a bit of a heavy rider, just over 200, so that may factor in.

Looking forward to getting back on my bike really helps the recovery process, kind of a light at the end of the tunnel

Thanks

Pete

Hi there

A few of the guys here have come back from nasty accidents, i'm sure they'll have some good advice.

In regard to buying a bike, you could get a better response by starting a thread here: Bike buying advice - Cycling Forums

regards

Thanks! Im not as worried about the bike right now, just curious how getting back on a bike will be. Kinda worried I will be a bit hesitant since this is the second time an airhead driver didnt see me.

I figure I will take the pile of Cannondale that was left over to my LBS to see if anything can be scrapped haha

ubpetey said:
Thanks! Im not as worried about the bike right now, just curious how getting back on a bike will be. Kinda worried I will be a bit hesitant since this is the second time an airhead driver didnt see me.

I figure I will take the pile of Cannondale that was left over to my LBS to see if anything can be scrapped haha
The indoor trainer can be your friend when starting back. That's what I did.

See here for some thoughts on my journey coming back from serious injury:
Alex's Cycle Blog: MAPpity doo dah, MAPpity day
Alex's Cycle Blog: bon anniversaire II

Plenty of links to the detail in the above.

Basically, take it really easy and be patient. Do today what you need to do so that you can progress to tomorrow, but do no more than necessary. Some days aren't so good and progress doesn't always go the way you want. But persist and remain positive and you will improve.

The more serious the injury, the longer the rehab back to previous form and beyond.

Good luck with it.

A physical therapist will be your real friend. Let the PT know what your wants and/or expectations are and work toward 'em. I've come back from a few bad crashes, and the come back always starts with PT.

As for a new bike, I would wait quite a while. Your bike fit might be in flux for quite a while, as a result of changes from the accident and changes resulting from PT and recovery.

Best advice: take the pain meds they give you so you can get through PT and work hard in PT.